A Guide to switching to Linux as your music production OS (If you really want to!)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks, I wish somebody could just make tutorial like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6LuvdDEqCA

really like and use Linux Mint, I don't want to use anything else, it's the only Linux distribution I can digest, this thread have premise to be a an actual guide, but it's just an list of stuff that is available, there's no guides to instal some of this stuff, can anyone actually make a guide for someone starting with Linux Mint/Ubuntu from scratch, how to install and configure all of this stuff, JACK, Wine, yabridge and all of that?

Passing Bye wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:51 am Anyone have experience with AudioGridder on Linux?
I have. It works as client vst3.

Kott wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:36 am
Passing Bye wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:51 am Anyone have experience with AudioGridder on Linux?
I have. It works as client vst3.
Awesome, it might be just the ticket for running all those Windows plug-ins. :tu:

How much do you spend tweaking & fixing the system vs. music production? This is not intended to offend, but I'm authentically interested, as I'm currently using dual boot system myself (Windows for all music related stuff).

coolblinger wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:01 pm There's a Usage section in the readme that guides you through the whole setup process. Let me know if you need more help.
Finally managed to get it working using this tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOH20CV6yhE

tuomoko wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:01 pm How much do you spend tweaking & fixing the system vs. music production?
When I started using Linux for music, there was a fair bit of messing about just figuring out what Jack is, how to install and configure various applications and get them talking to each other and so on. This was a decade ago when it was harder than it is now! I probably spent 10-20 hours over the course of two months figuring things out. But now I've got it set up, there's virtually no time on tweaking/fixing (unless you count things like upgrading Reaper to the latest version and trying out new plugins, no limit to how much time you could spend on the latter!). As with anything new, you just need to get past that initial learning curve.

tuomoko wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:01 pm How much do you spend tweaking & fixing the system vs. music production? This is not intended to offend, but I'm authentically interested, as I'm currently using dual boot system myself (Windows for all music related stuff).
I keep multiple linux systems on several drives, and more on bootable external drives,
and some Puppy Linux cd/dvd's with their save-files on the root of hard-drives.
I have Mixbus 6 and Bitwig 8-track in /opt and reaper in a numbered folder (like .629)
for easy launching. I start audio apps from terminals, to glean hints from the outputs.

I rarely tweak settings, set them once, and play. When I have U-he, Kontakt, Reaktor, IK, BlueCat, KV331 and 32-bit plugin access in working order, I no longer do major updates.
The linux core audio apps are quite old, still updated, with stable versions in conservative distros, and often more recent versions in custom distros, and the latest sometimes in an author's PPA, or KX-Studio repository.

With multiple systems at hand, I can safely experiment in one or two, with new wine versions, kernels, new releases, and some bargain I've lucked upon etc.

The linvst and yabridge vst plugin wrappers, are the recent additions that take some of my attention, but the authors have thorough documentation and forum comments to make their setup and use quite easy.

I won't dual-boot on a shared drive, after some bad run-ins with poor system coding. Filesystems and boot protocols are the last things I want to mess with or study. I don't trust any filesystem or boot utility, let alone mingling them on a single entity. When $$$ is OK, you can probably pop the side off your box, and add an SSD or two, or install one in a $35 usb-sata case, and use the computers 'early-boot system to choose drives. (I have a Sabrent case with a hinged/removable lid, so it's easy to swap out SSDs or sata drives).
Cheers

tuomoko wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:01 pm How much do you spend tweaking ... stuff ...).
PS Welcome to the forums! I always learn things, and have a good time while at it :hyper:

tuomoko wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:01 pm How much do you spend tweaking & fixing the system vs. music production? This is not intended to offend, but I'm authentically interested, as I'm currently using dual boot system myself (Windows for all music related stuff).
I'm still in the dabbling stage but can say that with my current install I haven't had to change one config file or even fire up the console to get a fully working audio workstation; ubuntustudio with Reaper as my main DAW. Interface and keyboard just worked. I'm sure when I tackle the trickier windows plugs like the NI ones then I may have to but that's 'extras', native plugs all just work fine. Things have changed a *lot* over the last ten years or so. :)

Is absence of proper audio drivers actually real bottleneck of Linux for audio? Compared to same thing on Windows running Bitwig? Seem like I just get better performance on Windows with proper ASIO drivers (Mbox 2 Mini, Audigy 2)... Is there anything out there that performs the same on Linux, as it does on Windows?
Last edited by Passing Bye on Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Passing Bye wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:33 pm Is absence of proper audio drivers actually real bottleneck of Linux for audio? Compared to same thing on Windows running Bitwig? Seem like I just get better performance on Windows with proper ASIO drivers (Mbox 2 Mini, Audigy 2)... Is there anything out there that performs the same on Linux, as it does on Windows?
Linux has 'proper audio drivers'. If you're using a class compliant USB audio interface then that should just work. Unlike on Windows you don't need special manufacturer specific drivers to use it for pro audio.

coolblinger wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:37 pm
Passing Bye wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:33 pm Is absence of proper audio drivers actually real bottleneck of Linux for audio? Compared to same thing on Windows running Bitwig? Seem like I just get better performance on Windows with proper ASIO drivers (Mbox 2 Mini, Audigy 2)... Is there anything out there that performs the same on Linux, as it does on Windows?
Linux has 'proper audio drivers'. If you're using a class compliant USB audio interface then that should just work. Unlike on Windows you don't need special manufacturer specific drivers to use it for pro audio.
So RME in vanilla class compliant mode should perform the same on Linux as with their manufactured driver on both macOS and Windows?

Passing Bye wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:03 pm
So RME in vanilla class compliant mode should perform the same on Linux as with their manufactured driver on both macOS and Windows?
If the class compliant mode wasn't intentionally made worse for whatever reason or lacks features, yes.

coolblinger wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:22 pm
Passing Bye wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:03 pm
If the class compliant mode wasn't intentionally made worse for whatever reason or lacks features, yes.
So you are saying that drivers RME writes for their devices is on the same level as vanilla class compliant one on macOS and Linux?

Passing Bye wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:36 pm So you are saying that drivers RME writes for their devices is on the same level as vanilla class compliant one on macOS and Linux?
I'm not saying that. I don't have any experience with RME audio interfaces, so I don't know how they implemented their class compliant mode.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”