Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

Yes, i thought so too. Still, i somehow seem to prefer it that way :party:
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Hey Andy, another one for the updated manual when you get time :-)
I was just trying to get the midi triggering working on the envelope using a Midi controlled AU in logic.
Nothing worked until I actually enabled the midi button.
I assumed that because I was setting the midi trigger in the envelope that it would just work, and at the same time assumed that the midi button was only for key tracking.
All good, but it took some trying to figure out why and I kept looking at the manual for answers.

Mogular wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:25 am Hey Andy, another one for the updated manual when you get time :-)
I was just trying to get the midi triggering working on the envelope using a Midi controlled AU in logic.
Nothing worked until I actually enabled the midi button.
I assumed that because I was setting the midi trigger in the envelope that it would just work, and at the same time assumed that the midi button was only for key tracking.
All good, but it took some trying to figure out why and I kept looking at the manual for answers.
Sorry for the trouble, and yes I will update the manual at some stage. At least the MIDI button is already covered in the manual:

Parameter: Midi Active
Label: MIDI
Description: Enable MIDI triggering and keyboard tracking
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

Oh damn, I didn't even read that. Too many wrong assumptions sorry.

On another note, I was actually comparing the Drop against the Softube Model 72 moog emulation, particularly how the two sound when the filter is overdriven.
The results were markedly different.
Two things I noted:
The envelope shapes are very different. The Drop envelopes appear to be completely linear. I was able to emulate the Softube envelope by triggering the Drop lfo 2 and then shaping it.
The sound of the Model 72 filter was very different to the Drop Prodigy filter and I couldn't get any comparable sound, though I actually got closer with the SHR filter.

So, are there any plans to make the envelope section more flexible to enable non-linear curves?
Are there any plans to model a minimoog filter?

I always assumed that the reason you did the Prodigy was that it was essentially the same as other moog ladder types. I am of course assuming here that the Softube filter DOES sound like a minimoog filter :-D

Mogular wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:18 pm On another note, I was actually comparing the Drop against the Softube Model 72 moog emulation, particularly how the two sound when the filter is overdriven.
Two things I noted:
The envelope shapes are very different. The Drop envelopes appear to be completely linear. I was able to emulate the Softube envelope by triggering the Drop lfo 2 and then shaping it.
The sound of the Model 72 filter was very different to the Drop Prodigy filter and I couldn't get any comparable sound, though I actually got closer with the SHR filter.

So, are there any plans to make the envelope section more flexible to enable non-linear curves?

I always assumed that the reason you did the Prodigy was that it was essentially the same as other moog ladder types. I am of course assuming here that the Softube filter DOES sound like a minimoog filter :-D
The Drop envelope section is a model of the Moog Taurus' envelope section, so it is highly non-linear and reacts smoothly to changes in the input, and is actually both a regular envelope AHR generator, as well as an envelope follower - as an effect plugin it's very important to have an envelope follower! There is no possibility in the model to artificially alter the curve shape since the shape is dictated by the circuit itself.

The PRD model is an accurate emulation of the Moog Prodigy filter section. The Minimoog and has a very different resonance section, especially if you include the entire AMP section of the Minimoog with feedback. I cannot comment on the accuracy of the Softube model, and I currently don't have any plans to add a Minimoog model into The Drop.

I recommend if you want the sound of a Minimoog then you should buy an analog Minimoog, or one of the many existing models of one, The Drop isn't going to reproduce this sound.

Thanks Andy for the insight.

andy-cytomic wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:17 am
Mogular wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:18 pm On another note, I was actually comparing the Drop against the Softube Model 72 moog emulation, particularly how the two sound when the filter is overdriven.
Two things I noted:

The Drop envelope section is a model of the Moog Taurus' envelope section, so it is highly non-linear and reacts smoothly to changes in the input, and is actually both a regular envelope AHR generator, as well as an envelope follower - as an effect plugin it's very important to have an envelope follower! There is no possibility in the model to artificially alter the curve shape since the shape is dictated by the circuit itself.

The PRD model is an accurate emulation of the Moog Prodigy filter section. The Minimoog and has a very different resonance section, especially if you include the entire AMP section of the Minimoog with feedback. I cannot comment on the accuracy of the Softube model, and I currently don't have any plans to add a Minimoog model into The Drop.

I recommend if you want the sound of a Minimoog then you should buy an analog Minimoog, or one of the many existing models of one, The Drop isn't going to reproduce this sound.
That's some interesting insight, thanks.

andy-cytomic wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:59 am VST3 support doesn't actually add any functionality to the plugin that isn't already there, but I understand how inflexible Steinberg is. Once I have finished The Drop I will look at updating to the latest version of Juce which allows for VST3 support as well as M1 support, but those initial builds will most likely not be very stable.
Just noticed this and was wondering, what else do you have to do to the Drop to consider it "finished". I'm also looking forward to the VST3 version.

thanks

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:15 pm
andy-cytomic wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:59 am VST3 support doesn't actually add any functionality to the plugin that isn't already there, but I understand how inflexible Steinberg is. Once I have finished The Drop I will look at updating to the latest version of Juce which allows for VST3 support as well as M1 support, but those initial builds will most likely not be very stable.
Just noticed this and was wondering, what else do you have to do to the Drop to consider it "finished". I'm also looking forward to the VST3 version.

thanks
I consider The Drop finished. This will be a maintenance release that will update the common framework used by all Cytomic plugins, so there won’t be anything specific added to The Drop.

Any ETA on Apple Silicon builds? Also I would really love a Polivoks filter in Drop. :love:

ysengrin wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:32 am Any ETA on Apple Silicon builds? Also I would really love a Polivoks filter in Drop. :love:
just above your post is this:
I consider The Drop finished. This will be a maintenance release that will update the common framework used by all Cytomic plugins, so there won’t be anything specific added to The Drop.

Any news about the upcoming cytomic modular ?
A screenshot to ease the waiting time ? :hyper:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:51 am Any news about the upcoming cytomic modular ?
A screenshot to ease the waiting time ? :hyper:
A modular?! :o

andy-cytomic wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:22 am
What's going on with an official Scream 1.0 release?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Return to “Effects”