E-Phonic Invader 2 v1.0.11 (WIN / OSX)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Invader 2

BONES wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:32 am Hard Sync and Ring Mod are plenty for me, what would FM achieve?
It’s more a ‘nice to have’ feature query really. FM and ring-mod are different so I don’t think it’s a case of either-or.

I love the musical sounds FM can produce on the Nord Lead 2X and 4, and Viper has a similar ability.

Just a general question as to whether it’s on a distant roadmap, or not under consideration. 👍

I’ve been having some fun with Invader tonight. Here’s a few patches I’ve made.

Download here - v0.2 https://easyupload.io/fbd0uy

ARP Gritty One Key
ARP Platinum
ARP The Fool
ARP To The End
FX Computing
FX Downwards
FX Incoming Robot
LD Sync Echoes
LD Yeah Go On Then
LEAD Bitterness
LEAD Sadness
PAD Back In The Day
PAD Sing To Me
PAD Space Queen
PAD Sunrise
SYN 80s 1
SYN 80s 2
SYN 80s 3
SYN Clashy Yum Yum
SYN Harmonic Play
SYN Juno Chords
SYN Musical Grit
SYN Platinum Play
SYN Softly Does It
SYN The Harsh Reality
SYN Unsure And Reserved
Last edited by steb_osc on Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steb_osc wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:14 pm I’ve been having some fun with Invader tonight. Here’s a few patches I’ve made.

Download here: https://easyupload.io/v31tdx

ARP Gritty One Key
ARP Platinum
LD Yeah Go On Then
PAD Back In The Day
PAD Sing To Me
SYN 80s 1
SYN 80s 2
SYN 80s 3
SYN Clashy Yum Yum
SYN Harmonic Play
SYN Juno Chords
SYN Musical Grit
SYN Platinum Play
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/invade ... /downloads

Thanks, I’ll do that as the above link will expire. I’ve added a few more this evening.

steb_osc wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:40 pmIt’s more a ‘nice to have’ feature query really. FM and ring-mod are different so I don’t think it’s a case of either-or.
It depends how you look at things. One of the advantages of cross-modulation is you can do metallic kinds of sounds and Ring Mod does that as well as FM. Using Hard Sync more subtly that usual can make for some FMish kind of stuff, too. It's all about results for me, not how you achieve them.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Isn't it great to see a thread where KVR is doing what it is supposed to do - everyone helping each other. Two lots of patches generously shared for free is the kind of thing this place should be all about but rarely is. Thanks Tek and stab_osc.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I won't make any more patches as long as the weird osc phase issue is not resolved...

steb_osc wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:14 pm I’ve been having some fun with Invader tonight. Here’s a few patches I’ve made.
Nice! :tu:

e-crooner wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:52 am I won't make any more patches as long as the weird osc phase issue is not resolved...
What weird osc phase issue are you referring to? I'm not aware of this i guess :-)

e-phonic wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:11 pm
e-crooner wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:52 am I won't make any more patches as long as the weird osc phase issue is not resolved...
What weird osc phase issue are you referring to? I'm not aware of this i guess :-)
This:
e-crooner wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:28 pm
Vortifex wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:56 pm What's going on with the way the main oscs affect the sub osc? If I select a saw on osc 1 and select a pulse on the sub it's as if the sub gets stuck in a random part of a pulse width modulation even though it's not being modulated, and you have to keep reselecting the waveform to get the right part of the modulation for the sound you want. And if I bring down the level of the main osc and bring it up again the same thing happens. It makes it random pot luck as to what your patch will sound like if you use the sub osc. I have two other synths with a sub osc (U-NO-LX and Phonec2) and don't experience this. It makes it impossible to save a bass preset that sounds a particular way, for example.

To demonstrate I made a short sequence with the osc 1 volume slider being automated every 4 notes, starting with it at full volume then dropping to 0 then repeating: https://voca.ro/1o3UxMJp27Mf
Yes, I noticed weird behavior myself a few days ago when I wondering about the sub's actual waveform because when I did the same sub+osc combination in another synth it didn't sound anything like it.

