NI go VST 3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:01 am Also note that it is optional, so, you can turn it off, if you feel like they shouldn't listen to your wishes. ;)
I turn it off because I don't want them listening to anything. Plus I don't want plugins connecting to the internet willy nilly data mining telemetry. :wink:

Anyway I assume these updates don't uninstall the VST 2 versions only add VST 3 versions? I don't really care 2 or 3 but just need to know if I have to change any scan options.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

SLiC wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:53 am I noticed in the release notes they have added 'User Tracking' to all the VST3 updates...I wonder what that is?
have you seen "person of interest"? :hihi:

I care if they install VST2 and VST3. That will take up quite a bit of extra space. Might have to look at the Settings to see what's possible.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Teksonik wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:44 pm Anyway I assume these updates don't uninstall the VST 2 versions only add VST 3 versions? I don't really care 2 or 3 but just need to know if I have to change any scan options.
They update the VST2 versions, and add the VST3 versions.

Note that your DAW might only see the VST3 versions after that though. At least Studio One does. I think it happens when both the VST2 and VST3 have the same plugin ID?
Last edited by chk071 on Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aloysius wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:51 pm I care if they install VST2 and VST3. That will take up quite a bit of extra space.
Very little. Just checked, and, the Driver, RC 24, RC 28, Solid Bus Comp, Solid Dynamics and Supercharger VST3's are 169 MB in total.

Of course, if you have like 50 or 60 of their plugins installed, and they're all VST3's, then it adds up. It doesn't bother me though, on a 256 GB SSD and a 1 TB HDD.

OK. I've had other other products take up twice as much space because of VST2 and VST3 being installed. These plugins are small anyway. But if / when they start updating instruments that could become problematic.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:51 pm I care if they install VST2 and VST3. That will take up quite a bit of extra space. Might have to look at the Settings to see what's possible.
Yes, it will install both VST2 and VST3, you can't really choose. If you delete the VST2 versions, Native Access will complain and ask you to relocate the files. You can, however, edit the corresponding entries on the Windows registry to make Native Access not looking for the VST2 location anymore. I guess this is kind of a hack, but it works.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:53 pm Note that your DAW might only see the VST3 versions after that though. At least Studio One does.
I wonder why? Unless they change the VST ID or the .dll location the DAW should still see the plugin.

The only plugins I still own from N.I. and use frequently are Kontakt and Replika so switching over to the VST 3 version should be easy unless it has to be done for every old project but I doubt that will be the case.

I typically use the VST 2 version of plugins more out of habit than any practical reason or loyalty.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Not sure if this was mentioned before, but something is weird with Native Access. I installed all the 15 available updates and NA still shows 13 of them under updates tab.

I uninstalled the plugins from Control Panel and even used the registry hack Sahul has mentioned above, but after installing/updating them 13 plugins still show up under updates tab.

That said, the plugins did get updated and I can load all 15 of them (VST3) in FL Studio fine.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:40 pm I uninstalled the plugins from Control Panel and even used the registry hack Sahul has mentioned above, but after installing/updating them 13 plugins still show up under updates tab.
That's weird. Did you also try the NI Uninstall RegTool_64bit from https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... s-Windows- ?

Aloysius wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:57 pm OK. I've had other other products take up twice as much space because of VST2 and VST3 being installed. These plugins are small anyway. But if / when they start updating instruments that could become problematic.
Well on a windows machine you can set the vst2 installation folder to where ever you want in the preferences.
If you have another drive/partition to use it saves having to mess around with the registry.
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

Sahul wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:56 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:40 pm I uninstalled the plugins from Control Panel and even used the registry hack Sahul has mentioned above, but after installing/updating them 13 plugins still show up under updates tab.
That's weird. Did you also try the NI Uninstall RegTool_64bit from https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... s-Windows- ?
Yes, I did use this tool. I have used it in the past too. It usually works, but this time after doing this and uninstalling the plugins, I am still facing this issue. Not a big deal, but it is probably an issue with NA I would think.

midi_transmission wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:01 am
EvilDragon wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:30 pm
WasteLand wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:56 pmbut Softube has one framework for all. NI doesn't i believe, or i can be wrong (or some overlap, but also.. o well). perhaps they are consolidating that... one framework means, GUI resizing for one is for all..
Softube only did the DSP, NI's frameworks were used for the UI.
EvilDragon, any idea if NI will ever add oversampling as an option to their analog emulation compressors? It's a bit frustrating that they work better in GR, which at least oversamples 2x, than standalone. :scared:

When I saw the vst3 update I had hoped that they bring the plugins also technically to 2021, not only from the plugin format.
No idea.

Usually when a rather large thing is being done (i.e. another plugin format being supported), it's all about doing just that, rather than adding much else - as that would be also adding risk for more bugs.

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:54 am Usually when a rather large thing is being done (i.e. another plugin format being supported), it's all about doing just that, rather than adding much else - as that would be also adding risk for more bugs.
So, these vst3 versions are simply ported from vst2 and offer no real vst3 advantages ?
More BPM please

It wasn't "simply", but yes, it's a port from VST2 of course. The main goal of any port is preserving the original behavior as much as possible.

That said, I am not sure about implementation details, but it should be easy to test sidechaining and CPU usage when inputs are silent (although if I vaguely remember correctly, VST2 plugins already did shut down processing on silent inputs - this is not really a major benefit of VST3 over VST2, people like to state it as such but it really isn't).

As for sample-accurate automation, I'm also pretty sure this is not in either. It never really gained widespread adoption because most plugins do their processing in blocks, not individual samples.

Return to “Effects”