E-Phonic Invader 2 v1.0.11 (WIN / OSX)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Invader 2

e-crooner wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:02 pm The third one seems to have more bottom, or maybe it is just a bit louder?
I’ve now checked the levels, and you’re right in suspecting it to be a bit louder. 1 and 3 are about 1 LUFS louder than 2 :-)

e-crooner wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:14 pm Definitely, they are very close. Good to see that a 5-euro synth can rival a 100-euro synth :tu: And in the case of lush unison pads Invader probably wipes the floor with Legend :hihi:
Yes, very close, and importantly the quality is matched. In defence of Legend and System 72, I have used a very basic non-resonant saw octave pair patch in the example.

Once you go to town on resonance etc, Legend and System 72 will start to show their strengths. Invader isn’t a Moog emulation however, and so I kept to the basics to show the sound quality alone. I did crave for Legato however! Invader shows it is also a great mono-synth option.
Last edited by steb_osc on Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

Vortifex wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:25 pm Pretty hard to tell. I'm going with Legend, Invader and System 72.

You got it in one!

I think that the main difference was that Invader doesn’t exhibit phasing like the other two, and that is a big plus point when you want a strong consistent bassline in dance music. It allows you to sequence using the vst directly, rather than having to use a sampler.

I’ll add a few Moog style patches to that Invader soundset I started and get it uploaded to KVR.

Pretty generic sounds, not much of a test, really.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:34 pm Pretty generic sounds, not much of a test, really.
True, I’ll create a wider range of patches. It just struck me how big the Invader sound is. You can’t get the same sound out of Dune 3, for example. It wasn’t a test as such, it was just of personal interest and I thought I’d share it. All part of the community 👍

steb_osc wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:03 pm You can’t get the same sound out of Dune 3, for example.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks I needed a good laugh this morning. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:40 pm
steb_osc wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:03 pm You can’t get the same sound out of Dune 3, for example.
Maybe he meant Legend and confused it with another SA synth...

Invader can sound pretty impressive. I don't like such pads, but still, it can do them:
https://app.box.com/s/3afjlkyaico7rc7cn44vw7z4ie3ptnhh

There is a bit of noise in it, no idea where it comes from. There was no clipping in my DAW. Maybe from the filter, or the delay...

e-crooner wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:17 pm
Teksonik wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:40 pm
Maybe he meant Legend and confused it with another SA synth...

Invader can sound pretty impressive. I don't like such pads, but still, it can do them:
https://app.box.com/s/3afjlkyaico7rc7cn44vw7z4ie3ptnhh

There is a bit of noise in it, no idea where it comes from. There was no clipping in my DAW. Maybe from the filter, or the delay...
I was meaning that Dune 3 isn't able to get this sound out of it. I'm not meaning to knock Dune 3 however. https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/4mwaqcBD7vfMQD8P9

Nice pad work. Here's some pads stuff I did on Invader, just a quick play: https://soundcloud.com/raidovermoscow/play-invader2

steb_osc wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:28 pm I was meaning that Dune 3 isn't able to get this sound out of it. I'm not meaning to knock Dune 3 however. https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/4mwaqcBD7vfMQD8P9
How long have you owned DUNE 3 ? :?

With its 30 different filters many of which are analog modeled and two of which are:

• Pro 12 dB
Enhanced version of the Transistor ladder filter, with 12 dB attenuation per octave.
• Pro 24 dB
Enhanced version of the Transistor ladder filter, with 24 dB attenuation per octave.

It is more then capable of making such simple sounds or any pad sound Invader can make.

I like Invader a lot but let's be honest it's no DUNE 3. But that's fine it is designed to be simple and sound great so Invader succeeds quite well in those endeavors.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:21 pm
steb_osc wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:28 pm I was meaning that Dune 3 isn't able to get this sound out of it. I'm not meaning to knock Dune 3 however. <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/4mwaqcBD7vfMQD8P9</span>
How long have you owned DUNE 3 ? :?

With its 30 different filters many of which are analog modeled and two of which are:

• Pro 12 dB
Enhanced version of the Transistor ladder filter, with 12 dB attenuation per octave.
• Pro 24 dB
Enhanced version of the Transistor ladder filter, with 24 dB attenuation per octave.

It is more then capable of making such simple sounds or any pad sound Invader can make.

I like Invader a lot but let's be honest it's no DUNE 3. But that's fine it is designed to be simple and sound great so Invader succeeds quite well in those endeavors.
Thanks for the feedback and the information regarding the filters. My comment was purely with regards to the closeness of the sound between Invader and Legend/System 72 for that meaty Moog saw bass patch that I uploaded.

I wasn't suggesting that Invader 2 is better than Dune 3. Of course Dune 3 blows most, if not all, synths out of the water. 8)

I did explore Dune 3 further prior to your post in an attempt to replicate the Legend sound, but for me it just isn't quite there.

The harmonics from the way the two saws blend, just seems to act a bit differently (all Dune 3, repeated here):
https://soundcloud.com/raidovermoscow/mg-faceoff-dune-3

1. Legend, 2. Invader, 3. System 72 for reference: https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/4mwaqcBD7vfMQD8P9

steb_osc wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:50 am I did explore Dune 3 further prior to your post in an attempt to replicate the Legend sound, but for me it just isn't quite there.
That's a perfectly valid opinion.

But this statement is incorrect:
steb_osc wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:03 pm It just struck me how big the Invader sound is. You can’t get the same sound out of Dune 3, for example.
:wink:

Teksonik wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:17 pm
steb_osc wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:50 am I did explore Dune 3 further prior to your post in an attempt to replicate the Legend sound, but for me it just isn't quite there.
That's a perfectly valid opinion.

But this statement is incorrect:
steb_osc wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:03 pm It just struck me how big the Invader sound is. You can’t get the same sound out of Dune 3, for example.
:wink:
Haha ok, we can leave it there and get back to Invader 2 discussions again 👍

I dunno, maybe try getting the same sound out of Dune 3? Arguing with words seems useless when it's really an argument about sound.

What are the settings for the simple Moog patch, for a rough reference? If anyone disagrees they can simply remake the simple patch.

I personally haven't been able to get great thick, moogy type sounds out of Dune 3. I never use it for sounds like that because I just haven't found that to be it's strengths, so I definitely understand where the poster is coming from when saying Dune 3 can't do that type of sound.. If someone else can get those type of sounds out of it though, I'd find that super interesting! Let's hear it!

Are you trying to tell me you can't get Moogy type sounds out of a synth with Moog style Ladder Filters, 24 Oscillators, and 16 simultaneous Filters to work with?

Just go through the Factory Bass patches like "The Original KS" for a start. Check out the Basses in the DUNE 2 Factory bank as well.

If someone prefers Invader 2 for those types of sound then they should just use it. No need to put down any other synth. :wink:

For me, Invader is comparable with Diva (sound and character). Dune 3 is for sounds that is lighter. Something between Hive and Diva for analogish types of sound.

Anyway, as I'm mainly using Bitwig in Linux/Mac M1 now and neither Dune 3 or Invader has Linux or native M1 VSTi version, I'm using Diva and Hive more now. I hope the developer would consider a Linux port ;)

Return to “Instruments”