E-Phonic Invader 2 v1.0.11 (WIN / OSX)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Invader 2

BONES wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:47 am
Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:58 pmBackwards-compatibility is the other way round.
No, it's not. When they make a new version, they ensure that things that were made to work in the old version still work in the new one. That's what backwards-compatibility is.
An upgraded OS has new features. If a software relies on that, it would not work on an older system.
Which is why I didn't say "will definitely work in every single case".
But you claimed this, which is the other way round:
BONES wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:43 am To be fair, I can't see why anything that runs in Win10 shouldn't run OK in Win7, Microsoft put a lot of effort into backwards-compatibility.
Maybe it was a typo on your side - that can happen…

I'm back here after two days and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed by this forum. My simple statement that Invader 2 works under Win 7 made one user start a shitstorm and calling me names. Such lack of basic manners is not tolerated on other forums, where I have been active so far.

I don't want to be dragged down to his level. I will only say: I use different machines with different OS versions. One of them is a PERFECTLY STABLE Win 7 system, on which Invader 2 runs smoothly inside Reaper v6 x64. (I don't know if this matters, but that system has been in the meantime updated with some critical patches, as e.g. Visual C++ Runtime 2019 etc.)

I also want to be clear: I never asked any developer to support Win 7. Programs and plugins I use, just work under Win 7, so far - there was/is no need to ask for it. Reaper, Diva, Re-Pro, Legend and many other softsynths and FX I use, work fine. As of Invader 2, I simply tried the demo (also on Win 7) and seeing that it also runs smoothly, I bought the plugin. I'm aware that the dev doesn't warrant this, but I'm OK with that.

Now back to the main topic:

Are the filters in Invader 2 modeled after any particular manufacturer/design? They seem to sound *a bit* weird to me when the resonance is above 50%.

They did say that it would be the last ever version of Windows, they didn't say there wouldn't be any more big changes.
LeVzi wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:24 amLike Win7 was the unbloated faster version of Vista
Except it wasn't. Win7 was nothing but a marketing exercise - change the look (Aero) and tell everyone it's a whole new version, when it's really no more than a Service Pack update. Seriously, Vista SP1 performed pretty much identically to W7, except that somehow they managed to break Windows Media Player. By the time W7 came out, all the problems people had been experiencing in Vista were fixed, except for the dumb-ass decisions they'd made around the Start Menu and Control Panel. I hated both and couldn't wait to get onto the Win8 beta.

From what I've seen so far of Windows 11, I think I'll be sticking with Windows 10 for a while. The new Start is awful and will take up far too much space. I have almost 80 tiles on my current Start, imagine how big that would get using the new Start? There is also the visual cues of larger and smaller tiles that makes dealing with 80 app icons easy. This undifferentiated mess is more like a f**king phone launcher, surely nobody wants that? The very first app I installed on the Android phone I bought a few weeks ago was Launcher 10 so I could find things.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

@e-phonic:
The DIFF DELAY module in Invader 2 is SO FANTASTIC :tu: :love: that I would love if you released it as a separate plugin one day... :)

About Windows 7: You are right, Invader 2 works correctly with Windows 7 too. I will change the compatibility info on the site.

I'm currently reworking the key handling. I'm doing this to be able to update the ARP so it works correctly in poly mode. Also, it will make adding different polyphony modes and sustain pedal support easier. It will take some time to do this but I think it's worth it.

@Piszpan: Thanks, maybe I will!

i used your delay on every track, back in the naughties ;)

Piszpan wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:03 am @e-phonic:
The DIFF DELAY module in Invader 2 is SO FANTASTIC :tu: :love: that I would love if you released it as a separate plugin one day... :)
I’ll second request, a second time 😜

Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

Three suggestions for the arp, see MS Paint image below :D

When entering a new sequence:
- it might be useful to have a little step indicator for the 16 step led's
- it might be useful to have a button which inserts an empty step

If there were more space, you might even include a shuffle or swing knob or whatever it is called.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

On the subject of the Arp/Seq, in Record Mode when you hit a key on your controller or a key on Invader 2's Gui the light jumps from the first block to the second block meaning that the sixteenth note you press will cycle around and light up the first block not the sixteenth block.

Not a big deal but it did throw me off at first as I was watching the light move rather than counting the number of notes hit. That left me with a sequence of 15 notes instead of 16.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:19 pm On the subject of the Arp/Seq, in Record Mode when you hit a key on your controller or a key on Invader 2's Gui the light jumps from the first block to the second block meaning that the sixteenth note you press will cycle around and light up the first block not the sixteenth block.

Not a big deal but it did throw me off at first as I was watching the light move rather than counting the number of notes hit. That left me with a sequence of 15 notes instead of 16.
I had exactly the same experience at first :)
That said, basically the underscore works like the input prompt on certain computer terminals.

The lit block should not move after the first note is input, only after the second note is entered otherwise it's off a note. The first note you input is the first note that plays in the sequence not the second. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I disagree. If entering a note left an x (meaning filled) in the respective slot (i. e. the one before the underscore), you would realize more easily that it makes sense the way it is.
When you turn on the record mode, the underscore is in the first slot, prompting you to enter a note for that first slot. So you press a note and it jumps to the second slot, prompting you to enter the second note. Etc. Etc.

That's one of the reasons why I suggested the step indicator line below the led's, so that you see when the prompt has reached the 16th slot.

e-crooner wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:01 pmWhen you turn on the record mode, the underscore is in the first slot, prompting you to enter a note for that first slot. So you press a note and it jumps to the second slot, prompting you to enter the second note. Etc. Etc.
I disagree. I'd rather the lit block reflect the actual sequence length not one more. If I want to record an eight note sequence I don't want the ninth block lit. I want the eighth block lit showing the sequence is eight notes long. Then your scale mock up would make sense.

I'd rather see the first block light up when you've entered the first note then the second block light up when you've entered the second note and so on. Or in record mode each block stays lit until you go to playback mode then it can cycle through. Then you could easily see how many of the 16 notes are filled.

Of course all we have to do is count the notes as we enter them so either way not a big deal.

Well, that's the point, there is no lit block, it is a blinking underscore prompt. Lit implies permanently.
Don't get me wrong, as I said, I was also confused initially. Until I thought about it :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”