Algonaut Atlas 2 finally announced. New buyers get 2 for free, 19$ upgrade for others.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Atlas Atlas 2

Raddler1 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:42 pm Perhaps in an update have the ability to have as many lanes open at once. Might seem trivial for some, but velocity is everything with drums. Gotta be a fast and easy workflow for me.
+1

I gotta say, I really appreciate the simplicity of setting velocities in XO. It's very quick and slick.

I'd love for the lanes in Atlas 2 to stick around though, because I hope in the future we'd be able to use them for more than just velocity (see Geist).

Yup, 3 hours now playing with the demo and I find the sequencer workflow regards velocity is not well thought out. Editing step velocities towards the end of a 16 bar pattern is cumbersome. You gotta move the mouse all the way left to open the respective velocity lane, then move back towards your edit area. If this gets fixed, instant buy for me.

As someone mentioned, Geist nailed this feature with the ability to have all velocity lanes open at once.

Regardless, this plugin is a very inspiring and fun to use. Very creatively laid out in so many ways.

Raddler1 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:42 pm Constantly having to open and close the velocity lanes in the sequencer is why I won't buy it. Perhaps in an update have the ability to have as many lanes open at once. Might seem trivial for some, but velocity is everything with drums. Gotta be a fast and easy workflow for me.

Everything else is near perfect. Please dev, consider my request ;)
100% Agreed. Although I bought it, the velocity lane isn't something I'd try to use - to many mouse clicks involved. This is definitely one of those things that'd improve workflow once implemented properly.

Also I wish there's a way to enter values directly into those knobs instead of having to completely rely on dragging. Also a workflow thing I'd say.

How is the groove/swing/feel compared to XO? I could make XO feel like my old MPC, it had serious mojo.

I don't know why more plugin developers, especially of drum synths with a sequencer don't incorporate the step velocity directly into the step sequencer, without any separate lanes.

Velocity is a basic parameter and makes or breaks a drum track.

They can have separate lanes for other less basic parameters.

As others said, it's a workflow thing, and when making a drum track, speed and convenience is important.

dfraze wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:20 pm I don't know why more plugin developers, especially of drum synths with a sequencer don't incorporate the step velocity directly into the step sequencer, without any separate lanes.

Velocity is a basic parameter and makes or breaks a drum track.

They can have separate lanes for other less basic parameters.

As others said, it's a workflow thing, and when making a drum track, speed and convenience is important.
100 %. I thought the same. Be able to pull up or down on a step block directly on the pattern.

Anyone know if I can add my personal sample library to the browser and drag and drop/hot swap .wav samples from there?

The maps view is fun, but sometimes I'd like to come back to grabbing my samples from organized folders I've created.

Raddler1 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:42 pm Anyone know if I can add my personal sample library to the browser and drag and drop/hot swap .wav samples from there?

The maps view is fun, but sometimes I'd like to come back to grabbing my samples from organized folders I've created.
Looks like the same issue as mid files. Can get the folder tree, but not access files there... (CAN just drag them from Explorer[assume finder too])
Atlas-SampleFolders-NoFiles.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NTO wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:04 am
Raddler1 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:42 pm Anyone know if I can add my personal sample library to the browser and drag and drop/hot swap .wav samples from there?

Looks like the same issue as mid files. Can get the folder tree, but not access files there... (CAN just drag them from Explorer[assume finder too])
Atlas-SampleFolders-NoFiles.jpg
You got further ahead than me. I can't drag any external folder to the browser, let alone see it's contents. How did you get that loopmasters pack in the browser? I'm using the demo so maybe it's a limitation. I'm on mac as well.

EDIT: I got one of my personal sample folders in the browser tree by adding that folder inside the argonaut content folder/user/unsorted. Still, I cannot see it's contents.

