Refactor (ElectroProg - Seismic Re-Animation)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Have to admit - I found it hard to get into, but then i have to really be in the mood for these tangerine dream type sonic journeys. Maybe i'll try again tonight while lying in bed. I certainly respect the skills it must take to put these epic tracks together :)

Very nice! Not much to say that others haven't said already, but I like it. :)

Hope the rest of this year continues to allow for some creativity.
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Support the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers

ecamburn wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:26 pm Commented over at the ambient forum. There’s a lot to love with this. Great sounds. So many different moods. This is a real journey.
The sounds were factory patches, a couple of which I modified, but there aren't that many sounds on here. I think there are 11 synth instances in the track and no more than eight of them are active at any time. It was a case on mix 'n' match. I'm still using a 32-bit DAW at the moment, so I have to work within the memory restrictions imposed by that. Hopefully, I'll be able to do something about that soon.

Thanks very much for listening and commenting. Glad you enjoyed it :)

wavephonic wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:37 pm lots of strong drinks over the past while, so check! the build to the seq was comfortable, then the added elements to the seq over time was nice. that screaming kind of sound was really cool. early tangerine was on my mind. when I've gone back to an older piece I find it more interesting just because I would've missed an idea or sound that I now have for it. you've got me scanning my drive now, lol.
good to hear things are slowly but surely moving forward
I hope you're keeping the alcohol intake under control :wink:

I'm currently looking at on old piece on my HD, and replacing VSTs with more suitable options, although I am also replacing the MIDI in some cases. Some of these old pieces can evolve very slowly indeed.

Thanks very much for listening and commenting, and glad you picked up on the TD vibes here :)

Tomorrow I shall spring-clean the computer, and next week I hope to make some repairs to the shed roof. Onwards and upwards (literally).

folderol wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:36 am Commented 'elsewhere' but thought it worth an extra push here too :)
Thanks very much for the listen and comments, folderol. Glad you enjoyed it :)

Jeez, can it get richer in that bass ?! :) Opening sequence sounds like a dark passacaglia, love the cut timing near the 6 minute mark. The shift in harmonic material near the 10 minute mark was very effective.

And you are clearly the master of your sound palette.

For its length the piece is simply designed but you maintain interest and variety with your instrumentation and melodic work. Outstanding work.

Best regards,

dp

Jesse Gorter wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:17 am ok second time listening, and it's quite a trip. It is not my favourite of you, but it is a pretty great like always from you
Wow. That's what I call persistence and dedication :o Thanks very much for the second listen, Jesse. Glad you're still enjoying it :)

frank1985 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:26 pm Have to admit - I found it hard to get into, but then i have to really be in the mood for these tangerine dream type sonic journeys. Maybe i'll try again tonight while lying in bed. I certainly respect the skills it must take to put these epic tracks together :)
It's not for everybody. My best friend is a big ProgRock fan, but he can't stand TD. I just compensated for that by buying 3 of the 2018 remasters :)

synthgeek wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:12 am Very nice! Not much to say that others haven't said already, but I like it. :)
Thanks very much for listening. Glad you enjoyed it :)
synthgeek wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:12 am Hope the rest of this year continues to allow for some creativity.
I'm working on a new piece at the moment, but it is presenting me with some difficulties and challenges. Hopefully, I'll be able to resolve them.

I have recently been "creative" with some shed and door repairs :wink:

The door repair required only one tool - a hammer :D

seismic1 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:45 pm I'm working on a new piece at the moment, but it is presenting me with some difficulties and challenges. Hopefully, I'll be able to resolve them.
I hope that works out for you, I'm looking forward to hearing the results. :)
I have recently been "creative" with some shed and door repairs :wink:

The door repair required only one tool - a hammer :D
Lol, sounds like a fun repair job. :tu:
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Support the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers

StudioDave wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:40 pm Jeez, can it get richer in that bass ?! :)
Ha. This track seemed to demand that sort of approach. In the past I've been a little wary of doing that, but it seemed to work out ok here due to the simple basslines.

It's funny, but the track I'm working on now suggested another bass-laden atmosphere from the outset, but as I have shaped and re-shaped the piece, it now appears that any bass will be more of a background accompaniment.
StudioDave wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:40 pm Opening sequence sounds like a dark passacaglia, love the cut timing near the 6 minute mark. The shift in harmonic material near the 10 minute mark was very effective.
Working out the transition between the slow intro and the sequenced arpeggiator was not altogether straight forward, but once I had made the decision to abandon subtlety, things suddenly became much easier :)
StudioDave wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:40 pm
And you are clearly the master of your sound palette.
In all cases, the sounds were presets, some of which I modified. The trick is finding a complementary set of them.
StudioDave wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:40 pm
For its length the piece is simply designed but you maintain interest and variety with your instrumentation and melodic work. Outstanding work.

Best regards,

dp
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, Dave. Glad you enjoyed it :tu: :D

synthgeek wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:26 pm
seismic1 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:45 pm I'm working on a new piece at the moment, but it is presenting me with some difficulties and challenges. Hopefully, I'll be able to resolve them.
I hope that works out for you, I'm looking forward to hearing the results. :)
So am I :)

Hi Tim. Great track with lots of very cool atmosphere. Not saying a lot because I wanted to listen.
Well done!
:)
Can hear your influences here in a great way.
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

I like long songs, specially when theres a progression there (not just repetition of themes and motifs). It reminds me that music could be like a book too (thats how symphonies work or operas, in a way), you have introduction, development, more development and the conclusion. We are so used to 3-6 minutes songs tha we forgot how is to sit, listen, enjoy and ONLY do it... Not making music just a background thing.... I liked a lot the up and downs, the synths, the sweeps.... and the development and the eerie feeling. Very introspective for me, great song!
My music project "Strange Adventures in Void" :arrow:
https://soundcloud.com/savoid

Very enjoyable listen :tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”