Launchpad mk2 as clip launcher issues

KVRist
58 posts since 19 Feb, 2017

Post Sat May 15, 2021 9:12 am

Firstly, Moss I want to tank you for your great job !

I got a novation launchpad mk2 and there is something that I don't understand
Here is what the manual says :
Here Is what I have :
When I press the "next / prev track" keys, it works, i see the next/previous track being selected. When I'm at the end of the current group and I press again, I see the next group of 8 tracks. but then, impossible to move back to the first group because no track is selected. I have to select the track manually with the mouse in bitwig for it to work again.
When I press previous again from this point, and want to go back to the first group, The master track is selected instead.

When I use the bird eye view I'm then able to move in the grid, but it's unpractical because it semi randomly changes to vertical/horizontal mode.

I thought that I would be able to move in the clip grid simply with the arrows but this does not seem to be the case.

Thanks for your help

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Sun May 16, 2021 12:58 am

I noticed that when I don't use group tracks, the issue is not present. I can scroll through the whole grid with the arrows (no "deselect" issue). I guess the workaround for now is to use sends instead of group tracks

KVRAF
8779 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Sun May 16, 2021 3:47 am

Yeah, working with groups gets confusing in Clip Launcher, not only with Launchpad but even in the DAW itself. I try to avoid it, too.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Sun May 16, 2021 2:04 pm

Even in the daw ? What do you mean with that ? I'm using groups often, it's a practical way to apply effects or volume / panning to a group of tracks without routing and can be useful for moving around groups of clips in the arrangement

KVRAF
19051 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Sun May 16, 2021 2:38 pm

antic604 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 3:47 am
Yeah, working with groups gets confusing in Clip Launcher, not only with Launchpad but even in the DAW itself. I try to avoid it, too.
What do you find confusing about working with Groups in the Clip Launcher in Bitwig?

KVRAF
8779 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Sun May 16, 2021 9:21 pm

pdxindy wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 2:38 pm
What do you find confusing about working with Groups in the Clip Launcher in Bitwig?
Well, perhaps "confusing" is thewrong word. I try not to use Groups as an arranging tool ("I want to launch those 3 clips together") or even for common processing, so I'd rather not see them in my clip launcher, i.e. have them represented as a small/thin "frame" and non-interactive, so that I could see they're there, but largely for organisational & visual guidance purposes.

Just a personal preference thing, really :)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Sun May 30, 2021 12:51 pm

I tried to use it again today. Couldn't play a note on it. It lights up and shows the play mode. bitwig does not see any notes being played. I cannot change anything from the launchpad. changing to session mode / anything on the launchpad has no effect. When I play notes from bitwig, I see the color change on the launchpad. It seems like the communication launchpad -> bitwig is broken, but bitwig -> launchpad works.

Confusing, because it worked a week ago (on the same 3.* version of bitwig). In the controller settings midi out and in are correctly configured... what can I do ?

KVRAF
2788 posts since 13 May, 2004

Post Sun May 30, 2021 10:05 pm

antismap wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 12:51 pm
I tried to use it again today. Couldn't play a note on it. It lights up and shows the play mode. bitwig does not see any notes being played. I cannot change anything from the launchpad. changing to session mode / anything on the launchpad has no effect. When I play notes from bitwig, I see the color change on the launchpad. It seems like the communication launchpad -> bitwig is broken, but bitwig -> launchpad works.

Confusing, because it worked a week ago (on the same 3.* version of bitwig). In the controller settings midi out and in are correctly configured... what can I do ?
Have you checked to run the latest Firmware with Novations' Components app?

Return to “Controller Scripting”