Hm, I tried it but wasn't too thrilled.. all my samples ended up in a circular lump in the middle, regions are marked but there's no separation unless I zoom way in. I rebuilt the map to see i fit was a fluke, this time limited to drum samples, but I got the same blob again and kicks were now located between tambourine and shakers, nothing like what the factory library looks like:

I also got quite a few obvious misplacements ("HH Open" under tambourine etc.), the algo apparently doesn't read names or paths when sorting... I was excited to try Atlas because XO is way too deep for me, I just want that AI-assisted easy sample browsing, but this was quite a step back.

Mulling sononym now... :dog:

Hi Matt, can you clear up a few questions for me ( and suggestions)...

1) Can I access .wav samples/folders from directly within the browser? If so, can they be hot swapped to existing pads? Also, If I do create my own atlas pack, can I then drag and drop samples from the browser? I'm not talking kits, but individual samples.

2) Regards the velocity lanes, would you be considering in a future update having multiple lanes open at once?

3) I thought a neat feature would be to have a level slider directly on the drum pad itself. Saves having to go to the advanced tab to set the gain.

4) I noticed in the 8x8 view, we lose the hot swap/find new drum feature. Not sure why.

5) Another neat feature I thought of would be to simply double click on a drum pad to open the advanced section. This would be easier to edit the waveform.

6) Maybe in a future update, the sequencer view could be enlarged. An option to view 4 or 8 or 16 lanes.

7) XO has a great feature that auto detects the start of a waveform. Would be nice to see that.

8 ) More added swing options, globally and per sequencer track.

9) A feature in the advanced tab to widen/mono a sample.

My thoughts ;) Thanks.
Last edited by Raddler1 on Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Atlas 2.0.1 has been released, check your emails. It's a Bugfix and Feature update. Thanks for the update Matt!

Email says:-
Release week chaos has settled and we've had the chance to fix a few bugs and
add a few often requested features.
A big one for those Of you Who upgraded from Atlas I you can now see your
Atlas 1 Drum Kits in the Browser. Just hit the 'Refresh' button in the Browser to
scan these in, they will appear as a special 'shortcut folder'.
Thanks for all the bug reports, feature requests, and support of Atlas 2. The
response has been amazing. And hold tight, plenty more updates are on the
way!
Matt Weir
Founder/Lead Dev
Changelist
• Master Gain knob.
• Atlas 1 drum kits now appear in Browser as a shortcut folder.
(Refresh your Browser to get these to appear)
• Currently open Map name is now on UI.
• Map Mode (Earth/Galaxy) default can now be set in Settings.
• Fixed occasional crash on opening 'Packs Online' in Browser.
• Fixed bug where sometimes the Drum pad Lock button
wouldn't show on hover.
• Tooltip for Sequencer on/off button.
• Fixed bug where importing longer MIDI files sometirnes broke
the sequencer UI.
• Fixed bug where MIDI files with uppercase file extensions would
not import on drag-drop.

Thank you thank you thank you Matt! I apologize for wanting so much from thus plug buts just so awesome. You've found that missing productivity we've all been missing!

Super minor request - When in the sequence browser, make the mouse over buttons of sequencer/sample clickable so we don't have to expand drop down to switch (for example when browsing each sound of bcm selections).

Not so minor - make almost every sample parameter automatable in the expanded sequencer lanes kind of like (https://www.rigid-audio.com/products_sodium.html) or at least attack decay release pitch cutoff resonance etc ok I'll run away now...

Would also love 1/4 and 8th note divisions.

I'll be honest, this is basically becoming my preferred way to sequencer in Reaper. Doing beats in Reaper feels tedious, whereas here it's fun, it's like an old school sampler/sequencer but way better. So much more musical during the process.

also... I LOVE the included sequences and sounds, they sound absolutely top notch. I go from preset to preset and just enjoy listening to it. Very inspirational stuff to include. Also love the ability to manually handle the maps (not sure if that was in v1 or not). It couldn't quite bring in one of my maps so I just deleted the old file and recreated it, no biggie!

It's just a joy to use honestly.

Dang! I bought this back in December based on the promise that I would be eligible for free upgrade.... I am not happy to say the least.

Return to “Instruments”