DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

underhippo wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:14 am hey moss
thats great! finally more life to the maschine jam
its a great controller hardware and your script is on the right way
a few things ,
how can i CREATE an empty clip ???
and
it will be really useful to have a different midi channel for each sequencer (!! :) )
let each sequencer control different bitwig channel

pressing shift while playing the pads stops the notes currently being presses
it can be nice to have the pressed notes keep playing while quickly pressing shift for something

thank you!
You can select to create empty clips for the record / shift+record button as well as on the session grid. Check the settings (and the manual).

Meanwhile, you can change MIDI channels in Bitwig pretty easily (on each channel input) and transform them. So, I think this is not really necessary anymore.

Hello Juergen i have a question i use drivenbymoss and it is almost perfect except i do not get the highlighted (white lines around the clips) for launching them. Am i doing something wrong?
So when i scroll down with the up and down arrow keys no indication is there in bitwig for which scenes are belonging to the two scene launcher arrows. With lots of scenes i get lost easily then!
How can i activate these helping lines? For better navigating the scenes.

By the way i'm using novation sl mk3 controller together with bitwig

If somebody else beside Juergen knows the answer he/she is welcome aswell ofcourse!

Thanks in advance

questionaire wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:01 pm Hello Juergen i have a question i use drivenbymoss and it is almost perfect except i do not get the highlighted (white lines around the clips) for launching them. Am i doing something wrong?
So when i scroll down with the up and down arrow keys no indication is there in bitwig for which scenes are belonging to the two scene launcher arrows. With lots of scenes i get lost easily then!
How can i activate these helping lines? For better navigating the scenes.

By the way i'm using novation sl mk3 controller together with bitwig

If somebody else beside Juergen knows the answer he/she is welcome aswell ofcourse!

Thanks in advance
Thanks for reporting, that was actually missing! Will be fixed in the next update!

Great then i will be more then happy and i can switch completely over to Bitwig!

When will that be the update?

Tyhanks for the controiller script as is!

And it is not that you have to thank me i t should be me who needs to thank you :-)

moss wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:33 am
pranaearth wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:22 am Hi Moss,
I'm so glad you did the script for Maschine Jam. I took it out of my closet and plugged it in to learn how it works in Bitwig.
I'm having a slight problem with your script.
I can use the Jam with no issues in stand alone Maschine software, and I can use the Bitwig created script with no issues within Bitwig.
But when I try to use your script, the not many things work as expected. I can raise and lower the volume of tracks, and I can play notes on instruments.
When I touch the Knob though, it acts like the play button, and the Play and Rec keys do nothing at all. When I touch a pad, it starts recording.
I'm sure I'm missing something simple and it's just me being a dumb beginner, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much for everything you do for us!
Prana
You need to install the template which comes included in the download. See the Installation notes in the manual.
I knew it was user error. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Hello Moss, i have one more question/request is it possible to have a option in controller setup to switch off the options/parameters/volume/panorama messages on bitwig screen to off?

Maybe the messages are helpfull when you just start to use the script but after an hour your quite used and recognise everything without these messages.

Vielen dank,

questionaire wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:20 am Hello Moss, i have one more question/request is it possible to have a option in controller setup to switch off the options/parameters/volume/panorama messages on bitwig screen to off?

Maybe the messages are helpfull when you just start to use the script but after an hour your quite used and recognise everything without these messages.

Vielen dank,
Sorry, no.

Thanks for the fire update.

Im not sure how pressure applies on notes. I did notice that increasing note length will destroy the pattern if we shorten the length back to normal.

moss wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:15 am I never used Open Stage Control with MIDI, so I cannot comment on that.
In general, my OSC implementation use only OSC and has full feedback for that.
Generic Flexi provides MIDI feedback for CC, see the manual.
I'll continue this conversation here because it seems like Flexi may be a better solution. I've just tested some things and I would like to know if my config is wrong.

I've set up a slider in Open Stage Control to send CC 1 on channel 8.

I used Flexi and filled up a slot to control a volume fader on channel 1. This lets me control the fader with the touch surface. I can also move the fader with my mouse and get the touch surface to respond, but it's very jumpy. When opening the debug console of Open Stage Control I see that every few seconds a CC value is being sent out of Bitwig/control script.

Then I tried removing that slot and manually mapping, using Bitwig's mapping panel, the slider to the volume fader. I still get to control the fader from the slider, but now moving the fader doesn't reflect on the slider at all.

The I used a physical controller, a Novation Nocturn, with Flexi and again used a slot to map it to fader on channel 1. This time control works both ways and feedback is fast, instantly and smoothly updating the LEDs around the knob on the controller.

