The Waves Update Plan scam

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thank Grud :pray: I’m using Windows and all my plugins work right back to v9.

Once a genuine value to updating my plugins is presented, I will gladly consider purchasing an upgrade. :wink:

Great gear. Weird way to keep the lights on, which is my assumptions as to why WUP exists.
Will mix for fun

Just opened up Waves Central because my Waves plugins are crashing Live and got:
"You're using MacOS 10.15.7 (Catalina). v10 software is not supported on your system."
Not sure when that happened. I'm done with Waves.

db3 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:11 pm Just opened up Waves Central because my Waves plugins are crashing Live and got:
"You're using MacOS 10.15.7 (Catalina). v10 software is not supported on your system."
Apple made huge underlying changes to Catalina to increase security and protect our information. All developers could do was respond by updating their software. If this forces any developer to spend a lot of time and money fixing it they have no choice but to charge.

Some devs will roll this into a new plugin with new features and charge you for all that. In the case of Waves their "new features" come mostly in the form of seperate new plugins to maintain backwards compatibility with the older plugins and they handle their "maintenance" separately via WUP. This is why we can pickup a new plugin for around $30-50 and that it only costs $10-30 roughly to keep it maintained, but it also caps at around $240 if you have too many plugins. It's quite an intelligent system really, cheap, but full of dissemination because none stops to do the basic maths or to understand it properly.

Too make a long story short, a v11 wouldn't have been necessary if Apple didn't make such big, but necessary changes. Waves just got caught I the crossfire. It'll happen too though. To port their entire catalogue onto a new Native M1 CPU structure would require alot of work and debugging. That can't possibly be done for free, but hopefully Rosetta support will be.

There's a way to avoid WUP : You can now do one of their new subscriptions :lol:
More BPM please

There's another way to avoid WUP. Just don't do it. There's even one more way to avoid, if you so hate it: Stop using Waves plugins.

Can't believe the bondage some people seem to be in.

chk071 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:08 pm There's another way to avoid WUP. Just don't do it. There's even one more way to avoid, if you so hate it: Stop using Waves plugins.

This is correct. When Waves changed their transfer policy I stopped being a customer. Then their $29 sales and finally WUP requirements and in the end V12 not working on my macPOS. I will use the waves products I have until they cease to work and from there, I will no longer be a Waves user or purchase any of their products. Ever. No need to really there are so many other better products out there now. Waves is an anachronism in digital audio.

Waves sucks.

Think I bought 2 plugins from them, Codex and H-Delay. Codex was very bad, so I sold it. Kept H-Delay, which is really decent, except that I often look for a more clean delay sound, because, H-Delay saturates the signal. Apart from that, I only have freebies from them, and never did WUP.

I don't hate them, I think they have some decent products, and I don't care about the marketing. It's definitely a bit over the top, and feels more like an ad agency than a plugin developer. Anyway, everyone has to do business, they chose the way they want to do it, and it's fine for me. I know some of my fellow countrymen will always say "BOOH!! Their pricing stuff is forbidden in Germany!", but, seriously, WTH do we Germans know about business anyway? It's fine for me, because, noone is forced to buy, or upgrade their plugins. There are alternatives. Everyone is free to choose what he/she wants to buy. Don't get the fuss, either way.

chk071 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:17 pm It's definitely a bit over the top, and feels more like an ad agency than a plugin developer.
I have to agree with this. I wish they spent at least half of the marketing time and energy improving exisiting plugins (especially the very old ones)

chk071 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:08 pm There's another way to avoid WUP. Just don't do it. There's even one more way to avoid, if you so hate it: Stop using Waves plugins.

You seem to not get the sarcasm :wink:
More BPM please

chk071 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:17 pm Think I bought 2 plugins from them, Codex and H-Delay. Codex was very bad, so I sold it. Kept H-Delay, which is really decent, except that I often look for a more clean delay sound, because, H-Delay saturates the signal. Apart from that, I only have freebies from them, and never did WUP.

I don't hate them, I think they have some decent products, and I don't care about the marketing. It's definitely a bit over the top, and feels more like an ad agency than a plugin developer. Anyway, everyone has to do business, they chose the way they want to do it, and it's fine for me. I know some of my fellow countrymen will always say "BOOH!! Their pricing stuff is forbidden in Germany!", but, seriously, WTH do we Germans know about business anyway? It's fine for me, because, noone is forced to buy, or upgrade their plugins. There are alternatives. Everyone is free to choose what he/she wants to buy. Don't get the fuss, either way.
Must be a personal thing, I didn't find Codex bad whatsoever. I always like the sound of the oscillators in the Waves synths, they naturally sound thicker without the need for all those "thickening tricks"

I do think its a little bit limiting, but not every synth or sound needs to have a dozen oscillators and 100 effects. Everything has its use given the right context.

db3 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:11 pm Just opened up Waves Central because my Waves plugins are crashing Live and got:
It is absolutely ridiculous to blame Waves for the faults of Apple. But I guess being an Apple user already implies a decent amount of irrational Apple mystification as otherwise it would be hard to explain why one should pay such exaggerated prices for products from a company which does not care for backwards compatibility at all.

AKJ wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:57 pm
It is absolutely ridiculous to blame Waves for the faults of Apple. But I guess being an Apple user already implies a decent amount of irrational Apple mystification as otherwise it would be hard to explain why one should pay such exaggerated prices for products from a company which does not care for backwards compatibility at all.
I am no Apple advocate, despite being an Apple customer for 40+ years - back around 2012 they lost me. I am now "working fumes" with a 2010 Mac Pro and 2012 MacBook Pro. I refuse to upgrade the hardware for various reasons.

The point of my post is to be fair: Apple actually is pretty good about backwards compatibility, depending on what we are talking about. In terms of support of old hardware, as I said I am happily running Reaper 6 and 99% of my 3rd party tools are up to date, running on a 11 year old tower and a 9 years old laptop. That's pretty good in my books! However there are other critical issues with Apple, imho. I am hoping they fix their problems so I can justify upgrading but if not I plan to move to windoze.

dionenoid wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:53 pm There's a way to avoid WUP : You can now do one of their new subscriptions :lol:
WUP essentially is a subscription, but I can sense a "Yo dawg, I heard you like subscriptions..." meme moment about to happen...

Return to “Effects”