Smart EQ 3 is out !

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Foliasound wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:06 pm And music might be one day advertised and sold with taglines like: "mixed by human!".
But after the Butlerian jihad the tagline will be "mixed by mentat!"
Some music with visuals and mixed tutorials related to game dev and sound design: https://www.youtube.com/@MetasideOfficial

Vortifex wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:10 pm For people who invest in a plugin like this, how does it affect your use of more standard EQs? I guess you still need them for shelves/cuts etc or do you find you don't need them anymore?
Understand this is a time saver. It's an assistant that does the mundane mixing stuff but you bring it over the finish line. You can do the rest of the adjustments manually in the same plugin. Or another if that's your preference.

If you're doing processing before this, then sure, use whatever EQs you want. e.g., corrective bass shaping with Chop Shop or Voice of God/Bark of Dog can help anemic signals before SmartEQ does more broad work.

metaside wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:33 pm
Foliasound wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:06 pm And music might be one day advertised and sold with taglines like: "mixed by human!".
But after the Butlerian jihad the tagline will be "mixed by mentat!"
Whoaaah, a "Dune" fan here?! I've read the whole series three times in my life, man!!!

Anyone know how long the intro sale will last?
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

at boutique it says june 7th...

Demoing this. I might be missing something, but why no automatic volume compensation ?

Some suggested eq curves drastically change the volume, and it gets worse when using group functions. So where's the volume control from within the group settings ?
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:41 am Demoing this. I might be missing something, but why no automatic volume compensation ?

Some suggested eq curves drastically change the volume, and it gets worse when using group functions. So where's the volume control from within the group settings ?
I've got the same question too

yellowmix wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:10 pm
Vortifex wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:10 pm For people who invest in a plugin like this, how does it affect your use of more standard EQs? I guess you still need them for shelves/cuts etc or do you find you don't need them anymore?
Understand this is a time saver. It's an assistant that does the mundane mixing stuff but you bring it over the finish line. You can do the rest of the adjustments manually in the same plugin. Or another if that's your preference.
Question is how is a static curve derived from a small portion of an audio better than i.e gullfoss or teote or similar plugs.
And is boosting really a part of mundane mixing? I dont think i ever boost to “clean and tidy” something.

Yeah i'll pass on this update. The lack of automatic volume control is a huge fail imo.

Plus : no reference learning, not enough profiles, weird bypass behaviour (in Cubase), too much cpu useage in dynamic mode (compared to other such plug-ins) and some weird design choices (little knobs and such). Next to that i read some posts about it needing network availability, which you can't check because the demo version always needs internet.

This eq just ain't that "smart".
Last edited by dionenoid on Tue May 18, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More BPM please

Well, I love this thing. It's kind of game changer for me as mixing non-nerd.
It cleans up nicely masking tracks.
For me it's pretty smart.
By the the way: you can dial in dynamic EQ behaviour...

martinjuenke wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:51 pm Well, I love this thing. It's kind of game changer for me as mixing non-nerd.
It cleans up nicely masking tracks.
For me it's pretty smart.
By the the way: you can dial in dynamic EQ behaviour...
same

martinjuenke wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:51 pm By the the way: you can dial in dynamic EQ behaviour...
I know, but it's still "dynamic" based on captured profile.

I tried it and i still think it doesn't bring that much to the table if you already have Gullfoss or TEOTE or similar. As far masking goes, i prefer to notch space manually when necessary than let an EQ wreak havoc on the signal.
As far as i learned when mixing, less actually is more. I find most of these tools try to do WAY too much with the signal.

Ploki wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:42 am
martinjuenke wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:51 pm By the the way: you can dial in dynamic EQ behaviour...
I know, but it's still "dynamic" based on captured profile.

I tried it and i still think it doesn't bring that much to the table if you already have Gullfoss or TEOTE or similar.
I already have Gullfoss as well and see both compliment each other nicely (Sonible on tracks and Gullfoss on Mixbuss). To overdo something is at the end the responsibility of the user, not a flaw of the tool (at least in my opinion). However, tastes differ obviously…

martinjuenke wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:15 pm
I already have Gullfoss as well and see both compliment each other nicely (Sonible on tracks and Gullfoss on Mixbuss). To overdo something is at the end the responsibility of the user, not a flaw of the tool (at least in my opinion). However, tastes differ obviously…
It is, but smartly tuned parameters make better specific tools.
You can do basically ANYTHING with melda. But anything also means a lot of garbage, because they’re so open (still love ‘em tho)

I had the same quip with gullfoss. Stop fckin boosting, cut and clean and let me do the boosting. (Thats why i like soothe2)

Return to “Effects”