Dead Duck Reducktion

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reducktion

Try setting them to 1/8, should be "just right".
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Teksonik wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:07 pm Thanks, I didn't even notice the # in front of each line. So making a copy of the default theme and removing the # works while preserving the default. :tu:

I like more muted themes for long periods of viewing as I find red a bit harsh on my eyes:

Reducktion Default Blue.png

This is perfect. Where can I find it?
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Teksonik wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:07 pmI like more muted themes for long periods of viewing as I find red a bit harsh on my eyes:
Red should be the least harsh on your eyes as it is the lowest energy light in the visible spectrum. Blue, OTOH, is the highest energy light and should be the most harsh. That's why blue light is bad late at night and why red light doesn't affect your night vision.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Teksonik wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:10 pm Hmmm it seems like version 1.0.0.1 has changed the SEQ rate value in the patches I posted earlier. They all load with the rate way too fast now so I've edited them. If you downloaded them before please download again:

EDIT: Well crap now I'm getting the SEQ running way too slow. Not sure what the heck is going on. Can someone tell me if the patches I uploaded earlier are playing too fast or sound about right or ?

Patches set to 1/16 were playing way too fast so I changed them to 1/4 and now they're playing way too slow. I have to figure out what's happening. It might be DAW dependent but they're all set to 120BPM. :?
None of the changes in 1.0.0.1 should affect the playback rate of the sequencer and I've confirmed this by playing 'AR Big Arp Tek' in both 1.0.0.0 and 1.0.0.1; they both play at the same rate. I've also confirmed that the sequencer plays at the correct rate; in this case a 16-step sequence at 1/16 completes in a single bar.

A 1/16 rate at 120bpm is quite fast for an ARP, could it be your tempo was set to a lower rate when your designed the patch?

Either way they're still a great set of presets, thanks for making them available. :tu:

Teksonik wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:07 pm Thanks, I didn't even notice the # in front of each line. So making a copy of the default theme and removing the # works while preserving the default. :tu:

I like more muted themes for long periods of viewing as I find red a bit harsh on my eyes:

Reducktion Default Blue.png
Is it the Novation Peak ?? :tu:

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:20 pmUsing the default sound no filter. The lower bass register is thick and beefey ala The Legend.
It sounds almost identical to The Legend to me. Maybe not quite as much in the low end but it's very close. It's hard to tell whether GR-8 has more bottom end than either, or if it just sounds that way because it's got a less top end content. It took me a while to get the levels right, Reduktion is quieter than the others, but once I got it balanced, I thought it was the least beefy of the three. I tried it against a few other synths and it was actually closest to Obsession, so more of a Oberheim sound than a Moog.
Setting up a FM bell chime the very high registers notes are crystal clear. ( Most freeware and some payware are not )
I can't even see how to do FM. There are no destinations in the Mod Matrix for any of the FM settings
so all you can do is apply a fixed level of modulation from Ratio 1 + 2. That's not very handy at all.
The 24db filter is nice and juicy and you can get deep into resonance with out it squeezing in controllably.
That's more Oberheim-like behaviour. And I am starting to appreciate this synth more and more, now that I've had a chance to play around with it a little.
The decay portion of the envelopes feels right to me ala Spire, Element 2 or Uno lx.
It's definitely very exponential.
It is all one one page and I can read it.
I find it is taking some getting used to. I don't know why some things get knobs and other things are just digital values. It seems quite arbitrary to me and I'm not really enjoying it. I'm sure I'd get used to it, though, it's just a bit of a learning curve. I also find all three GUIs very uninspiring.
There are companies asking $50.00 or more for synth that do not have these qualities
Yeah, but there are also plenty of devs, like FBM and Cherry Audio, who are doing it for much less, too. I am definitely starting to see the appeal, though, but I still prefer GR-8, I think. It's just a bit more polished all 'round.

BONES wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:33 am
Teksonik wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:07 pmI like more muted themes for long periods of viewing as I find red a bit harsh on my eyes:
Red should be the least harsh on your eyes as it is the lowest energy light in the visible spectrum. Blue, OTOH, is the highest energy light and should be the most harsh. That's why blue light is bad late at night and why red light doesn't affect your night vision.
OT but red light is used at night due to the lack of response of rhodopsin in rods rather than its characteristic energy. In the blue range higher frequencies can have a smaller effect than lower frequency.

The late night thing is related to the effects of light on melatonin production - blue light suppresses it. It's frequency related rather than energy as I remember. Melatonin regulates drowsiness / alertness.

I tried Reducktion deeper... so so good... it really need more presets to show its real potential. I like the Drive and the eq, nice addition to Deducktion. Thanks Teksonik, you did nice sequences :) (also could you share your Peak theme ? ;) )

I tried to midi map Reducktion with my controller on ableton but it doesn't work....
it works with Deducktion so I suppose it's something you'll add to Reducktion

swatwork wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:35 am None of the changes in 1.0.0.1 should affect the playback rate of the sequencer and I've confirmed this by playing 'AR Big Arp Tek' in both 1.0.0.0 and 1.0.0.1; they both play at the same rate. I've also confirmed that the sequencer plays at the correct rate; in this case a 16-step sequence at 1/16 completes in a single bar.
A 1/16 rate at 120bpm is quite fast for an ARP, could it be your tempo was set to a lower rate when your designed the patch?
I'm not sure what's going on. I loaded up the original patches made with the older version and they are set to 1/16 which is way too fast. I remember thinking that 1/16 was too fast for the resulting speed so either I did something wrong or there was a glitch somewhere. I'm going to try on my studio system today which is still running the old version with the original patches and see if I can figure out what's going on.
swatwork wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:35 amEither way they're still a great set of presets, thanks for making them available. :tu:
You're welcome and thanks for the kind words. I'll work on some more today. :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Clem4 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:55 pmI tried to midi map Reducktion with my controller on ableton but it doesn't work....
it works with Deducktion so I suppose it's something you'll add to Reducktion
It should work with Reducktion, it has pretty much the same MIDI Learn system I implemented in Deducktion. Can you provide more information about what wasn't working.

Edit: just a reminder that MIDI controllers don't currently work with the sequencer, but normal playback should be able to receive pitch-bend, mod wheel, etc, and anything you've assigned through MIDI learn.
Last edited by swatwork on Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:13 am This is perfect. Where can I find it?
Here you go........ :)

Default Tek 01.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

This audio clip is from my studio system running the old version of Reducktion and the SEQ is shown as set to 1/16 at a host rate of 120 BPM.

Reducktion Test 1

That sounds like I intended it to sound so I'm not sure why it was playing so fast yesterday on this system. I'm going to update the studio to 1.0.0.1 and try the patches again. It must have been a glitch in the system or I'm just going nuts.

I'll go through them and fix anything if needed, add some more, and then re-upload in awhile. :)

Teksonik wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:25 pm
Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:13 am This is perfect. Where can I find it?
Here you go........ :)

Default Tek 01.zip
Awesome Thank you :D
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

My pleasure. I didn't do much just tweak a couple of colors. Respect to swatwork for allowing us to tweak the themes. :)

Anyway I updated to 1.0.0.1 on the studio system and everything is working fine. Not sure what happened yesterday. Perhaps I had a senior moment or a brain fart both of which are fairly common occurrences these days. :?

Here's a few more patches up to 22 now also level matched and tweaked the others a bit:

Reducktion Teksonik 03.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reducktion has been updated to version 1.0.0.2

This fixes a problem with audio overloads in the 32-bit version.

Download from KVR: https://static.kvraudio.com/files/2274/ ... _0_0_2.zip

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”