Why do most DAW browsers suck?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Excluding Cubase and Nuendo, can anyone name another DAW that actually can tag content,samples,fx,patches,loops etc? Logic finally allows user locations in a better way, but damn.

When I say suck, I mean zero tagging, even Native Instruments Kore and Machine,Komplete Kontrol synths like Omnisphere destroy DAW browsers in terms of searching for instruments by tag, Why? Do developers not recognize the need for this sort of workflow?
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

trusampler wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:53 pm Excluding Cubase and Nuendo, can anyone name another DAW that actually can tag content,samples,fx,patches,loops etc? Logic finally allows user locations in a better way, but damn.

When I say suck, I mean zero tagging, even Native Instruments Kore and Machine,Komplete Kontrol synths like Omnisphere destroy DAW browsers in terms of searching for instruments by tag, Why? Do developers not recognize the need for this sort of workflow?
Bitwig has tagging and has Fuzzy search. It doesn't have the granularity of something like Maschine or Komplete Kontrol but the only reason NI has that is because they literally make every instrument and sample pack on those devices. Try that with something external like a Splice library or 3rd party non-nks VST and you will start to see why most DAWs don't really bother.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

omnisphere has thousands of patches
your daw has your vsts, if you have thousands, you might just be better deleting some that tagging the others?

Cubase /Nuendo have the best browser in any daw imo, and it's proof that it can be done, to tag vsts,fx,audio files etc, I've still yet to find Bitwigs browser in the same league.Perhaps Bitwig 4 will be better..

Presonus Studio One,which I'm a fan of, has the most boring of all again my opinion,zero tagging, which is a shame,especially since they claim they have a great workflow. :uhuhuh: not when it comes to tagging files in a browser.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

trusampler wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:25 pm Presonus Studio One,which I'm a fan of, has the most boring of all again my opinion,zero tagging, which is a shame,especially since they claim they have a great workflow. :uhuhuh: not when it comes to tagging files in a browser.

For Studio One, download the Sound Set Builder 4 Extension from the cloud tab in Studio One, and follow Marcus Huskens video in how to tag your content. Main info begins from 1.40. You'll need to restart Studio One for the extension to be properly initialised.

Notice in the bottom right corner of the video screenshot in where the tags are shown ( at the bottom you'll see a new text field for 'Tags' you will find in the Files tab. Click on the 'Tag' button and the tag menu will pop out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYDlMMm8LfU

So there is tagging... it's just there as an extension.

And with Effects and Instruments for those who don't know, you have a favorites system as well to tag them as in their own folder as well.

You can create your own route tab for folders as well, so you can quickly access any sample content you have.

So as you'll find, Studio One's Browser is really quite flexible not just in managing things visually but in access and management as well, including tagging.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:38 am, edited 5 times in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

The Tracktion Waveform browser can tag anything (although I mainly use it to tag plugins and racks it can also tag samples and presets)

I actually like how Reason handles their browser. I'm more of a, I know what folder to look in and not really wanting to look up something like "kick" and end up with a list of 5000 kicks

trusampler wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:53 pm Do developers not recognize the need for this sort of workflow?
I agree it should just be built into the DAW but there are other tools out there these days like Loopcloud which is a very great tool for tagging, previewing, and searching for samples. Hell I'd say it's better than pretty much any DAW out there.

trusampler wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:53 pm Excluding Cubase and Nuendo, can anyone name another DAW that actually can tag content,samples,fx,patches,loops etc? Logic finally allows user locations in a better way, but damn.

I don't even know what you're talking about. What tags would you put on an instrument? "Synth"!?! It seems like it would be a huge waste of time to me.
aMUSEd wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:08 pm The Tracktion Waveform browser can tag anything (although I mainly use it to tag plugins and racks it can also tag samples and presets)
Are you honestly so stupid you can't remember than Chorus JUN-6 is a chorus effect and/or where to find it when you want to use it? I have more than 300 VSTs installed and I never have trouble finding anything.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

And here comes mr. Bones - the same old record stuck on repeat 😁

/* static noise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

pixel85 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:26 amAnd here comes mr. Bones - the same old record stuck on repeat 😁
The thing is, I don't expect everything to be made just the way I want it, I am happy to adapt to the environment. In this instance, I don't see any merit in using tags when you could just as easily organise things yourself, in ways that work. e.g. You could spend 5 minutes adding a few sub-folders and organising your plugins into them, rather than sitting on your fat duff and whinging because your host won't organise things for you. It works in Windows Explorer, it works in Finder, it will work in any 3rd party file browser and it's probably less effort than going through and adding tags to everything. You're welcome.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

ya dont naa-eed ta tag em

BONES wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:16 am

I don't even know what you're talking about. What tags would you put on an instrument? "Synth"!?! It seems like it would be a huge waste of time to me.
aMUSEd wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:08 pm The Tracktion Waveform browser can tag anything (although I mainly use it to tag plugins and racks it can also tag samples and presets)
Are you honestly so stupid you can't remember than Chorus JUN-6 is a chorus effect and/or where to find it when you want to use it? I have more than 300 VSTs installed and I never have trouble finding anything.
Synths can be Analog Emulations, Digital, Cinematic, Percussion, Subtractive, Additive, Granular, Spectral, FM, Hybrid, Sample-based, etc.

So, yea, it's useful for Synths as well.

Also, choosing specific examples that are plainly obvious is intentionally missing the point simply to argue about the matter being discussed...

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

How is that relevant to what you're doing, though? I have never in the 40 years I've been using synths thought "this is a job for a "cinematic synth" because, as far as I'm concerned, every synth I own is capable of doing "cinematic" sounds. Every synth is capable of doing "analogue emulation", even a DX7. Every synth is capable of doing "percussion" and all the rest of it. Seriously, go through the presets in any synth you own and look at all the different categories of sounds they break the presets into. And I don't have so many granular synths that I need to remind myself which ones they are.

What I am much more likely to want to recall is which synth has a particular patch I remember hearing 12 or 18 months ago when I got it, so being able to favourite patches within a synth's own browser is really handy, as is Studio One's ability to favourite a plugin with a particular patch pre-loaded. But tagging your plugins is ridiculous.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”