E-Phonic Invader 2 v1.0.11 (WIN / OSX)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Invader 2

Regarding comparing sounds (like the bass patch in this thread) on various synths, I suppose it would make sense to define a certain parameter configuration first (e.g. 2 osc's, 1 octave apart, saw on each, 24db LP, etc.).

EnGee wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:51 am
Developers are free to support any OS they like, but I have deep respect for those who support Linux and I will support them first :)
+1

Could we keep this thread on topic, please? I understand that occasionally you'd want to compare a synth to another synth, but please don't turn this into another war about operating systems.

e-crooner wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:04 pm Regarding comparing sounds (like the bass patch in this thread) on various synths, I suppose it would make sense to define a certain parameter configuration first (e.g. 2 osc's, 1 octave apart, saw on each, 24db LP, etc.).
Hi :) You're right. Here are the settings that I've used. Just two saw waves (an octave apart), and a triangle for a bit of sub.

Here's a recording using the basic patch from the screenshot: :violin:
https://app.box.com/s/22ru3lyqfz0c3r7l3s3fsatapi4x63me
Last edited by steb_osc on Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:55 am, edited 5 times in total.

Teksonik wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:36 am
How could anyone NOT recreate a simple Moog patch on a synth that has Moog style Filters and top notch Oscillators ?

Five minutes of work.....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LuF5On ... sp=sharing
I have to be honest and say that that patch doesn't sound like a Moog to me. :phones:

Can you open up the filter and just expose the open oscs? I have been unable to create the wonderful clean, solid Moog sound when using Dune 3, and to be fair it's not what I would ever use it for. Synapse Legend is available for a reason and sounds amazing.

My surprise with Invader 2 was because I expected it to behave nearer to Dune 3, Spire, my Nord Lead 4 etc. and it turns out it is an excellent mono synth. It just needs legato now :-)

steb_osc wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:09 pm I have to be honest and say that that patch doesn't sound like a Moog to me. :phones:
I have to be honest and say your Invader example sounds weak to me. :shrug:

My example was designed to sound big since you claimed a synth with Moog Style Filters and more top notch Oscs than you'd need for such simple patches couldn't sound big.

But then I have absolutely no use for Moog basses. I got bored of such sounds decades ago.

To me the Moog Bass is to synthesizer sounds what un-buttered toast is to gourmet cuisine.

I own The Legend and while it does a fantastic job at Moog sounds I've only used it in a project once a long time ago and only rarely ever call it up to have a play.

Let's just agree to say that you like Invader 2 for Moog sounds better than DUNE 3 even though D3 is from the same developer as The Legend and leave it at that. To say DUNE 3 is not capable of "big" sounds is just nonsense in my opinion based on years of use hence my response to your statement.

I could post DUNE 3 VA patches that Invader 2 could never hope to make but I won't because it wouldn't be fair to Invader and in the end it shouldn't be about comparing synths but taking each one on its own merits.

Let's just focus on Invader 2 which is a great sounding synth but I do prefer more complex synths and sounds.

I'll keep an eye on the development of Invader and hope it grows in time. If not I've had fun playing it, have made a few patches which is always fun for me so I've more than gotten my money's worth. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

steb_osc wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:09 pm It just needs legato now :-)
Doesn't it have legato via the dropdown under glide? Sorry if this was covered.

steb_osc wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:07 pm
e-crooner wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:04 pm Regarding comparing sounds (like the bass patch in this thread) on various synths, I suppose it would make sense to define a certain parameter configuration first (e.g. 2 osc's, 1 octave apart, saw on each, 24db LP, etc.).
Hi :) You're right. Here are the settings that I've used. Just two saw waves (an octave apart), and a triangle for a bit of sub.

https://sndup.net/54wn
Not sure what it sounded like because I didn't want to download anything from that domain that I have never heard of.
But judging from your screenshot of the Invader GUI it should sound like this, more or less. But which one is Invader? 8)

https://app.box.com/s/6ty3fdsrnoex7r8q2lr03o1xopss61na

e-crooner wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:49 pm
steb_osc wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:07 pm

https://sndup.net/54wn
Not sure what it sounded like because I didn't want to download anything from that domain that I have never heard of.
But judging from your screenshot of the Invader GUI it should sound like this, more or less. But which one is Invader? 8)

https://app.box.com/s/6ty3fdsrnoex7r8q2lr03o1xopss61na
What were the synths? Invader, Dune 3 and one other?

Dune 3 was the last one? It sounds different.

Teksonik wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:44 pm My example was designed to sound big since you claimed a synth with Moog Style Filters and more top notch Oscs than you'd need for such simple patches couldn't sound big.

To say DUNE 3 is not capable of "big" sounds is just nonsense in my opinion based on years of use hence my response to your statement.
I'd like to defuse this a little so that the topic can get back on track, as we are all passionate about synths.

I think that the reason why our points of view differed was due to a misunderstanding. I was arguing that Dune 3 doesn't sound as similar* to a Moog as Invader does with my basic patch. I was surprised that Invader was so close to Legend and System 72 which are excellent emulations. The way those oscillators blend together is definitely music to my ears.

(*and why should it? Dune 3 isn't meant to be a Moog emulation.)

I'm a massive Moog fan, but can't yet quite justify buying a Sub 37 because really I like to keep the sounds quite simple. Ironically buying a Moog almost seems like overkill for my needs, and this fuels my interest in 'Moog' VSTs. Perhaps I'll get the Behringer Model D copy at some point :-)

In my statement however I did make a reference to the 'big' sound of Invader, and I can see now that it will have given the impression that I meant (conversely) that Dune 3 couldn't make 'big' sounds. This of course isn't true. Dune 3 can do big, big, and bigger. It's a beast of a synth.
Teksonik wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:44 pm I'll keep an eye on the development of Invader and hope it grows in time. If not I've had fun playing it, have made a few patches which is always fun for me so I've more than gotten my money's worth. :tu:
Oh yes! :harp: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:
Last edited by steb_osc on Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mjudge55 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:56 pm
steb_osc wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:09 pm It just needs legato now :-)
Doesn't it have legato via the dropdown under glide? Sorry if this was covered.
Thanks! I've missed that. I'll be giving it a go as soon as I finish for today.

steb_osc wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:54 pm What were the synths? Invader, Dune 3 and one other?

Sorry, I had not tried hard enough with number three yesterday. I have updated the audio file meanwhile...

It's Invader, Retrologue 2 and Sylenth1, in that order :wink:

e-crooner wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:27 pm
steb_osc wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:54 pm What were the synths? Invader, Dune 3 and one other?

Sorry, I had not tried hard enough with number three yesterday. I have updated the audio file meanwhile...

Nice! I've not tried Retrologue 2 before, and have just installed the demo now :-)

Here's my Invader 2 recording from a safer source:

steb_osc wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:58 pm
e-crooner wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:27 pm

Nice! I've not tried Retrologue 2 before, and have just installed the demo now :-)

Here's my Invader 2 recording from a safer source:
Sounds the same, I copied your screenshot very thoroughly :wink:

Since you have installed R2, here is the bass patch I used, just drop it into the R2 presets folder.

R2 sounds a bit unspectacular at first, but once you know it inside out, it is pretty capable :) The best 10 dollars I ever invested re music software :hihi:

https://app.box.com/s/qmemsmopzi22c9b1zxinci7g72eevq6l

steb_osc wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:09 pmI have to be honest and say that that patch doesn't sound like a Moog to me. :phones:
You're right, the bottom end is intact (and huge) despite the use of resonance. It's so much better than any Moog could ever hope to manage. Your little riff sounded comparatively flat and boring, this has real balls.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Instruments”