MPC Live 2 fun factor

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I already have Kit Maker.. but I mainly used it to convert my maschine kits to the MPC format. Will have to see if I can drag out an old windows laptop and make some kits at some point with the mpc software.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Sorry to necropost, but gotta share that the MPC has been a pleasure to work with.

I'd been working almost exclusively with Maschine, a Komplete Kontrol S61 keyboard and Komplete Ultimate (with Korg Collection) for a year, and 20 years with Reason before that (with the odd year here and there using something completely different).

I already have a solid setup - to say the least.

Anyway, this last month with the MPC Live has been incredible.

I've only been using it standalone and have a feeling I won't touch Maschine or anything else until I need to access an old project. It's so nice to make music with.

Removing all those little extra steps makes it feel more like I'm just making music, rather than making music on a computer. It's why I transitioned over to Maschine so quickly

Despite being about as powerful as my 2010 iMac, it doesn't feel underpowered. I tend to use Fabric in favour of Studio Strings, Stage EP, Stage Piano, etc. as it seems to be the best suited for standalone use (while the patches are still pretty solid).

Its brass is lacking a little here and there, while woodwind is missing completely, but I have lots of samples and can autosample anything I need (which I'm sure I'll do eventually).

The built-in speakers are surprisingly loud with some decent bass.

Maybe I'm fooling myself, but I'm sure the neighbours appreciate it when I occasionally switch from my studio speakers to the MPC Live's speakers.

Tbh, I only got the Live because I was originally going to get a digital piano, but felt that if I was going to spend that much on one, it would be silly to overlook something else in that price range like a Fantom or a Montage. While trying out the Fantom-0, I also had a go of their MC range, ... but I had the MPC One for a while last year and already knew I liked Fabric ... so it was a no-brainer.

It was a quick transition from a Digital Piano to MPC Live 👍

Previously on "avasopht's studio setup", I'd bought myself a Dell Micro that's about the size of a Mac Mini and a portable 7" touch-screen to give myself a Maschine+ experience (but better, because it's compatible with the whole library, can load VSTs, and has much more CPU power).

I've used it for two live performances, but the MPC live simplifies the whole thing (well, except the MPC One fits into a much smaller rucksack).

The MPC Live is very powerful. It comes with some useable synths too. If you are interested in MPC Expansion packs, I sell some here for literally a few quid each! :)

https://newloops.com/collections/akai-m ... sion-packs

avasopht wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:36 pm Sorry to necropost, but gotta share that the MPC has been a pleasure to work with. ..

I'd been working .. and 20 years with Reason before that (with the odd year here and there using something completely different).

I already have a solid setup - to say the least.

Anyway, this last month with the MPC Live has been incredible.
As a fellow Reasoner, I feel like we both had a similar trajectory. MPC Live II still remains pretty much my favorite studio gear out of everything, and yeah - just as fun as it's always been! I will say Force takes a close second, but that's only because its Clip/Matrix workflow clicks with me. If I could get that on my MPC, it would choice.

https://youtu.be/ATkUqWssSGc?t=14
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:21 pm
As a fellow Reasoner, I feel like we both had a similar trajectory. MPC Live II still remains pretty much my favorite studio gear out of everything, and yeah - just as fun as it's always been! I will say Force takes a close second, but that's only because its Clip/Matrix workflow clicks with me. If I could get that on my MPC, it would choice.

https://youtu.be/ATkUqWssSGc?t=14
In all honesty, I bought the Live with the expectation I'd eventually grab a Force later ;)

I really enjoyed the Ableton/AKAI Push workflow.

Will also have to see what the MPC XL has to offer.

avasopht wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:50 pm Will also have to see what the MPC XL has to offer.
Well don't get your hopes up too much. Unless Akai plans to obsolete the entire lineup, they've all got the same hardware inside (as does most of inMusic's SoC products), which they can't seem to do a thing with anymore except break it. Some just have extra buttons, some just have different I/O modules plugged in.

Taking a wild guess (if it even exists) it's just going to be an X with the 4GB SoC from the Keys and free licenses for their 'plugins'.

Alright, looks like I'm about to become a first-time MPC owner - just scored a great deal on a Live 2 Retro edition in basically new condition. Honestly, it was never on my radar, but I was offered a no-brainer deal (i.e., that I could easily resell it for the same or more if I don't like it), so I started watching a ton of reviews and tutorials and was pretty surprised at the workflow. I've been a Maschine user since v1 (currently on mk3) and I've sorta grown to just hate that thing, but it's not even worth selling it with the secondhand prices being so low and the number of old projects and ideas I have stored up for it. The MPC Live 2 looks to be much more of what I always wished Maschine was. I'm pretty stoked for now and can't wait to get my hands on it (ETA: tomorrow), so we'll see how it goes... :pray:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:51 pm Alright, looks like I'm about to become a first-time MPC owner
Welcome! :tu: :party:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:58 pm
cryophonik wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:51 pm Alright, looks like I'm about to become a first-time MPC owner
Welcome! :tu: :party:
You say that now, but when I come back here with a million questions, you'll be wishing I never joined the MPC club :hihi:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:03 pm You say that now, but when I come back here with a million questions, you'll be wishing I never joined the MPC club :hihi:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”