Is Omnisphere 2 still worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dark and Light Omnisphere Explorer - Omnisphere 2 Presets

2.7 is available so login, not with auto update. VST3 now too!

A surface solution is USB device with USB2 & 3 and card slots, the library fits on 64GB no problem.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:45 pm
BoogerSnotOrchestra wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:16 pm With Omnisphere can you specifically customize and manage the massive library?

I realize the massive library is one of its strengths, but I'm also quite sure I won't be interested in all the presets....

So is there a way to select which ones to download? Or at least a way to delete some after downloading?
Unfortunately no, and it's my biggest gripe with Omnisphere. I have a Surface Pro that I would like to have Omnisphere on with only a few libraries because I don't have the space for everything. If it doesn't have the full library installed, you can use anything. One of the many stupid decisions they've made.
Thanks for the reply. I was looking around on their site for the answer, and saw that not only does the library have 64gb, it also needs double that to install it in the first place. :o

Though it looks like maybe you can install with an external drive too?

*goes back to digging*
Yo Leroy!

BoogerSnotOrchestra wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:44 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:45 pm
BoogerSnotOrchestra wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:16 pm With Omnisphere can you specifically customize and manage the massive library?

I realize the massive library is one of its strengths, but I'm also quite sure I won't be interested in all the presets....

So is there a way to select which ones to download? Or at least a way to delete some after downloading?
Unfortunately no, and it's my biggest gripe with Omnisphere. I have a Surface Pro that I would like to have Omnisphere on with only a few libraries because I don't have the space for everything. If it doesn't have the full library installed, you can use anything. One of the many stupid decisions they've made.
Thanks for the reply. I was looking around on their site for the answer, and saw that not only does the library have 64gb, it also needs double that to install it in the first place. :o

Though it looks like maybe you can install with an external drive too?

*goes back to digging*
Yeah you can use an external drive.

Dirk Diggler wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:54 pm 2.7 is available so login, not with auto update. VST3 now too!
That's great. Could you please share the change log if you know? I am not seeing it on the website or anywhere else.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:23 am
Dirk Diggler wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:54 pm 2.7 is available so login, not with auto update. VST3 now too!
That's great. Could you please share the change log if you know? I am not seeing it on the website or anywhere else.
I posted this on the other thread:
Omnisphere Software 2.7.0f
Includes the following:
• Adds VST3 plugin version
• Adds native support for Apple Silicon M1 Macs
• Adds a ninth audio output bus, labeled "OUT I" in the Output Assignment
menu for each Part on the Mixer page
• Fixes issue where Browser-learns restored from a saved DAW project did
not ignore the "Load Current MIDI Assignments With Multi" user preference
• Fixes crash when non-Omnisphere files were dropped in the Layer pane
• Fixes crash when files were dropped onto the Splash pane
• Fixes crash related to clicking on patch in browser while MIDI-CC learning
is in progress
• Fixes bug where Arpeggiator sequences failed to playback correctly after
loading a saved DAW project
• Fixes bug where assigning Ratings for Multis in Trilian & Trilogy libraries
did not save properly
* Fixes issue where the Orb Recording feature did not function properly.
* Fixes parameter synchronization issues with the OmniTR app.
• Fixes sustain pedal noise issue: If key tracking is used as a mod source,
sustain pedal actions could interfere with the filter envelope
• Fixes issue where the first note played after loading a DAW project
sometimes produced silent or corrupted audio
• Fixes issue where sustain pedal could kill active notes when polyphony
("Voices") limit set to 1
• Improves parameter names for host automation. Adds space between part
number and param name e.g. "8Pan" -> "8 Pan"
• Improves alert message wording when user drops a non-share-archive file
into plugin GUI
• Fix issues with the Sound Lock feature's "Lock All" and "Clear All" options
• Fixes bug where using host automation with the Arpeggiator On/Off
parameter could mute the audio output of the plugin.
• Fixes issue where typing into the Tag Editor did not work in some Windows
DAWs.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

This is one of the reasons why you can buy Omnisphere (anything Spectrosonics) with confidences, they only have 4 products to focus on and they are constantly developing and improving them...at least as much efforts is spent supporting customers who have already paid as trying to find new customers with ridiculous marketing tactic's and spin off products. Just high quality well supported products, no bull.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

noiseboyuk: Thank you, that's a nice update. Looking forward to updating it today. Luckily I haven't started using it, but will do so now after installing the update.

SLiC: Yeah, I am glad I finally bought Omnisphere 2 and joined the Spectrasonics family. It looks expensive upfront, but it's all worth it, especially if you like using it.

I think it's worth it, especially as there aren't that many synths that can layer sounds.

You can do the layering in a DAW, but it's about the worflow.

I would definitely buy it - but at another price point. no sales, no buy.

TrekStar wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:52 am I would definitely buy it - but at another price point. no sales, no buy.
I don't think they have any sales, that's why the second hand licences keep their value (unlike a lot of the music software) so its swings and roundabouts!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

@ BOOGERSNOTORCHESTRA
Yes external drive was what I was referring to.
I use a similar device to this, I may have to pick one of these up as it now includes wired ethernet.
https://www.amazon.com/KETAKY-Microsoft ... ref=sr_1_9

And thanks noiseboyuk for posting the release notes.

Spectrasonics just don't go on sale, even their older stuff holds value well as they are not a discount based organization. And to me still worth every penny I paid for it.

SLiC wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:18 pm
TrekStar wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:52 am I would definitely buy it - but at another price point. no sales, no buy.
I don't think they have any sales, that's why the second hand licences keep their value (unlike a lot of the music software) so its swings and roundabouts!
I got second Omnisphere 2 here at KVR for $350. I got Keyscape from Musicians Friend for 15% off. :)

Yes, exactly. 2nd hand licenses also aren't eligible for upgrade discounts IIRC, so really the best you can get is when a particular retailer has a store-wide discount or something.

Anecdotally, I find that people who watch for long enough often cave in and buy in the end :)
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:20 am
Yes, exactly. 2nd hand licenses also aren't eligible for upgrade discounts IIRC, so really the best you can get is when a particular retailer has a store-wide discount or something.

Anecdotally, I find that people who watch for long enough often cave in and buy in the end :)
It is a bit unclear with their policy of upgrade prices for new and transferred licenses. Their FAQs mean to say that new licenses are eligible for special upgrade pricing which transferred licenses might not, but for Omnisphere 2 Upgrade both type of customers are eligible for the same pricing, as mentioned here: https://www.spectrasonics.net/sales/tec ... ucts_id=28
Omnisphere 2 Upgrade
Standard Upgrade: $249
For all Omnisphere 1 customers
(Standard and Transfer Licenses)

dfraze wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:46 am I think it's worth it, especially as there aren't that many synths that can layer sounds.

You can do the layering in a DAW, but it's about the worflow.
yeah - in DAW you can layer -many- synths in something as simple as "track stack" in logic.
Or you can get Unify by Plugin Guru and get the same functionality but with a similar workflow as working in Omnisphere, for 80$ or so.

I don't think that's worth 500$

omnisphere's strength is most likely in presets

Return to “Instruments”