DAW popularity stats FB

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Social Media is too political. I can't deal with it. I'm on Insta just for a few close IRL friends. I hardly ever post anything (except things like "just out of the hospital after surgery, everything went well" to basically broadcast a status so I don't have to send out 8 text messages).
kritikon wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:03 am Can't imagine FB as being representative of anything musically, and if it is I'm way out of whack.

Never had an FB account, and only ever used one DAW at a time. It takes me all my time getting to know 1 DAW - why on earth would I want to vastly increase/waste my time by learning several DAWs? And, popularity of DAWs on internet surely tracks with which are the most cracked ones? "I have all the major DAWs, use this one for A, that one for B"...
...Right, so you spent $1000's before you even started? Mmmmhmmmm
I think Facebook is more representative than people think. Maybe not of the industry as a whole, but it can clue us into trends - like what DAW are the people entering the industry choosing... Keep in mind, the generations growing up today are a lot more into Social Media than Very Early Millenials (like me) or boomers. These kids are growing up with Social Media being the primary way of keeping in touch... from the beginning. We actually know what a pager is, Lol.

So, social media is useful for trends, especially regarding how markets are developing. It's possible FL Studio rates very highly because it's highly pirated by people who are just starting out making music, and those people go to social media and similar places for support.

Beyond that:

Use a Tartarus and Naga and map equivalent DAW functions to the same key. No need to change key map in the application. I am equally proficient using Pro Tools as I am Cubase and Studio One, because the muscle memory applies to all of them for every common DAW function that I can map.

When every piece of software uses the same keys for the same functions, getting this down is really easy ;-)

Hell, even NLEs have many of the same functions, so it helps for that as well (DAWs, NLEs, Audio Editors, etc.). I do this for all of my creative software, and the profiles on the devices automatically switch based on what application is active - confirmed by the specific color I've assigned to each application).

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

machinesworking wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:46 am This is mostly for fun, people shouldn't read too much into it, but I do think it's more accurate than it's not. The largest Facebook groups for all the DAWs ....

Pro Tools - 143k members.
FL Studio - 132k
Ableton Live - 101k
Logic Pro - 85k
Cubase - 51k
Studio One 39k
Reason 25k
Reaper 18k
Sonar 7.2k
Bitwig - 5.4k
Digital Performer 3.7k
Traction Waveform 1.1k
FL Studio itself on FB has 860 k followers.

https://www.facebook.com/FLStudio/

Maybe but there is probably only one person there with even a shred of credibility in my eyes, so who actually cares?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:09 am Maybe but there is probably only one person there with even a shred of credibility in my eyes, so who actually cares?
Everyone with a different opinion to you perhaps? :)

When these things come up, it seems when people don't like the data they dismiss it. If they do they gulp it down.

Since companies spend a lot of time and effort trying to get noticed on social media, it can be no bad thing to be at the top of these social media popularity contests.

FL Studio 860 K
Live 688 K
Presonus 262K (no Studio One, so electronics too)
Steinberg 249 K
Pro tools 173 K
Reason 122 K
Bitwig 46 K
Reaper 16 K

Carbonboy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:16 amEveryone with a different opinion to you perhaps? :)
Everyone who was unable to explain the reasoning behind having a different opinion to me. I'm not sure if you 've noticed or not but most people are complete idiots, to the point that if something is popular, I am immediately suspicious. e.g. Big Mac is the most popular hamburger in the world but is it the best? Toyota's Corolla is the most popular car in the world but is it the best?
When these things come up, it seems when people don't like the data they dismiss it. If they do they gulp it down.
Maybe people who care about popularity but to me that is no more relevant than the colour of the box it comes in.
Since companies spend a lot of time and effort trying to get noticed on social media, it can be no bad thing to be at the top of these social media popularity contests.
Why, when clearly even you understand that it's a marketing effort and has nothing whatsoever to do with the worth of the product or its suitability to you, as an individual user? Bitwig is a good example for me (lovely yellow colour on the box) - it's a popular enough product but it always felt like it was made for someone else and, even though I could use it well enough, it was never going to be a comfortable fit for the way I like to work. So it's popularity was irrelevant. I think it's the same with a lot of DAWs - they all try to appeal to the broadest range of users possible, bits of which will get in the way of any given individual's workflow. So again, if it's popular, I'd worry that it would be too bloated to give me the straightforward workflow I like.

