Favorite granular effect?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chrisstiles wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:30 am As an aside, has anyone here looked at Ralf Kasten's book? Is it worth getting?
really worth getting it. it learned me a lot. was my introduction to the granular world, beyond pads..
excellent book to learn granular, with video's.

http://dev.rofilm-media.net/node/138

EDIT: an example what Granular effects can achieve; 2 X Silo; 1 X Crusher-X;

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada/ey ... -and-water

this is the base recording;

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada/th ... Atcmy7yJnK

(with a terrible (...) DC offset..)

I picked up Silo as I was able to stack the $20 coupon on top the upgrade offer and caved for $59.

I've been looking into these guys' work in granular: https://puremagnetik.com/. Neat little plugins, still learning my way around them, and absurdly budget friendly. I'm really interested in getting Portal and Granulizer 2 at some point; I have Ribs, but never took the time to really learn it well. It's been a miss so far. But never say never!

has anyone said "as many of them as possible in series"?

dmonbeats wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:42 pm I have Ribs, but never took the time to really learn it well. It's been a miss so far. But never say never!
ribs is great once you get to grips with it.
very different from a lot of others so definitely worth the effort :tu:

vurt wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:07 pm has anyone said "as many of them as possible in series"?
i do! i do! and parallel... whatever gets me going...
vurt wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:08 pm
dmonbeats wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:42 pm I have Ribs, but never took the time to really learn it well. It's been a miss so far. But never say never!
ribs is great once you get to grips with it.
very different from a lot of others so definitely worth the effort :tu:
indeed quite different, worth to check out, at some point, plugin overload now :help:

Still playing with the Zoia, such a cool and interesting little synth. So much that I tend to forget it's an effect pedal. Using the granular module as an FM source to another VCO or a straight up modulator is pretty cool.

pekbro wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:06 pm Still playing with the Zoia, such a cool and interesting little synth. So much that I tend to forget it's an effect pedal. Using the granular module as an FM source to another VCO or a straight up modulator is pretty cool.
id love one of those!
wish i had money :lol:

vurt wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:21 pm
pekbro wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:06 pm Still playing with the Zoia, such a cool and interesting little synth. So much that I tend to forget it's an effect pedal. Using the granular module as an FM source to another VCO or a straight up modulator is pretty cool.
id love one of those!
It's super cool, there's really nothing else quite like it. The eurorack version will be something to
look out for definitely.

pekbro wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:07 pm
id love one of those!
It's super cool, there's really nothing else quite like it. The eurorack version will be something to
look out for definitely.
ooh they doing that?
thats a different kettle of fish, i have some modular budget :lol:

vurt wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:10 pm
pekbro wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:07 pm
id love one of those!
look out for definitely.
ooh they doing that?
thats a different kettle of fish, i have some modular budget :lol:
Yeah, it's been in the works a while but still incoming. They call it the euroburo...

https://youtu.be/X3eHgjqF8bU

cheers :tu:

grains offer.jpg

http://dev.rofilm-media.net/node/138

really recommended! now i am surrounded with granulars, and work with it, in detail, all the possibilities.

or use an audio editor; simple example, nothing special;

https://youtu.be/jw8_eO-XL8c
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:11 pm
simon.a.billington wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:47 pm I got to say I'm really digging Unfiltered Audio's new Silo in this regard
I tried it and I wasn’t that impressed. I think if they included scale quantization abilities, I would have purchased it, but without that, I found it not that interesting. I’ll probably grab it when it’s super cheep.
I guess it comes down to how we use it. I don't often tune effects myself as they are always receiving something that is "tuned". I could always put the mix up to 100% if I wanted just the effect portion.

I'm not too much of a fan of generative approach to music as I feel it very important to be able to reproduce it.

For example, what if the film director gets back to you and says "overall I like the effect you're going for here, but I need it to be more melancholy", effectively insinuating that you should consider using a minor key instead of a major one in this example. The trouble is, what you did was generative, it was a small audio sample taken from a huge "improv session" you have almost no way or reproducing it, or at least out would take quite some time.

This won't always be the case, but being mindful and deliberate of the notes you use from start to finish can help prevent you from falling into holes that may be hard to dig yourself out of. So, as result, every note I feed an effect is also an intentional choice. Those who have the luxury of doing whatever they want because they answer to no-one won't probably come across this issue

Which is why anything I punch into Silo would also be a deliberate choice. Hence no need for scale quantisations. Which could also prove problematic to me sometimes as I don't always stick exclusively to one scale. I'll often alter scales too, adding an extra note in or two.

In saying all that I do understand how it could be useful to others, I'm just really qualifying why Ive never found it an issue.

I'm all for people getting the features they need for their workflows, so hopefully UA will add some scale quantisation features to Silo, but I've always treated granular processing as a little like using a tape delay or a pre-digital outboard effect: somewhere to inject a little unpredictability and to make some happy mistakes.

Though, saying that, there is a ton of music that I like that uses more precise and quantised granular processing, but I always - and maybe wrongly - thought that those parts were edited down from longer sessions as audio. Maybe it's just the devices I use, but I kind of assume that no two passes through with the same MIDI will have the same outcome, so rendering directly to audio is the best solution .

Return to “Effects”