Ableton Live 11

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

antic604 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:46 pm
WasteLand wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:38 pmno! you cán be trusted to buy them back again. the cosmos is in balance again... :scared:
The guy I got Live 11 from had 2 licenses, so you might be onto something there ;) :D
:hihi: :tu:

antic604 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:34 pm
pdxindy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:38 pm
antic604 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:36 pmI just got rid of both Live 11 Suite and Cubase Pro 11 (for good this time, I promise)
I want in on the betting pool!!
Just FYI, got them both back... :oops: :dog:

I really should be banned from here, because I can't be trusted :D
Welcome back then 🥂
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

antic604 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:34 pm
pdxindy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:38 pm
antic604 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:36 pmI just got rid of both Live 11 Suite and Cubase Pro 11 (for good this time, I promise)
I want in on the betting pool!!
Just FYI, got them both back... :oops: :dog:

I really should be banned from here, because I can't be trusted :D
I trust you to always buy them back! :ud:

confirmed, the mentioned
MIDI Channel Routings: you can now route MIDI to and from Max for Live audio effects (just like with VST devices). Instruments can also accept MIDI from anywhere within Live. So now you could analyse incoming audio and send the data to your controller, use MIDI notes from any track in Live as a sidechain input for audio processing, and much more.
- https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/live-11 ... e-devices/

MIDI routing selector can be added to any existing Max for Live audio effect,
pretty cool :tu:

the selector example project itself can be found here
https://cycling74.com/articles/what%27s ... -11-part-1 in the zip
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Any MBP M1 users whose CPU is maxing out with one or two channels ?? I am seriously considering selling Live 11 and Push 2 as I find it totally unusable .... no exaggeration or venting , just that in my case it just cannot deal with more than 5 or 6 channels with one or two plugs on each. It literally start crackling and I could fry an egg on the trackpad.

3dsmatt wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:29 am Any MBP M1 users whose CPU is maxing out with one or two channels ?? I am seriously considering selling Live 11 and Push 2 as I find it totally unusable .... no exaggeration or venting , just that in my case it just cannot deal with more than 5 or 6 channels with one or two plugs on each. It literally start crackling and I could fry an egg on the trackpad.
What plugin ? Because I don't have any problem with my Macbook Air...

Jolaff wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:43 am
3dsmatt wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:29 am Any MBP M1 users whose CPU is maxing out with one or two channels ?? I am seriously considering selling Live 11 and Push 2 as I find it totally unusable .... no exaggeration or venting , just that in my case it just cannot deal with more than 5 or 6 channels with one or two plugs on each. It literally start crackling and I could fry an egg on the trackpad.

808 rack ... Valhalla and TimP SSL Bus compressor.

Bitwig 4 was just announced with full M1 support. You could sell your Live 11 license and switch over, since performance is likely to much better with Bitwig running natively on Apple silicon. Keep the Push 2 though, because it works great in Bitwig!

Edit: or alternatively, just stop using the Tim P library on Nebula or increase the buffer settings at least. I don't have Nebula but I've had issues running Aquas on my PC (8 core i7 overclocked to 4.2Ghz) at low buffer settings.
Always Read the Manual!

3dsmatt wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:59 am

use 48kHz while playing, switch to 96kHz for renders if you must. I’d also go for a higher samples buffer number than 128 unless you are doing a lot of live recording.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:06 am
3dsmatt wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:59 am

use 48kHz while playing, switch to 96kHz for renders if you must. I’d also go for a higher samples buffer number than 128 unless you are doing a lot of live recording.
Are these the kind of comprises you should be forced to make though when using a professional digital audio workstation ?? Working in 96khz is not unheard of. And when it comes to sample buffer, the latency is terrible.... I literally can't play. It feels like it's about a second late! Even at 128 , when there are five or six tracks it is just awful.

....what I mean to say is that these things (which I have obviously considered) are not fixes, they are papering over cracks.

PieBerger wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:01 am
Bitwig 4 was just announced with full M1 support. You could sell your Live 11 license and switch over, since performance is likely to much better with Bitwig running natively on Apple silicon. Keep the Push 2 though, because it works great in Bitwig!

Edit: or alternatively, just stop using the Tim P library on Nebula or increase the buffer settings at least. I don't have Nebula but I've had issues running Aquas on my PC (8 core i7 overclocked to 4.2Ghz) at low buffer settings.

buffer settings is not really a fix. I can put the buffer size up and it'll scrape by at 96% with 8 or 9 tracks. But as soon as I want to record a vocal overdub , what do I do then ??

Same thing with freezing tracks. It just makes everything baked in and you have to unfreeze a track to adjust something the whole programme just turns into a mangled mess.

I'm using Logic at present..... I don't have any of the above issues as of yet. .... and I'm running it in Rosetta.

Your computer isn't up to it. Live 11 is running on Rosetta which uses more CPU, 96k and 128 sample buffer is crazy intensive, especially in Live which as a DAW optimised for live performance, uses more CPU (since it can't employ behind the scenes trickery to save CPU cycles, like Reaper, Cubase, Studio One et al can) and on top of that you are using a plugin that is notorious for being CPU heavy.

Even my monster PC would struggle to cope with the same load in Live 11...
Always Read the Manual!

3dsmatt wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:12 am Are these the kind of comprises you should be forced to make though when using a professional digital audio workstation ?? Working in 96khz is not unheard of. And when it comes to sample buffer, the latency is terrible.... I literally can't play. It feels like it's about a second late! Even at 128 , when there are five or six tracks it is just awful.

....what I mean to say is that these things (which I have obviously considered) are not fixes, they are papering over cracks.
There are limitations to everything, it depends what you feel is most important.
Maybe not a great move to leap straight into using a brand new and to an extent untried processor, let other people endure the frustrations and work out the kinks, come to it when it’s been out and used professionally for over a year. NASA’s 10 years is probably overkill ;)
Yes M1 is promising, but you’re only going to see the real benefit of it when people have created all the DAWs and plugins you use in native form. Until then there will be a translation overhead which may hamstring performance.

Personally I’ve adapted my workflow to lower sample buffers and latency for recording only, freeze tracks when I’ve finished making changes for now etc. It’s actually a good way to move forward on a track, ultimate tweakability at any time can ramp up the procrastination factor.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:06 am use 48kHz while playing, switch to 96kHz for renders.
That's useless. Upscaling won't make it better.

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:25 am
3dsmatt wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:12 am Are these the kind of comprises you should be forced to make though when using a professional digital audio workstation ?? Working in 96khz is not unheard of. And when it comes to sample buffer, the latency is terrible.... I literally can't play. It feels like it's about a second late! Even at 128 , when there are five or six tracks it is just awful.

There are limitations to everything, it depends what you feel is most important.
Maybe not a great move to leap straight into using a brand new and to an extent untried processor, let other people endure the frustrations and work out the kinks, come to it when it’s been out and used professionally for over a year. NASA’s 10 years is probably overkill ;)
Yes M1 is promising, but you’re only going to see the real benefit of it when people have created all the DAWs and plugins you use in native form. Until then there will be a translation overhead which may hamstring performance.

Personally I’ve adapted my workflow to lower sample buffers and latency for recording only, freeze tracks when I’ve finished making changes for now etc. It’s actually a good way to move forward on a track, ultimate tweakability at any time can ramp up the procrastination factor.
This. I know I have expressed negative feelings about Live's shortcomings in this very thread but ultimately I just got over them and carried on making music with the workarounds. I would like a native bounce in place, but until then I'll just have to resample or export as I go. It's tedious but it gets the job done and in the end, that's all that matters.
Always Read the Manual!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”