Who loves Subscription Only updates to iZotope products?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Let's talk iZotope ...

iZotope update AI-powered assistants for Nectar Pro and Ozone Pro -> "These upgrades are exclusive to new and existing members of iZotope's Producers Club and Music Production Suite Pro subscribers."

It's sad that iZotope would ignore users who have own your products for years and begin providing upgrades only for subscription users. As a long-time customer, I have to say this leaves me with an incredibly bad view of iZotope.

Thoughts? Does anyone love this approach?
Bitwig Certified Trainer

I haven't had time to look into these new subscription models. I've supported iZotope since their very first plugins. I've spent thousands of dollars on their software through the years because of the sound quality and impressive feature set. So even though I just upgraded one of my bundles, I don't have access to these new updates? These new features are only available to new subscribers? I should find out for myself before I do any complaining, but if this is true, it feels like a smack in the face.

Just my WAG, but my bet is they'll hold the updates for us non-subbers to the next version upgrade.
I'm definitely not a fan of the subscription model - I suspect it's all about reliable recurring revenue* streams, and if nothing else, subscriptions bolster that.

*Sorry for the alliteration. I watch too much CNBC.. :help:
We shall see orchestral machines with a thousand new sounds, with thousands of new euphonies, as opposed to the present day's simple sounds of strings, brass, and woodwinds. -- George Antheil, circa 1925 ---

gnu23 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:54 am Just my WAG, but my bet is they'll hold the updates for us non-subbers to the next version upgrade.
I'm definitely not a fan of the subscription model - I suspect it's all about reliable recurring revenue* streams, and if nothing else, subscriptions bolster that.

*Sorry for the alliteration. I watch too much CNBC.. :help:
+1

For now, I am happy with MPS4 and will ignore the sub. What I have now is stable and does the job in a reliable way. If sub will become mandatory, then goodbye iZotope. There are excellent alternatives elsewhere.

Too early to tell, so I'm withholding any judgement. AFAIK this is their first exclusive for subscribers. They already said this is how it would be when they announced the subscription options. It makes sense to me to offer exclusives to subscribers. Otherwise, you're just renting software licenses.

FWIW, I'm not a subscriber and have no interest.

I see all the subscription things out there, from Spotify to cell phone plans to Izotope, beyond and between, as ways to get people to pay more money than they normally would--or more than they can really afford (like rent-to-own scams). I hate them.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Interesting point about these updates probably being intended for the next major versions of Ozone/Neutron etc - but subscribers get them first. That's probably their model. That kinda makes sense, but it's a pretty sour carrot on the stick for existing owners to wait their turn or subscribe (I'm not going to subscribe).

As someone who has purchased many of their products over the years and thus owns them versus a subscription, for me this approach is a big disappointment. Clearly, I understand the business benefit for iZotope to do this. One can hope that some of the new features make it into the next product release -- but who knows? Being a new subscription customer paying $20 or $25 per month makes you more valuable to iZotope, versus customers who have been long-term supporters of the business by purchasing and upgrading over time. Hmm..... good thing there are many different plugin developers to choose from now.

Yeah I didn't read the 'Pro' bit on my email and excitedly thought there were some updates and ran the iZotope manager to see... nothing. Oh, Vinyl had an update for some reason! No, I won't be subscribing.

Imagine you have to subcribe to have your own physical gear you have in your studio :o
iZotope won't see a single penny from me from now on - vote with your wallet

billcarroll wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:22 am Does anyone love this approach?
Yeah, Izotope does.

Such a shame that Native Instruments and Izotope have let themselves get devoured by Fransisco Partners. They are now, or at least becoming, the EA games of music software.

Subscription-based software of any kind is an immediate nope for me. I don’t care what kind of software it is, this will always apply.

loungepanda wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:55 am the EA games of music software
My thoughts exactly, I think I used the exact same words some time ago to describe the situation.

A subscription model is just a band-aid to stop the bleeding. It does not change a thing in the long run, I'm afraid.

Return to “Effects”