VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dark and Light Omnisphere Explorer - Omnisphere 2 Presets

Ploki wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:55 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:11 pm
Ploki wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:48 am
dfraze wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:46 am I think it's worth it, especially as there aren't that many synths that can layer sounds.

You can do the layering in a DAW, but it's about the worflow.
yeah - in DAW you can layer -many- synths in something as simple as "track stack" in logic.
Or you can get Unify by Plugin Guru and get the same functionality but with a similar workflow as working in Omnisphere, for 80$ or so.

I don't think that's worth 500$

omnisphere's strength is most likely in presets
Not really. It's more the combination of the dsp synth and the sound source library. The dsp synth along with it's granular functions and huge amount of effects would typically be a synth in the 150-200 dollar range without the library. However if the sample library was a kontakt package, it would easily cost the current price of Omnisphere. So the value is in those two things together. The presets are certainly part of that, but I wouldn't say it's Omni's strength.
Maybe, but i’d argue majority uses it as a rompler/preset surfer. Synth engine doesn’t seem like fast and agile to work with.
Maybe, but i agree its’ strength is its’ ability to warp, layer, create sounds from or combined with it’s large library. And just me personally the synth engine is extrely fast and agile.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Ploki wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:01 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:36 pm
But no Omni definitely isn't a rompler like Nexus and I don't think many people see it that way.
Yes, mb

V1 was tho?
Technically V1 was not either. Omni always had DSP oscillators. They were just basic wavforms in V1, but did have osc waveshaping distortion and fm/rm (although these improved in V2 also). They already had granular too for the sample sources, but much improved in V2, which actually allowed typical granular freezing etc.

So no it was never technically a rompler, which usually means all sound sources are sampled and you basically just get filters and effects, like nexus.

Fair enough

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:26 pm
But no Omni definitely isn't a rompler like Nexus and I don't think many people see it that way.
Yes, mb

V1 was tho?
So no it was never technically a rompler, which usually means all sound sources are sampled and you basically just get filters and effects, like nexus.
You say rompler like it's a bad thing.
V1 was technically a rompler since the only samples you could use were from read only memory within the system.
V2 allows for importing samples, which makes it more than "just a rompler." Now whether that makes it a rampler or sampler may still be up for discussion, but that is debate that goes nowhere. (Everytime.)

BBFG# wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:17 am
Yes, mb

V1 was tho?
V1 was technically a rompler since the only samples you could use were from read only memory within the system.
V2 allows for importing samples, which makes it more than "just a rompler." Now whether that makes it a rampler or sampler may still be up for discussion, but that is debate that goes nowhere. (Everytime.)
I think most would call 1 and 2 a synth rather than rompler or sampler.

I think a lot of users treat Omnisphere like Nexus--just as a preset player--and never touch any of the parameters, thereby giving the impression that it's a ROMpler.

Omni can ROMple, but it can also do much, much more!
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

dstep404 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:20 am
Yes, mb

V1 was tho?
I think most would call 1 and 2 a synth rather than rompler or sampler.
I agree. But this still continues to come up time and again. Version 2 is definitely a synth with sample import.
And the granular definitely improved with the new version as well.

syntonica wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:21 am I think a lot of users treat Omnisphere like Nexus--just as a preset player--and never touch any of the parameters, thereby giving the impression that it's a ROMpler.

Omni can ROMple, but it can also do much, much more!
I treat Zebra like that too, it can do much more, but I can't do it, just need amazing sounds to make music.

I bought Atmosphere when it first came out and then upgraded to Omnisphere several years later. I see the value in it when I look back at all of the years I spent learning it inside out. It's one of the most capable and best sounding instruments that I have used in virtually every session. Then Spectrasonics cranked it up a notch with version 2.

Now with the ability to import my own audio, it sees regular duties for sample manipulation, complex Multis, and realistic instruments with a hybrid slant. Programming original patches is a breeze since it includes fantastic effects with the Orb interface for automating them (spent countless hours with this), high-quality DSP, and a wide selection of patches that span several genres.

It can function with the essence of a rompler and the deep programmability of a synth. I always used to think it was mostly meant for pads, but it is also excellent at synth bass and rhythmic elements. The onboard Arpeggiator works really well and is perfect for creating both modern and retro-sounding synth lines and melodies. The way you can integrate your hardware synth as a controller was the cherry on top. It's definitely earned it's place as an essential tool in my audio arsenal.

Yes, mb

V1 was tho?
Where did I say it like it was bad? I just said it like it is. V1 may have been part rompler, but not only rompler. Also a synth. It's pretty simple. There were DSP oscillators. So it was a synth too. That's all there is to it. V2 is also a sampler as well in the sense that you can use your own samples (not in the sense that you can record audio).