Of course, sometimes something can be popular for all the right reasons but I'd be just as happy if I was the only Studio One user o the entire planet.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

KVR, where people argue the validity of an argument to popularity til they die

Almost as good as the 'you do things I don't do, have the least interest in or even vaguely grasp, so you're obviously an idiot' one of us is incessantly engaged in here.

BONES wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:13 pm Big Mac is the most popular hamburger in the world but is it the best?
And yet at 11 pm when you just stepped off a plane in a foreign country and you can't speak the local language. There the golden arches glowing in the darkness and confusion, like a beacon of salvation, to feed you. In you go and point at the Big Mac.
BONES wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:13 pm Toyota's Corolla is the most popular car in the world but is it the best?
15 years later its still running, cheap to maintain, never breaks down, parts are easy to find, every mechanic knows how to fix it when it does break AND it gets your wife to the hospital before she gives birth.

I realize there self validation in being the "thinking man" but it does not negate the advantages and benefits of the popular. Particularly when you can point to any DAW on that list and it is loved by 10,000's or millions.

Can't we all just get along? :)

FL Studio is at the top of that list along with Live.

They are both valid choices (as are the rest). Things don't get popular for no reason. And popular things don't stay popular if the great unwashed aren't enjoying them. You can't fool that many people for that long.

Who are we to judge?

heh
some things seem to get popular for no *good* reason

Trensharo wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:30 am It's possible FL Studio rates very highly because it's highly pirated by people who are just starting out making music, and those people go to social media and similar places for support.
You can't post on the FL Studio forums without owning it. The forum membership is on the front page of the website.

+730 members since yesterday.

1.4 Million members. 56 topics created today. Think about the level of activity there.

Not all people who buy it register for the forums. FL Studio is not only popular, it is selling like hotcakes. I know that disturbs many people here, but I would guess it is in the top 3 selling DAWs, probably at 1 or 2.

It's like watching people complaining about the iPhone and how popular it is and how Android is better. Nothing you say changes the fact Apple is a force in the industry and makes products people love to use.

jancivil wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:34 am heh
some things seem to get popular for no *good* reason
Some people like cupcakes better,I, for one care less for them
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Carbonboy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:24 amAnd yet at 11 pm when you just stepped off a plane in a foreign country and you can't speak the local language. There the golden arches glowing in the darkness and confusion, like a beacon of salvation, to feed you. In you go and point at the Big Mac.
Having traveled extensively for 6 years in a job, I can't say that every happened. Burger King seem to have a lot more stores in airports than Maccas. and if it's anywhere in India, forget it - you're having curry or you're going hungry. Even Maccas serve curry.
BONES wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:13 pmToyota's Corolla is the most popular car in the world but is it the best?
15 years later its still running, cheap to maintain, never breaks down, parts are easy to find, every mechanic knows how to fix it when it does break AND it gets your wife to the hospital before she gives birth.
Same as every other car these days. It's been pretty much impossible to buy a bad car for the last 20 years or so. The myth of Toyota reliability is from a bygone era.
I realize there self validation in being the "thinking man" but it does not negate the advantages and benefits of the popular. Particularly when you can point to any DAW on that list and it is loved by 10,000's or millions.
Equally, you could poll all those same people and ask them if they've even heard of Orion and I'll guarantee you'd get less than 1% who had. All that means is that Synapse Audio never had the marketing resources of ImageLine or Steinberg. Orion remains the best host I have ever used, despite its lack of popularity.
FL Studio is at the top of that list along with Live.
Again, so what? It's an utterly meaningless and irrelevant fact. I tried both and I'd go back to using a hardware sequencer before I'd use either as my main host application. For the way I like to work, they are absolute rubbish.
They are both valid choices (as are the rest). Things don't get popular for no reason. And popular things don't stay popular if the great unwashed aren't enjoying them.
So you just want to be like the great unwashed? Not much of an ambition.
You can't fool that many people for that long.
Three words - Justin f**king Bieber. A talentless nobody with a pushy mother who happened to hit YouTube at just the right moment in history. If he was starting out today he'd sink like a stone because he has nothing that a million other wannabe losers don't also have.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”