Released: Free Synthesizer Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Odin 2

Hi guys, it's been a while!

I am once again looking for beta testers!

Odin 2.3 beta is completed! You can find the installer for the beta on the Github NightlyDevel page!

New features which need to be tested:
- A new FX Module: Reverb
- Microtuning: You can import / export Scala- and Kbmtuning files to tune the synth in whatever way you see fit
- MIDI Breath (CC 2) is now a modulation source
- ModMatrix amounts can now be used in the range [-300, 300]
- Retrig Playmode: New notes now restart from the current ADSR values, as opposed to zero.
- FM- PM ratio range increased to [1, 16]
- Factory Presets are now contained within the plugin binary
- All paths opened with patch browsers are now permanently saved and shared between plugin instances
- Init Patch now has the filter cutoff fully open

Please leave a short note if you're testing. And of course if you did or did not encounter any problems!

Many thanks and have fun! :D

Hey,

that's such great news!
Thank you and the gods so much for developing this already fantastic synth even further. :tu:

Amazing new features!

Testing right now (not that I would be the best/typical tester) - the import of scala-files is great.
When changing between presets there can be a short (harsh) volume jump, but no problem when a limiter sits on the channel (so no bug).
Last edited by thomekk on Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

Very nice to see this project being continued. :tu:

Fantastic news. I'm downloading now and testing.

It sounds much better with the cutoff fully open on Init. (Not that it's a big issue)
The reverb module sounds really beautiful with the HF damping on full.
So far seems to function well in Cakewalk By Bandlab and Cantabile Lite on Win7.

:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

The reverb has a sort of delayed "bloom" that travels with the Decay setting, becoming more pronounced above 175ms in...giving the impression that some amount of pre-delay is at work...even though Pre-Delay is set to 20ms. The EQ can reduce this somewhat with a cut around 300Hz. I'm not saying this is bad, as it makes up the "character"of this reverb. But if it were me, I'd try and tamp that bloom down a bit to make the overall sound a bit more neutral using longer decay times.
On a number of Macs

Ok thanks everybody for your testing!
Weasel-Boy wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:29 am The reverb has a sort of delayed "bloom" that travels with the Decay setting, becoming more pronounced above 175ms in...giving the impression that some amount of pre-delay is at work...even though Pre-Delay is set to 20ms.
Thanks for your feedback! I am trying to test and wrap my head around what you mean, but Decay values start at 1s, yet you say 175ms?

This synth has tons of potential! I like the sounds it makes! :tu:
Windows 10 and too many plugins

I tried th LV2 and vst3, and the sound and presets are really good by any standard, great fun, and the gui is among my favorites. At 150% I can stretch the plugin panel to the right OK, to show that edge of the gui. Makes me want a nice monitor! This is in Ubuntu Studio 19.10, using their official nvidia driver on a nvidia pcie GT9400 video card. Having a more distinct bottom edge of the gui might help us old fogies. I thought the gui was chopped off until I checked online screenshots. The thin bottom line blends in with at least a daw theme I'm using. Maybe a 4 pixel sliver of wood would be doable?. I wish NI would hire you to do a gui for Super 8 and Massive X. You're making a really great instrument, which sounds and looks, and works good enough to prefer over kommercial kompetitors! :hyper:

Odin23beta100%reaper629.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TheWaveWarden wrote:
Thanks for your feedback! I am trying to test and wrap my head around what you mean, but Decay values start at 1s, yet you say 175ms?
My apologies. I meant 1.75s not 175ms. As to what I mean by “bloom” is that there is a pronounced rising build-up of reflections after a signal excites the reverb that becomes noticeable mid way through the time determined by the Decay setting. It’s quite non-linear and gives the impression that some amount Pre-Delay has been introduced, when in fact, it has not. This is more of an observation than a complaint.
On a number of Macs

@thewavewarden

Wow! What a great synth. The sound is among the best freeware and most payware. The filters are lively and the unison is thick.
Extremely well laid out with just the right feature set. I kinda like not seeing any waves. The sequencer is simple and fun.
We don't see a dedicated PM section ( at least called PM ) these days. Nice to have both PM and FM.

Most of all it's just really fun. I can see myself reaching for this often.

Thank you so much.

I did not experience any issues on Win 7 Reaper 6.29 intel i5
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:47 am We don't see a dedicated PM section ( at least called PM ) these days. Nice to have both PM and FM.
There is a PhaseMod oscillator. Is that not what you are referring to?

Erisian wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:26 am
Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:47 am We don't see a dedicated PM section ( at least called PM ) these days. Nice to have both PM and FM.
Yes there is
That was my point. Because the DX7 mis named their architecture most have followed calling PM...FM. Odin calls FM...FM and PM....PM and has both.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:17 pm
Erisian wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:26 am
Yes there is
That was my point. Because the DX7 mis named their architecture most have followed calling PM...FM. Odin calls FM...FM and PM....PM and has both.
Oh yes, sorry I misread your post. :oops:

glokraw wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:51 am Having a more distinct bottom edge of the gui might help us old fogies. I thought the gui was chopped off until I checked online screenshots.
Yeah, I've often thought I was missing something along the bottom edge. Totally trivial but a few more pixels would improve the kerb appeal :)

Return to “Instruments”