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:52 am Where did I say it like it was bad? I just said it like it is. V1 may have been part rompler, but not only rompler. Also a synth. It's pretty simple. There were DSP oscillators. So it was a synth too. That's all there is to it. V2 is also a sampler as well in the sense that you can use your own samples (not in the sense that you can record audio).
It's the defensive quality in the statement. ;) I'm not directing any of it at you specifically.
But seriously, the fact that this has to be brought up in most of these "Omni" threads in any and almost every context does feel like too many are defending something they can't let go of.
Many synths of the late '80s and early '90s were rompler synths. In fact, it was their best selling point.

Much of the E-mu, Korg and Roland lines, etc. Even now, quite a few of the better plugins are direct emulations of those romplers.
Not bad at all!

ROM always refers to "Read Only Memory" and while that meant burned into chip when it started, it has become relative to now what is locked into the plugin. Can't delete it. It's part of the plugin. Once sampler import is added, while it's still a rompler, it now has RAM features with memory backup. Now whether it actually samples or just "ramples" is nice to understand but not really that important to keep debating. And if history repeats itself yet again, it's coming shortly. <sigh>

But yeah, nothing wrong with a rompler synth. Especially with sample import.

BBFG# wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:08 am<sigh>
<sigh> indeed.

Rompler is one of those words that is usually only used in a certain context, the context being "sample-based presets-machine". Since Omni has always had samples and VA from the beginning, along with other synthesis, it's never been an accurate term technically, and it's never fit the colloquial term either. That's why people get irritated and here we are well over a decade later going over the same tired ground.

At its core, I think a lot of people - especially non-users - seem to see Omni as a very expensive machine with a lot of presets that can't be demoed with a big sample library and like to pigeonhole it as something it isn't. C'est la vie.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:16 am
BBFG# wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:08 am<sigh>
<sigh> indeed.
Rompler is one of those words that is usually only used in a certain context, the context being "sample-based presets-machine". Since Omni has always had samples and VA from the beginning, along with other synthesis, it's never been an accurate term technically, and it's never fit the colloquial term either. That's why people get irritated and here we are well over a decade later going over the same tired ground.

At its core, I think a lot of people - especially non-users - seem to see Omni as a very expensive machine with a lot of presets that can't be demoed with a big sample library and like to pigeonhole it as something it isn't. C'est la vie.
Well, its expense and non in home demo will always be the issue where discussions won't be stopped.
You can demo the hell out of it. But you have to jump through the hoops to do it. Which means traveling to the store and preparing to spend a few hours there. And making nice to the sales clerks there since you're probably going to have to do it more than once. And if a store has it but can't seem to make it work, reach out to Spectrasonics who will reach out to the store having the inability to make it work and they are known for reaching out to that store to help them get it running for demo. That's quite a few hoops that many still can't do. And often, it's not their fault. Especially when the nearest B&M is a half a tank journey. I demo'd it only when taking or picking up people to/from the airport for probably 3 or 4 years just to get a sense of it. And had to contact Spectrasonics a couple of times for them to consult with a new sales person to make sure it was available.
As far as the expense... First, the only time I see people that paid the MSRP, is in online forums. And second, I do believe the cost is more about the included samples than the synth itself.
Anyone of us into Kontakt know that sample libraries of worth are a rabbit hole that can easily vortex your bank account without even realizing it.

ROM has and will always mean to me that it has a set of ingrained samples into its parts. When I remember back to my old E-mu and Alesis racks with additional cards to give you more and then compare them to what ITB plugins give us now, the cost becomes justifiable for some, but not others.

The issues I personally have with Omni can easily be discounted by others personal choice. That is, its strengths are also its weaknesses, and there's plenty to like as well as plenty to hate about it. And each of us will set our own list that'll agree with some but won't agree with others.

These threads are always a powder keg waiting for a spark.

BBFG# wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:48 pm These threads are always a powder keg waiting for a spark.
Not really. It all depends on people. Until 2-3 pages back, the discussion was on point and my purpose of posting the topic was already addressed and I backed out, but suddenly it has taken a typical KVR turn. It can be easily avoided if we all stick to the topic (it's not completely off-topic here, but you get my point) and perhaps not continue a topic unnecessarily just for sake of arguments. Not pointing at you, just saying in general. Also, not saying one should agree/disagree to whatever is being said.

The topic turned out way better than the popcorn image posted on the first page and I was glad about that - thanks to all of you for your useful contributions, but the discussion that's happening now is perhaps what it was intended for and something we can avoid.

Sorry, not to hurt anyone's sentiments, but as an author of this topic I thought I can put forward my comments.

Thanks again, and best wishes to everyone.

ghetto - damn I can't help myself. What IS that post exactly? Is it the "hey, we've had a lot of differences of opinion, but we can all rally round a shot of a sexy woman" thing? Is it just conceivably some misplaced "humour" referring to some of Omni's filters even?

I know I'll be branded a killjoy for mentioning it, but this 1970s men's club thing is kinda pathetic.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Return to “Instruments”