Hardware effects anyone?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

justin3am wrote:Yes, lots. Stomp boxes, rack effects and modular. All of the above. :hihi:
I love cheap stomp boxes...
Here is one pile:
I think I have 4 of those Realistic reverbs in total. Also Boss RPS-10, RSD-10 and SE-50.

I got these from a friend who had worked at Line6:
All of the docks have stereo I/O and they handle line level signals, so they are great for synths.

In the rack have an API 2500, UBK Fatso, TC Fireworx and M-One XL, modded Alesis 3630, modded DBX 166XL, Roland SDE-2500 and Fostex 3180 spring reverb. I love the Fireworx and the API the most. The Fostex reverb is almost always hooked up to my modular.

In the modular, I use Make Noise Echophone and Erb-Verb, Mutable Instruments Clouds x2, Harvestman Tyme Safari... really, most modules can be used as effects.

I frequently use my Elektron boxes as multi-effects, particularly the Octatrack.
Very cool Justin.. but how do you deal with that tangle of cables?!!

Hidenori wrote:A little noisy(alias noise?) but I like to use Ensoniq dp4+.
Ah yes.. heard good things about that one too. Difficult to find a cheap one though.. seems they're quite sought after for an old rack unit.

sazb30 wrote:Very cool Justin.. but how do you deal with that tangle of cables?!!
How do you deal without a tangle of cables? :lol:
When it comes to pedals and my modular synth, I don't leave anything patched up for long. Since I'm always rerouting things, it's a wasted effort to try to keep the cables neat. I only have to remember the signal flow for as long as a patch is still hooked up.

The rack gear is another matter, that's all connected through patchbays, so the cables are hidden from sight and normalled connections allow me to have default patches (like V-Synth>Fireworx>channels 5+6 on the audio interface), without connecting any patch cables.

So I guess I just balance the order and chaos as much as I can.

do you have any of those Alesis pedals (ModFX?) that came out, years back? one of them was the 'philtre' or somesuch. they seem difficult to find, today.

I had a Bitrman but wasn't really set up to get the most out of it at the time. The only other hardware I had was an MS2000.
It sounded pretty cool from what I remember, I'd like to get one of those again as I really like stereo FX in desktop or stomp box format. Particularly if they have a lot of front panel controls.

I think at least one the people who was responsible for those Alesis ModFX pedals (those were around 2002-2003 right?) is now at Strymon. I could be wrong.

Problem with analog hardware is it makes me never wanna use software again.

Right now the compressor on the analog rytm is rocking my world. I don't even think it's that good for a analog compressor, but it just sounds so much more interesting than software. I feel like the 'the glue' is more precise but doesn't quite have the vibe.

Also I have an Aphex aural exciter. Again, sounds kind of cheap, but it has way more character than any software I've used.

Then there's my analog mixer.. Same goes for the eqs. It's an old soundcraft and I love it.

sazb30 wrote:
Hidenori wrote:A little noisy(alias noise?) but I like to use Ensoniq dp4+.
Ah yes.. heard good things about that one too. Difficult to find a cheap one though.. seems they're quite sought after for an old rack unit.
I'm not sure about the expense; I see them quite often here in the Twin Cities for $300-400. In fact, I just sold mine a couple weeks ago for $350.

As far as what hardware FX I use, they're fairly normal. A TC Electronics G Major 2, a wah (an Ibanez Screaming Demon), a Fulltone Full Drive 2, and the one oddball; an Oberheim Digital Echoplex.

ew
A spectral heretic...

Well there's a character I haven't seen around these parts in a while!

justin3am wrote:Well there's a character I haven't seen around these parts in a while!
Who, me?

*waves*

ew
A spectral heretic...

The Alesis Bitrman is definetively a nice multieffects unit. Being digital at heart, it can possibly be replaced with similar plugins within your DAW, but the immediacy and easy of use make it still desirable if you can find one, imho.

https://youtu.be/OvE9gdj6kgc

I have one ART MPA ii and two TC-Helicon specifically for vocals (for myself and spouse) that I find superior to software. I do sometimes find software in addition to these to be a benefit though. My generalized philosophy towards processing with both is "Subtle in, Subtle out" and summarily acheives the desired effect without sounding like an effect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Here's some of my FX.. Lexicon MX400/MX200 - x2 Digitech Studio Quad V2's - x2 DBX 166XS also not in picture Jomox T-Resonator II

The old stuff sounds amazing on my analogs...

Love those Lexicons!

BBFG# wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:49 pm Love those Lexicons!
I have more lol just need another 8U rack for them, basically a Lexicon or Digitech for every synth. Can't beat the old 90's 2000's FX IMO.

rob_lee wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:53 pm
BBFG# wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:49 pm Love those Lexicons!
I have more lol just need another 8U rack for them, basically a Lexicon or Digitech for every synth. Can't beat the old 90's 2000's FX IMO.
There's something about those earlier Lexicons that always sounds like their reflections are based on stone or tile whereas most digital racks from others sound like metal plates and tanks. Both have their place, but Lexicon really nailed the former IMO.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”