Released: Free Synthesizer Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Odin 2

TheWaveWarden wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:34 am - Microtuning: You can import / export Scala- and Kbmtuning files to tune the synth in whatever way you see fit
are there any plans on supporting the new MTS-ESP ODDsound tuning system ?

https://oddsound.com/
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=563023

glokraw wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:51 am Having a more distinct bottom edge of the gui might help us old fogies. I thought the gui was chopped off until I checked online screenshots.
Ok cool, I didn't realize this was an issue. I will add it to my backlog and maybe add something to separate the editor.
Weasel-Boy wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:42 am My apologies. I meant 1.75s not 175ms. As to what I mean by “bloom” is that there is a pronounced rising build-up of reflections after a signal excites the reverb that becomes noticeable mid way through the time determined by the Decay setting. It’s quite non-linear and gives the impression that some amount Pre-Delay has been introduced, when in fact, it has not. This is more of an observation than a complaint.
I will look into it. Allthough I haven't really gotten into the DSP guts of the reverb and understood how it really works. I've rather just ported it over and was happy that it worked as intended. But maybe there is something which can be done.
muki wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:08 pm are there any plans on supporting the new MTS-ESP ODDsound tuning system ?
So far not, no. I've had a discussion with someone from team surge in the Github issue regarding the microtuning about this. From what he's said, there is no support for linux for MTS-ESP, which is a deal breaker for me. Maybe it can be done when things have developed further on their end.

In Surge we just make the option not show up on Linux. No biggie, and can be easily reenabled once ODDSound guys work on Linux side of things. Definitely still a viable thing to add to Odin, I think.

I tried Odin 2.3 yesterday. The reverb is a nice addition.

I did notice a small gui glitch that was not present in 2.2. sometimes when opening the gui the fx tabs are misaligned and some element of the tabs are missing. This is easily corrected by closing and reopening or switching between sizes.

Odin 2.3.
Reaper 6.29
win 7
Intel i5

Also. I agree with an earlier poster that the envelopes could use some more adjustment in their curves. This could be accomplished in the gui by inserting 4 knobs in the section between the envelopes. Each knob corresponding to an envelope. Center would be linear far, left concave and far right convex.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:38 am I did notice a small gui glitch that was not present in 2.2. sometimes when opening the gui the fx tabs are misaligned and some element of the tabs are missing. This is easily corrected by closing and reopening or switching between sizes.
Thanks for reporting. I can confirm this happens in Reaper on Win10 when initially opening the GUI. I will fix it before the final release.

Odin causes Renoise to freeze on Win10 when loading a scala file.

Also, in the mod submenu, the modulation destination for oscillator exponential pitch has no spaces between words, whereas all other modulation destinations have spaces between words. More of an aesthetic niggle, but it's still an irregularity worth mentioning, looks a bit off.

BTW, where are the user and factory presets stored? I can't find the location of the folder.

crickey13 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:24 pm Odin causes Renoise to freeze on Win10 when loading a scala file.
Yep, I can confirm this one too. Thanks for reporting, it will be taken care of!

It's my first exposure to Renoise. This thing is based on the concept of a tracker? My, that's awesome :D
crickey13 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:24 pm Also, in the mod submenu, the modulation destination for oscillator exponential pitch has no spaces between words, whereas all other modulation destinations have spaces between words. More of an aesthetic niggle, but it's still an irregularity worth mentioning, looks a bit off.
Easy fix, thanks.
crickey13 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:24 pm BTW, where are the user and factory presets stored? I can't find the location of the folder.
As of version 2.3, the factory presets are baked into the binary. User patches on Windows are located in:
C:\ProgramData\odin2

crickey13 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:24 pm Odin causes Renoise to freeze on Win10 when loading a scala file.
It's a bug in JUCE, which is already fixed on develop branch. However, I don't want to build agains develop for the time being, as not to introduce other unwanted changes.

I'll probably delay the release until the next stable JUCE release, which apparently is within the next few weeks.

TheWaveWarden wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:52 pm User patches on Windows are located in:
Hmmm... Users\<username>\Documents folder is where user content should be, really.

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:41 pm
TheWaveWarden wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:52 pm User patches on Windows are located in:
Hmmm... Users\<username>\Documents folder is where user content should be, really.
Sorry, NO. Any developer who thinks like that litters the Documents folder intended for... eeh... DOCUMENTS. :hihi:

TheWaveWarden wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:30 pm It's a bug in JUCE, which is already fixed on develop branch. However, I don't want to build agains develop for the time being, as not to introduce other unwanted changes.

I'll probably delay the release until the next stable JUCE release, which apparently is within the next few weeks.
Maybe that's for the best. If some bugs come to light, you will be able to squash them in the meantime. I feel this version is going to be a lot more usable than the last one. There were a few niggles here and there and now, the synth feels a lot more complete and polished now.

The envelopes make more sense sonically, the modulation ranges have been extended in a usable way (at least I believe they've been extended, modulating destinations with a MIDI note gives way more noticeable changes in sound), microtuning etc. Just feels more solid overall, looking forward to the upcoming release.
EvilDragon wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:41 pm Hmmm... Users\<username>\Documents folder is where user content should be, really.
That's my preference too, but that's okay.

lobanov wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:53 pm
Sorry, NO. Any developer who thinks like that litters the Documents folder intended for... eeh... DOCUMENTS. :hihi:
Well either that or the Roaming folder so that it syncs over networks. But Documents folder is not hidden whereas Roaming is.

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:08 pm
lobanov wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:53 pm
Well either that or the Roaming folder so that it syncs over networks. But Documents folder is not hidden whereas Roaming is.
It's an age old argument that I don't think anybody will ever solve satisfactorily. Which files should be system-only, which should be available for all users and which should be for only the one user? And where to put them?

Personally, I hate all the garbage that shows up in my Documents folder on macOS. Problem is, Apple now hides the user Library folder, which is the better place for some. Apple also places all of the Logic user files in the Music folder next to all of your MP3s. :dog:

There's like 5 or 6 different places on macOS and Windows both that files and folders get strewn about, all with valid arguments for placing them there. What can you do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

On Windows, I think consigning data to the hidden appdata/roaming... folder is fine, not sure why we have that and program data, maybe as appdata is user specific I guess?

ProgramData is for all users on the machine (which is not something that should be forced by the program, so this is why I think Odin shouldn't just save user patches by default to ProgramData, it should only save user patches for current user, either in Documents or Roaming, where Documents is helluva lot more visible and more easily accessible).

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/local-lo ... windows-10

Return to “Instruments”