Mangler

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys! I've seen some plugins that call themselves "mangle"... But what exactly is mangle in the context of audio? What is its use?

Could be useful in all sorts of genres. For sure, glitch. Experimental stuff, yep. And in other genres, sounds you get from mangling can be accent sounds, like something coming in here and there on a trance song.

People will sometimes bounce to audio and slice out bits to use.

Drum loops can be reinvented in extreme ways (or mangled lightly?). Rhythmic melodic loops can be taken in cool directions. Mangling effects can be about discovering.

Just brainstorming.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Also known as FSU plugins. Usually means chopping audio into slices and rearranging it to create new rhythms or melodies, etc ... some also add fx like reverb, delay, distortion to different slices. Lots of extreme randomization options ...

The whole spectrum of possibilities for this would need to include the context of midi as well as audio. Some mangling you can only get with midi (note message processing), and some only with audio wave.

I get it... So basically it's a concept that proposes to change the sound with all possible range of effects... Distortion, gate, cut, modulation, etc... Actually experimental and random... It's interesting, but little used I believe me, outside the context of electronic music and experimental music...

Yeah almost never happens in classical music unless Tj Shredder is getting it into his mangle…

KIMCHRISTOPHER wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:34 pm .. It's interesting, but little used I believe me, outside the context of electronic music and experimental music...
You can get ideas/inspiration for composing on piano from mangling an imported midi file, or something you record.

Invert and apply negative harmony to it, for example.

Well, it is definitely a part of cinematic music.

In a scoring competition/show/whatever, Christian Henson did some mangling to make a cool sound, at the point time-stamped in this Youtube link (at 11:11):
https://youtu.be/EPlN_ev6Qk4?t=671
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

very nice video!

I would say a whole lot of articulations in orchestral usage qualify as mangling the thing, since it's not a specific meaning. behind the bridge, vertical tremolo, overblowing/multiphonics... and there's a fair bit of activity in serious music today which manipulates things electronically, and then the whole electroacoustic trip.
'classical music' is not a highly meaningful label for exclusion through itself IME, since in general currency as we have it it's about as specific as 'mangle'. (Literally mangling, literally classical; not so much.)
as a specific label it applies to a pretty short period of western european concert music with its attendant type of instruments, which is pretty exclusive./pendantic

Be careful with those manglers! I saw a guy with no legs once ....
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

RunBeerRun wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:28 pm Be careful with those manglers! I saw a guy with no legs once ....
:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”