May Contest: Gossip - "Free For All" - Results: We have a winner.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The winners

donkey tugger 83
mountainmaster 78
kovacs 71

beanpole 67
tomtom1 62
laguna rising 58
eassae 52
dr. apostrophex 52
lessera 49
the noodlist 47
3lu5iv3 26
harvon 9

congratulations all of you.
Last edited by Hellfog on Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Been purging X86 plugins (I got too much stuff) and came up with a synth thing while trying them. I considered words, but it's a no go.
ps
Submitted
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Some quick thoughts/comments about the track submissions so far:

HARVON - That's a lot of shoveling... how morbid. The melancholic strings with the light beat on a... bodhran(?) add to the gloomy mood of the track. The sampled strings sound a bit too General MIDI for my tastes. That uber-wide vocal track is really difficult to understand within the mix.

THE NOODLIST - Nice retrowave intro. Not crazy about the buzzy lead synth. Vocals sound good, just wish they were not so buried in the mix. You've a good voice. Showcase it. The short symphonic piano break was cool.

3LU5IV3 - That electro-dub bass and the syncopated chords are cool. I am not sure their connection with Sparta though... I like the glitchy/fiddly percs. Not crazy about the lead synth.

What is it that is free? :help:

lessera wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:38 am Some quick thoughts/comments about the track submissions so far:

HARVON - That's a lot of shoveling... how morbid. The melancholic strings with the light beat on a... bodhran(?) add to the gloomy mood of the track. The sampled strings sound a bit too General MIDI for my tastes. That uber-wide vocal track is really difficult to understand within the mix.

THE NOODLIST - Nice retrowave intro. Not crazy about the buzzy lead synth. Vocals sound good, just wish they were not so buried in the mix. You've a good voice. Showcase it. The short symphonic piano break was cool.

3LU5IV3 - That electro-dub bass and the syncopated chords are cool. I am not sure their connection with Sparta though... I like the glitchy/fiddly percs. Not crazy about the lead synth.
Thx 4 da feedback!
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

Daimonicon wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:40 am What is it that is free? :help:

You are free to do whatever you want to with May submission. Except for the time limit.

3lu5iv3 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:56 am Thx 4 da feedback!
+1
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

"The sampled strings sound a bit ...."

You have ears, the instruments are sf2 soundfonts through tx16wx :)

Would we some month choose to have an "add effects and mix" -contest I would not have much idea what to do.

@tomtom1, your track is not downloadable.

Some more thoughts:

TOMTOM1 - Dramatic. Sounds like the score to an episode of some 80's action TV show. I didn't mind the de-tuned sound of the plucked string instrument, but I found the de-tuned brass section to be too much for my tastes. 1:55 - 2:20 sounds pretty sweet.

MOUNTAINMASTER - Nice one. I've little familiarity with this style of music, but I like what I hear. My only critique would be that boomy low perc (not sure what it is). It is really wide, and a little unsettling to listen to on headphones. Good stuff though.

mountainmaster wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:56 pm @tomtom1, your track is not downloadable.
should work now... never used this :)
@lessera - tell me if the drums are too loud? that's the real question! :D
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

tomtom1 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:23 pm@lessera - tell me if the drums are too loud? that's the real question! :D
Level sounds alright to me... but I gotta say, for a track listed as EDM, those drums sound a little too acoustic for what I'd expect. Sounds more like garage-experimental. But that's all just creative choice stuff (and really quite subjective).

EASSEA - On a technical level, it's hard to find fault with your track. Nice work... On a creative/artistic level, I don't gel with this type of music. But again, that's just a preference thing, so it really doesn't matter my opinion on that. It's a bumpy ride, but kept me engaged throughout.

Lessera–Thanks for taking the time to listen and the feedback. I appreciate it.
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

lessera wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:48 am
tomtom1 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:23 pm@lessera - tell me if the drums are too loud? that's the real question! :D
Level sounds alright to me... but I gotta say, for a track listed as EDM, those drums sound a little too acoustic for what I'd expect. Sounds more like garage-experimental. But that's all just creative choice stuff (and really quite subjective).
:) thanks...
they sound acoustic because they are somehow acoustic. it's the free spitfire audiot labs drums. i am not that familiar with the different pop-styles - that's why i called it edm. i have a classical background, there you could me ask about genres :D
it is better to have a track with some mistakes than a track without any soul
myself in 2022

Return to “Music Cafe”