Abyss released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Abyss

Also Peter... can I perhaps tempt you to join the VI-Control forum as well. There’s a subset of users there who are real synthheads, and there are some cool conversations going on. I’d say most of the members there are using synths for hybrid scoring, underscoring or some other “cinematic” use case, which I feel Abyss could really help fill a “gap”.

I would love for you to chime in there occassionally, and I don’t think I have seen the Tracktion people on there (yet). I’m a big Biotek2 and f.’em user by the way, and am on the verge of purchasing your synth.

Thread here:

https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... st-4865618

doctoremmet wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:05 am To actual users & demo testers: I don’t have time to demo this before the 40% discount expires tomorrow. Any other synths you can think of this one resembles a bit “soundwise”? I am having a hard time “pinning this one down”, which -to be honest- is a GOOD thing Peter! ;-)
Lunaris by Luftrum is the only thing that comes to mind. It is an ambient/pad/drone machine for Kontakt.
Duality without regard to physicality

Ah thanks! I’ve also heard users compare it to Iris and Pigments - as a very broad “ballpark” sonic realm. I figure it mainly excels at pads and noisy drones, and that “VHS” vapourwave type of stuff. Or are there some more percussive “plucky” patches in there as well? Are the envelopes fast enough / the filter snappy enough to sculpt some of those types of sounds as well?

Both Iris and Pigments are a decent sonic comparison, although Iris (how I wish iZotope would keep it updated and make it a priority) reminds me more of Parawave Rapid and Pigments falls more squarely into the Phaseplant/Serum arena. Abyss can do percussive and plucky, but not like Chromaphone 3, for example. I still haven't been able to get the time to really dig into it, but, so far, the GUI has been the main selling point for me and seems like a solid value proposition. In addition, I have Spacecraft and there is some overlap, although I don't feel like either one could/should replace the other, if that makes any sense?

Very similar thoughts here.

That makes total sense. I purchased ABYSS yesterday and I must say that Dawesome and Tracktion seem to have struck gold again with this release. It’s fresh. It’s capable. Has a beautiful AND functional UI. And does what it sets out to do. No false promises. Not one that is even ATTEMPTING to win some kind of specs war. Very much a synthesizer that tries to get out of the way of the user, which brings a weird kind of... focus? The MPE capabilities are also very much “designed in” and part of this instrument’s core DNA, which is always a good thing. I’d argue any and all owners of a Roli Seaboard, Linnstrument etc are going to enjoy this one. But if you don’t own an MPE capable controller, simply assign some CCs to your modwheel, a fader, aftertouch or a knob and you’re golden as well.

Cool and nifty, I am happy I stumbled across this one & thanks to all pioneers and early adopters on here for the guidance!

This is what you Germans call “ein Geheimtipp!” right? :clap:

all I can say is that I love it. it has its own character and its very playable.
( all I want more is loading/analyzing user wavs...:)
working now on scoring a batch of *romanian silent movies and this is one of the friends
on ambient/drones/harmonic evolving background scapes.

thanks Peter!

*will be available for free in sept this year.
Last edited by wakax on Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yes, underscoring films seems to be one of the very obvious use cases for ABYSS. Would love to hear / see some examples!

I'm finding it nice for making plucks, too. One can quickly explore all sorts of timbres.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Is anyone interested in a review of Abyss by awarded composer Don Bodin on his channel SampleLibraryReview?
If so please leave a comment here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CotkQE ... raryReview
In this weekly Deal Compressor Show he briefly mentions Abyss and says he will do review of Abyss if people are interested.

Do send a copy to Simeon Amburgey as well.

Many things what born in Abyss is quite understandable how to obtain thru some plugs chains\tricks (and some good reverb will be main thing here). But, if someone do not want to spent bunch of time for this (or extra money for additional plugs, some of which can be quite costly), Abyss is very good option. Also need note pretty successful selected waveforms (timbres) for cinematic genre.
Well, as for others, who like to do everything from scratch, can be found Abyss like machine for inspiration, with its not only timbre but also harmonic variations (what it became for me for example).
And the price (at the moment) I think is worth it.

c_voltage wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:38 pm Many things what born in Abyss is quite understandable how to obtain thru some plugs chains\tricks (and some good reverb will be main thing here). But, if someone do not want to spent bunch of time for this (or extra money for additional plugs, some of which can be quite costly), Abyss is very good option. Also need note pretty successful selected waveforms (timbres) for cinematic genre.
Well, as for others, who like to do everything from scratch, can be found Abyss like machine for inspiration, with its not only timbre but also harmonic variations (what it became for me for example).
And the price (at the moment) I think is worth it.
the presets are quite excellent in Abyss, but i always search first for the INIT...

a reverb does always do the trick... by the way... but even if you don't use the build in FX of Abyss, nor do place any FX plugins afterwards, you can create, especially with MPE, great sounds, that aren't necessarely cinematic, although can be, it is quite capable of producing a broad range of sounds.
and sounds within one patch...

you are quite right with harmonic variations, although you can discuss that timbre is harmonic variation, but o well, that is merely academic??? or not.. but i get your point..

there is enough playground to create unique sounds with it.

yes, you can achieve a lot, with making many steps to create a sound, which i also do..

but still, the workflow, and the special approach of Abyss, gives you other results.

a small showcase, totally repetitive, with one instance of Abyss, MPE patch from scratch, drums produced by Noise Engineering Modules/RE's... simple, effective? and now i hear it has some cinematic quality, mainly because of the drums, i believe...

https://soundcloud.com/user-873737123/iterate-the-gods

doctoremmet wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:54 am Ah thanks! I’ve also heard users compare it to Iris and Pigments - as a very broad “ballpark” sonic realm. I figure it mainly excels at pads and noisy drones, and that “VHS” vapourwave type of stuff. Or are there some more percussive “plucky” patches in there as well? Are the envelopes fast enough / the filter snappy enough to sculpt some of those types of sounds as well?
now i get the comparison; because i focused to much on Iris 2 and Pigments 3, which are totally different beasts. but indeed Abyss has indeed a very broad bandwith of sonic realms.
as Iris 2 and Pigments 3. but all in there on way.

as i make my own presets, and never (really) discover the presets that came with a synth, i can't compare them on preset level. only how i work, personally with them.

i have made percussive like stuff in Pigments 3, strangely, but mainly i tend to use, what do i use to make rythmic/percussive like stuff? ad hoc. mostly..

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day; give him a fishing pole and...

Abyss is the fishing pole! 😀

Return to “Instruments”