Presonus Studio One 5.2 vs Cubase 11

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jens wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:29 pm the problem is that if you record (say) ten takes, you have ten individual clips SITTING ON TOP OF EACH OTHER while there should only be ONE and there IS only one in every other DAW that I ever tried.
Just change the record mode to "Replace".

my point about optmizing dpc latency is the that the pc could have then more power for audio.
it's up to everyone to decide if it is useful or not (some don't need power, some don't even need computer, some don't even need instrument, some don't even need music...)
And it's up to everyone to judge if the computer is powerful enough to achieve what's wanted.
If I have the choice i prefer working with the smallest round trip latency, without freezing or bouncing Virtual instrument to audio(unless i want to use audio in a creative way like cut/repeat/reverse etc etc),i prefer working without using off line processing, i sometime like to use oversampling with plugin that adds harmonic and some dynamic plugin..all that use some cpu speed but it makes me quicker and maybe what's the most important don't make me loose the feeling (inspiration/vibe whatever you want to call it) , but if don't have that power i can also adapt myself.
But there also another point when latency is high sometimes i feel in cubase that there's an inconsistency in the way the audio is rendered in export and also sometime there's no match between how automation are drawed and how the automation is executed in audio.

And last point if you use an unoptimized computer (DPC latency) with a lot of round trip latency and you are happy, maybe you could have save same some money with a less powerful but optmized computer or i can say it in anotherway if you want to buy another computer because you're lacking power for audio maybe you should try to optimize your computer first.

I buy computers that do not do Deferred Procedure Call ;)

I half expect someone to chime in saying there's no such thing

If 10ms = 10 ft distance, well, I'm not sure how drumming with the drums ten feet away works
much more than what I have, the 8.5 RT I pretty much leave alone now is not very viable for live input, for me. some things don't have to be as immediate but in general the at-or-under 10ms RT goal makes sense to me.
adding 1ms to that is not nothing
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jancivil wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:18 pm I buy computers that do not do Deferred Procedure Call ;)

I half expect someone to chime in saying there's no such thing
lol of course DPC is a only windows mechanism, i dream about a linux that could run cubase and all my vst natively

FTR I didn't have you particularly in mind with that :)
I'm ignorant, I looked it up finally
kidding aside I do remember IRQ stuff was kind of a big deal back then

c0nan wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:18 pm
jens wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:29 pm the problem is that if you record (say) ten takes, you have ten individual clips SITTING ON TOP OF EACH OTHER while there should only be ONE and there IS only one in every other DAW that I ever tried.
Just change the record mode to "Replace".
What? :lol:

How is that a solution? :shock:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

wuworld wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:41 am
trusampler wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:01 am Presonus Studio One needs a proper browser for tagging instruments and samples, Cubase's mediabay is still King in the browser regard.imo.. Please Presonus fix this..
Cubase is behind Studio One.
In terms of what I mentioned in browser support? How? Can you tag your samples, vst fx,vstis in Studio One, I use both, so if you can explain, I'm all ears.. I said Browser, Studio One in no way as far as Browser support is better then Cubases Mediabay.. Not even close.. Hoping that changes in the next update, or I'll stop buying their upgrades.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

jens wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:03 pmFirst of all it's of course an entirely different thing whether the bass-player him- or herself delayed or whether he/she hears the drummer delayed. Imagine a bass-player standing right in front of his amp twenty meters away from the un-amplified drummer - both would hear each other with the same exact same delay and themselves with no delay, so this delay would automatically be compensated for automatically and hence there'd be no issue at all. But then of course for such adistance you'd have to mike up and amplify the drummer and then the question would be where the PA is. Wold the bass-player go over the same PA and it would be right in the middle between them, it would create the same Haas effect for both instruments and both players, which again would make it pretty much a non-iussue indeed. If the PA however was anywhere else, issues would start to arise, slight ones or more severe ones, depending on the actual circumstances.
But then you'd expect those super-cool dudes who walk all over the big outdoor festival stage would go in and out of time as they move around but you don't hear that at hose events, do you? I certainly don't but, to be fair, I don't go to a concert to listen for all the little technical details, I go to hear music I like played as loud as possible.
That's an awful amount of (false) presumption right there.
Actually Scot Solida, who you may of heard of, ran some tests on his basement full of vintage gear, many years ago, and posted the results here somewhere. From memory, the average latency came out at 9.5ms or so and some instruments were as high as 20ms. So not all presumption, some memory involved, which may or may not be 100% but will be in the ball park.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:03 am...who you may of heard of
Damn.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

jens wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:42 am
BONES wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:19 am
Why is 1ms a problem? My bandmate plays drums through my laptop and the round-trip latency is reported as more than 20ms on my system but everything sounds in time to us. I've never really bothered doing any optimisation on my laptops. We've been using them live for 15 years and they've worked perfectly well.

In regards to audio-latency this totally depends on the kind of music you make and your own skills. Nomally those less skilled in regards to timing have a bigger general tolerance when dealing with smallish latencies (i.e. if you own timing inconsistencies/fluctiations are larger than the latency you deal with you most likely won't noitce it in the first place), while those with greater skills will be able to deal with even larger latencies if need be by anticipating it and compensating for it.

Exactly , it's the same reason why most people never noticed the midi input jitter
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

"Noticed"? I've never so much as heard it mentioned in 40 years. Or is this specifically a Studio One issue?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:24 am "Noticed"? I've never so much as heard it mentioned in 40 years. Or is this specifically a Studio One issue?
There used to be smearing and tightness problems in Studio One with vst instruments.Like notes of a chord randomly sounding a few milliseconds away of each other. I do not know if that is still the case as I moved back to Logic last year.

another aspect of latency in performing parts in, is what is right and feels right musically is probably not some predictable exact point in abstraction on the timeline, and if you're using a flat BPM and expecting to, as a human, conform to that the chances of that agreement are slim-to-none IME.
In Cubase I still have to look at latency compensation in Studio Setup, and situations are not all identical.

too much latency can really fug with MIDI, in every aspect, even how controllers or switches are chased can be thrown

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”