June Contest: Gossip with the result

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It may or may not happen that I get Junesomething done, and it will or won't be a cover, depends what cover means.

I download a klezmer midi, rearrange song structure, recompose melody, keep rhythm of notes, change some instruments, keep accompaniment patterns and chords, I might even yell here and there: But is it a cover ?

harvon wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:08 pm I download a klezmer midi, rearrange song structure, recompose melody, keep rhythm of notes, change some instruments, keep accompaniment patterns and chords, I might even yell here and there: But is it a cover ?
I think so. That being said, the first contest entry seems to deploy a similar concept. :?

I guess it is not fully clear that "original" in the description applies to the contestant and not to an original artist. As I understand it that means no covers.

:phones:
harvon wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:08 pm It may or may not happen that I get Junesomething done, and it will or won't be a cover, depends what cover means.

I download a klezmer midi, rearrange song structure, recompose melody, keep rhythm of notes, change some instruments, keep accompaniment patterns and chords, I might even yell here and there: But is it a cover ?
Not sure, but post your song it's ok.

Hellfog wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:16 pm :phones:
harvon wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:08 pm It may or may not happen that I get Junesomething done, and it will or won't be a cover, depends what cover means.

Not sure, but post your song it's ok.

I think it's up to the voters to decide what it is on any submission.

trying SO HARD to remember what a "hook" is harmonically . . .
: = )
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Mister Natural wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:38 pm trying SO HARD to remember what a "hook" is harmonically . . .
: = )
A recognisable part that can be hummed and associated with a song.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

The cynical way of songwriting: Learn everything about hooks and whatever makes a hit song and apply it. Collect the hooks of hit songs. Copy succesful ideas, melodies, arrangements. Commercial profit is the measure of how good your songs are.

Well well... That must be too simple viewpoint into the matter.

I think I've got some nice geetar chords, which is a good start. Thing about yer Motown is that (for a much of the time) you need a snappy title (usually a common saying or phrase) which you use a lot in the lyrics to reinforce the hook. Somehow I don't think something like, 'Dialectical Materialism' will cut it here (although it is a good title which I shall be using in the future... :hihi: ).

I came up with a 80's electro funk hybrid and Cream inspired song. Yesterday, I came up with a 60's inspired tune within a few minutes. As usual, it's not the creation, it's the mixing that's my Achilles' heel. I just need a Tom Jones to add vocals.

Anyway, It's 29 seconds too long, (the organ is too loud).

Can I still submit?

June idea
Edit, I've chopped it. It was easy editing when recording to a grid, cut, paste and cross fade.

donkey tugger wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:03 pm Think I can still pull it out of the bag mind - now would be a good time to have a proper go at doing a Motown stylee thing I've been meaning to do for ages. :love:
I recall you mentioning Past to Future Motown drums.
Do you use Kontakt or DirectWave?
I also wandered how popular Kontakt is amongst the contest participants. Is Kontakt recommended, especially for 3rd party sounds?

The Noodlist wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:20 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:03 pm Think I can still pull it out of the bag mind - now would be a good time to have a proper go at doing a Motown stylee thing I've been meaning to do for ages. :love:
I recall you mentioning Past to Future Motown drums.
Do you use Kontakt or DirectWave?
I also wandered how popular Kontakt is amongst the contest participants. Is Kontakt recommended, especially for 3rd party sounds?
For drums I use Addictive Drums, Kontakt, FPC (FL's drum thingy), Slate drums 5 mostly.

It does seem a bit fashionable to bash NI these days but I do like Kontakt, and there's so much good stuff (free and otherwise) out there that it's a bit of a no-brainer if you're into 'real' instruments.

The Past to Future stuff is great for anything lofi/retro, but you do probably need to do some effects/mixing etc yourself (and get your hands dirty with the sample mapping - some of the stuff is sometimes a bit off kilter with the free stuff, not with the paid instruments) to get them to sit in a mix - they're very raw, and 'as is'.

Shangsean back in the house... :clap:

A little warning about using future years: We won't be able to judge your entry until the specified year, which will be too late for this contest. :hihi:

mountainmaster wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:53 am A little warning about using future years: We won't be able to judge your entry until the specified year, which will be too late for this contest. :hihi:
LOL
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

rp314 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:26 pm Shangsean back in the house... :clap:
Hi SEAN ! Nice to hear you again
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Return to “Music Cafe”