Your fave MIDI fx, arp, mapper, mangler, generator, chorder, controller, utility. VST or MFX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Silo, a granular effect by Unfiltered Audio, can be used as a generative sequencer if you feed it any audio at a frequency of C (or anything else if you don't care) and then feed midi chords to Silo. It will then transpose each grain it generates with a random note from the midi input if you disable "Bypass Midi In" in the settings.
So more grains = more "notes" being played etc.
I currently have the output of my Neutron analog synth feeding into Silo and "play" a single C to the Neutron. Silo on the other hand is getting chords from Scaler 2 while I can twiddle the knobs of the Neutron...
Quite interesting to "play" live audio generatively this way :-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

I often wonder if MIDI routing in DAWs could be made easier. Having multiple clips on top of each other and routing one to the software instrument and another to an effect like SILO behind it. MIDI triggering effects will be much more common soon, but routing notes from another track works ok in some DAWs and is a PITA in others.

I'll definitely check SILO out!

jules99 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:10 am I often wonder if MIDI routing in DAWs could be made easier. Having multiple clips on top of each other and routing one to the software instrument and another to an effect like SILO behind it. MIDI triggering effects will be much more common soon, but routing notes from another track works ok in some DAWs and is a PITA in others.

I'll definitely check SILO out!
Reaper’s the best from the ones I’ve used, lets you route from one track to multiple other tracks and define whether you send audio and/or MIDI to and from named MIDI channels (or just ALL). It helps that every track is a hybrid track and can be MIDI, Media, Audio etc.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

In Bitwig it's very flexible.
I had notes from the track going into the "Hardware Instrument" device (sends out Midi to the Neutron and receives it's Audio back) on an instrument track.
Since Scaler 2 blocks audio, I had to put it into a "Note FX Layer" device after the HW-Instrument to let the audio through and after that I put Silo.
There also is the "Note Receiver" device that allows you to tap Midi from anywhere in the project, so in the worst case, one would need two Midi tracks and route the second one directly to Silo.

Since Bitwig does allow any factory or plugin device in any order, it's supercool for generative structures.
I haven't found any other DAW that is as flexible and at the same time as easy to use.

Only node based tools are more flexible, but at the cost of a less intuitive structure for making music (as much as I like them for things like 3D-graphics).

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

Not for me, I use both and Reaper is way easier e.g. a track fed from multiple sources that sends to multiple sources just by dragging from the routes box rather than needing to use pretend instruments.

Are you safe?

ThomasHelzle wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:56 pm Silo, a granular effect by Unfiltered Audio, can be used as a generative sequencer if you feed it any audio at a frequency of C (or anything else if you don't care) and then feed midi chords to Silo. It will then transpose each grain it generates with a random note from the midi input if you disable "Bypass Midi In" in the settings.
I currently have the output of my Neutron analog synth feeding into Silo and "play" a single C to the Neutron. Silo on the other hand is getting chords from Scaler 2 while I can twiddle the knobs of the Neutron...

Cheers,

Tom
Really didn't think of that, but it's really cool, thanks for the tip.

Edit: I don't think I'm doing it right..

ThomasHelzle wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:56 pm Silo, a granular effect by Unfiltered Audio, can be used as a generative sequencer if you feed it any audio at a frequency of C (or anything else if you don't care) and then feed midi chords to Silo. It will then transpose each grain it generates with a random note from the midi input if you disable "Bypass Midi In" in the settings.

Cheers,

Tom
Hi Tom,

Thanks for posting this! I've been totally mesmerized by what this can do! It is amazing that it can mask the original sound audio content and add create new surprising musical sounds. I never want to stop experimenting with this. So much variety and so many gems. My favorite thing is just to play my keyboard, sometimes single note melodies and sometimes chords.

Ha - cool you guys dig it! :-)

@gondii: did you get it working?
Will mostly depend on your DAW and if and how you can route Midi to an effect.

Cheers,

Tom

ThomasHelzle wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:37 pm @gondii: did you get it working?
Will mostly depend on your DAW and if and how you can route Midi to an effect.
Yeah I just re-read your post a bit more carefully and apparently I get an "F" for reading comprehension. I didn't deactivate "Bypass Midi In". It's working now, time to experiment.

Edit: OK, I'm getting awesome results. Scaler into Midi into Silo with some Audio. It doesn't appear to be very necessary for the audio to be in just C, but I guess that really depends on what you're trying to achieve. Will try with my hardware synth later, but this is a lot of fun and creative. Thanks.

It doesn't appear to work with midi synths going into silo.

:tu: Great you got it working.
Depending on your daw, you may have to see how you get different Midi to Silo than the midi synth if that is what you want.
Many instruments also block midi (for instance Absynth), in that case you have to find out how to get the midi "around" the synth.
In Bitwig you can do that by putting the synth into an instrument layer device.
Or placing a note receiver in front of Silo and grab the Midi from some non-blocking device (or some dummy) in front of the blocking synth.
This works as long as it doesn't create a feedback loop.

Cheers,

Tom

ThomasHelzle wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:05 am In Bitwig it's very flexible.
I had notes from the track going into the "Hardware Instrument" device (sends out Midi to the Neutron and receives it's Audio back) on an instrument track.
Since Scaler 2 blocks audio, I had to put it into a "Note FX Layer" device after the HW-Instrument to let the audio through and after that I put Silo.
There also is the "Note Receiver" device that allows you to tap Midi from anywhere in the project, so in the worst case, one would need two Midi tracks and route the second one directly to Silo.

Cheers,

Tom
You can still do it in one track in Bitwig... cause you could have a midi clip with different midi notes on different channels. Then use the Note Receiver and Channel Filter/Mapper devices to send different notes from the single clip to different devices in that tracks signal chain.

FYI Harvest released update 1.2 https://harvestplugin.com/

1.2.0 Patch Notes - 08/04/2021

Added Drag and Drop to VST and AU
Harvest now recalls its state when host's project file is saved and loaded
Bars knob now automatically adjusts the viewable area to fit
Added Sus2 Chord
"Minor" scale now refers to Natural Minor rather than Harmonic Minor
Note Selection now defaults to C Major scale
Rest Knob Level now defaults to 12 o'clock
Fixed graphical bugs when selecting preset note selections

(I bought through Plugin Boutique, who don't have 1.2 up yet. 1.1 was late to show up there as well)
Too many DAWs and plug-ins

Kind of fun free web based object node MIDI sequencer and toolkit
https://www.midinous.com/

Benn Jordan is doing a live stream using it at the moment
https://youtu.be/Koq0Evfar7w

Are you safe?

Return to “Effects”