Tracktion Waveform - note velocity problem

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Waveform Pro

Hello,
I've been playing around with the DAW for a couple of weeks now and every issue I had so far I managed to solve with a help from the manual but there's one problem that should be easy to fix yet I just can't do it. When I try to change the velocity of an individual note in the MIDI editor it does nothing - no matter if I change it through properties (even if I set it to 0 this way the lowered note is still played just as loud as the others) or by dragging the things at the bottom. That really limits me. Is anyone able to help?

It reverts back to the original setting, or you just can't hear the difference ? What VST are you using ?
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

The effect of velocity changes will depend on what you are driving with them.
Just tested this w/Korg M1 (because it has a monitor for velocity)
The 'lolipops' in the lower trace vary the played velocity.
The velocity parameter in the clip attribute window seems to be a 'scaler' for the velocity in the track.

Seems all normal...

I edit the velocity a lot, by dragging the handles in the velocity lane. Works without a problem for me.

Thank you for your replies.
I know it sounds stupid but the problem still persists.
To answer a previous question it doesn't revert back when I close the MIDI editor, when I come back to it it still shows note's increased/decreased volume value, the one which I chose. But when I play the MIDI clip every note sounds the same. I made a screenshot to give you more insight:
https://i.imgur.com/lSNZD0k.png
As you can see the value for the first three chords in the velocity lane is lowered, as well as the number in the properties box that shows 16. But it does nothing, no change.
It happens with every VST for me, even the ones that come with the DAW like Collective.

All good here. I assume you've nothing playing on other tracks.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Looks like I'm totally clueless.
Do I need to have something in the other track for this to work? Isn't there an option to lower the volume of an individual note even if the MIDI clip I'm working on is played solo? I feel that I need that option for when it comes to drums programming

No to the other track thing. I worked in IT for years, and people do daft things, so wanted to be sure you don't have the same thing unedited playing on another track. You'd be surprised what people do.

I can't think what might be causing your problem. Do you have any other versions of Waveform/Tracktion installed that you could try it on? Do you know any other user you could send the project to to see if the same happens for them?
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Is MPE on or off on the affected track? Try turning it on... or try turning it off.

When I upgraded to W9, calling up tracks created in T6 produced a lot of weird things, especially with W9 ignoring pitch bends. Turning off MPE on that track fixed the problem... and if it was on, turning it off fixed it as well.

Click the clip in the main window and check the properties pane at the bottom for the MPE status.

No idea if this will help you, but it has fixed a lot of wacky stuff for me.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Turning MPE on and off as suggested above finally fixed it for me (I hope that not only temporarily). Thank you for all your helpful replies!

I seriously did not expect that to work, I have to be honest. But I'm glad it did!
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Where can MPE be turned on and off exactly? Is it the property "MIDI Channel Mode"?

Hi
I have almost the same issue. Adjusting note velocity in a step clip does nothing unless its all the way down.
Turning MPE on or off doesn't help. Playing some drumsamples in Waveforms own drumsampler.

Waveform 11.5.9 on catalina

burn wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:51 pm Playing some drumsamples in Waveforms own drumsampler.
No instrument is required to obey the velocity of a note. Each pad on the Drum Sampler has the ability to be sensitive to velocity by percentage from 0 to 100%. Turned all the way to the left (which might be the default) it will trigger the sample at full volume no matter the velocity of the MIDI note.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

Thanks! I wasn't aware of that button.

Return to “Tracktion”