Then I again tried removing that slot and manually mapping, using Bitwig's mapping panel, the slider to the volume fader. I can control the fader with the knob but moving it with the mouse doesn't update the LEDs anymore.

Finally I made the slider send out user/1/value and used the OSC script. I mapped that using the internal mapping system to the volume fader on channel 1. This time I can control the fader from the slider AND have the fader report mouse/automation movements back to the slider smoothly.

What I gather from this is:
1. Mapping a control doesn't reflect back to the surface unless I'm using the OSC script. No idea why.
2. MIDI feedback to Open Stage Control is capped to 1 MIDI message every few seconds. No idea why.
3. I can't open the scripts up to see why that's happening.

Or it's my config / system that's the problem. Any ideas?

Anyone else having trouble with their Push 2 and the Bitwig 4 beta? Bitwig sees the Push's MIDI ports, but the Power button on the Push panel of Settings/Controllers is greyed out and the Push won't go beyond its Ableton logo screen.

oyrgawd wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:57 pm Anyone else having trouble with their Push 2 and the Bitwig 4 beta? Bitwig sees the Push's MIDI ports, but the Power button on the Push panel of Settings/Controllers is greyed out and the Push won't go beyond its Ableton logo screen.
No issues here. I used my Push 2 for a few hours this morning and mine connected with no issue. I haven't updated in like 6 or so months though, so if there is a more recent update then its possible i'm not having the issue because i'm using a different version of the script. But I can't confirm that a recent version works for me on Bitwig 4.

I am getting some lagginess when changing octaves where there is a 2-3 second delay before the octave changes though. But that's about it.

killmaster wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:48 pm
killmaster wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:21 pm Also, can I assign a CC# to a pad and use aftertouch to modulate the CC value from 0 to 127 through the Launchpad X and/or flexi scripts?
Haven't tested but it should work with Flexi.

I can't get this to work. Seems like it should cause the Poly Aftertouch on the Launchpad defines the device and the note key and the aftertouch value so it's capable of sending continuous controller data on discrete pads, but it just doesn't work. If it did cause you could use each of the 64 pads as a MIDI CC controller! Would there be a way to modify the Launchpad script so that you can tell it to send a CC # value that is driven by that pad's poly aftertouch?

Just an idea, but would be great!

I'm able to assign CC to poly aftertouch on my Keith McMillen QuNexus and Roli Lightpad BLOCK. Not sure it actually assigns it to the aftertouch but it uses the key pressure and you can assign the CC# in the editor polyphonically in the case of the QuNexus.
In case anyone else is interested and has an iPad, these Mozaic scripts can achieve this functionality for the Launchpad X. And also add some MPE functionality as well.
https://patchstorage.com/author/monch1962/

I was able to create a loop to my iPad and back to Bitwig using this script and it worked perfectly...

fwiw!

oyrgawd wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:57 pm Anyone else having trouble with their Push 2 and the Bitwig 4 beta? Bitwig sees the Push's MIDI ports, but the Power button on the Push panel of Settings/Controllers is greyed out and the Push won't go beyond its Ableton logo screen.
Yep same thing is happening to me.

(I also have an APC40 mk2 and that's actually still working fine with DrivenByMoss)

Hi Jürgen--I've been using your Bitwig script for with my Maschine MK3 for years and love it. Thank you so much! Recently I bought a Komplete Kontrol A49 to use with Bitwig as well. Your script is working great for volume/pan/transport functions. Are device remote controls and the BW browser also supported for the A series? My "Plug-In" and "Browser" buttons on the A49 don't light up when I press them while in BWS, and the 8 knobs continue to control track volume/pan no matter what I try. Do I need to create a separate Flexi script for device control with the A series, or does this sound like a user installation error? Thanks for your help, and for all of your amazing work.

Hey Jürgen, I hope this message finds you in good health and spirits. This may have already been mentioned previously (so apologies if i'm adding on to something that is known already) but the Launchpad Pro Mk3 isn't working properly and has a number of issues on Bitwig 3.3 (I also confirmed the same issues exist on Bitwig 4 Beta 1 as i'm beta testing that as well. The main issue being that some of the midi notes don't trigger, while others do. Also, the settings in the Studio I/O panel don't change/update the controller. The weird thing is that my Launchpad X from Novation works perfectly fine in both versions of Bitwig. Same for my Push 2 as I have no issues with that controller either. I'm using the most recently released controller script you released btw. Let me know if I can help troubleshoot on my end if you don't happen to have the Launchpad Pro Mk3 handy. Thanks as always.

Return to “Controller Scripting”