In Invader it sounds as if the sub is phase-locked to the main oscillators, and its initial phase is set randomly.

You can also leave the sub on and slightly detune the main oscillator, and undo that, yet it sounds different than before.

When the phase relationship is right, it sounds very good and consistent, like on the Roland Juno where all waves are derived from the same signal and thus phase-locked.

The sub osc is free running separate from the main oscs. This allows you to detune the main osc from the sub osc the way you can in Invader 2. When detuning, the phase of the 2 oscs will drift. Nothing you can do about that.
Also, not playing voices are not processed, this might cause the oscillators of each voice to be at another phase when you start them.

If you want the oscillators to be in sync each note, you can enable the 'osc restart'. (The small |< icon above the oscillators)

e-phonic wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:44 pm The sub osc is free running separate from the main oscs. This allows you to detune the main osc from the sub osc the way you can in Invader 2. When detuning, the phase of the 2 oscs will drift. Nothing you can do about that.
Also, not playing voices are not processed, this might cause the oscillators of each voice to be at another phase when you start them.

If you want the oscillators to be in sync each note, you can enable the 'osc restart'. (The small |< icon above the oscillators)
Must check this :phones: out

e-phonic wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:44 pm The sub osc is free running separate from the main oscs. This allows you to detune the main osc from the sub osc the way you can in Invader 2. When detuning, the phase of the 2 oscs will drift. Nothing you can do about that.

Sorry, I don't think that is the case. There is something weird about it.

For instance: when you load the synth and get the default sound, add the sub to max, play around and remember the sound. Now turn on the osc restart, play around and remember the sound. Now turn the osc restart off again and play. It sounds as if the osc restart is still on.

e-crooner wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:48 pm Sorry, I don't think that is the case. There is something weird about it.
I'm not sure what you mean, what is not the case?
e-crooner wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:48 pm For instance: when you load the synth and get the default sound, add the sub to max, play around and remember the sound. Now turn on the osc restart, play around and remember the sound. Now turn the osc restart off again and play. It sounds as if the osc restart is still on.
Well, that because you just synced the oscillators. They will remain in sync until something causes it to go out of sync again.

What I can do is sync the sub to osc1 whenever it starts a new voice or you turn on the sub. That will probably give a more consistant sound. I'll investigate this.

e-phonic wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:39 am
e-crooner wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:48 pm Sorry, I don't think that is the case. There is something weird about it.
I'm not sure what you mean, what is not the case?
e-crooner wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:48 pm For instance: when you load the synth and get the default sound, add the sub to max, play around and remember the sound. Now turn on the osc restart, play around and remember the sound. Now turn the osc restart off again and play. It sounds as if the osc restart is still on.
Well, that because you just synced the oscillators. They will remain in sync until something causes it to go out of sync again.

What I can do is sync the sub to osc1 whenever it starts a new voice or you turn on the sub. That will probably give a more consistant sound. I'll investigate this.
Well, it just doesn't behave the way it should in my view, i.e. the way it is in other synths.

When I use any two osc's (including sub) at the same time, their phase seems to be locked and there is no oscillator beating, the sound is perfectly static and consistent. That is not how free-running oscillators behave in my view. When I do the same thing in Sylenth1 for instance (with both retrigger buttons off), the sound character is different with every note I play, which makes sense as each osc starts at a different moment of its phase, which when combined leads to a different overall waveform. I get the impression that Invader oscillators are never free-running, regardless of the restart button.

Also, does the restart button in osc 1 apply to all three oscillators? I am asking because I noticed that when I use only the sub and osc 2, turning the restart button in osc 1 on changes the sound, which is unexpected.

Regarding unsyncing the oscillators. I think merely turning off restart should be what triggers the unsyncing.

I don't know if you have any other synth to compare...

Return to “Instruments”