Motorola DSP563xx Emulator (BETA) (Access Virus, Nord Lead, Waldorf MW...)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dip200 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:21 pm Intel 9900K @4700 Mhz on all cores
6.25 Init Patch, 5note Chord x4, Filter envelope, All LFOs modulating their

Real Time off, playing back Midi Notes via Sequencer, Asio Guard On (minimum), 256 Asio latency
8.5% Yep, higher than real-time playing. However this % does not change whatever I do, including turning on 16 unison voices (with the 5note chord from before), phaser and reverb.I switched back to real time with this full blown patch and CPU% went up. It was fluctuating with peaks at 11%. Still amazing to me :tu:
With 8 real cores you'd expect maybe 12.5% system usage with something using 100% of one core. But that's cool it's usually not coming anywhere close to maxing out a single core, even with a full DSP load. Did you check your numbers in the MIPS test tool?

I don't suppose anyone, running an Apple M1, has done any testing?

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:51 pm Yes they did .
I think the hardest part for the nord modular will be the editor ( if when they will ever do one )
It requires a separate midi bus for handling sysex data .
Happy G1 rack owner since 2003 :tu:
I also used to have an G1 with the voice-expansion board, making it a 8 DSP Monster. That's the one hardware synth I regret selling. When I sold it, I figured a similar modular synth would happen very soon in VST-land anyway. That was 9 years ago and we are still not really there. Softube is not polyphonic, VCV is still not VST and Voltage Modular lacks in sound quality.

Were you active on the Nord-Modular Mailing List by any chance? That were really great times back then.

A Nord Modular emulator would be fantastic. I don't think the editor is that much of a problem, since it really only uses MIDI. You could define a dedicated virtual MIDI-port just for the synth-communication (which was all done with SysEx).

What was a problem back then was the timing of the MIDI-ports because of large chunks of that SysEx and even some hardware MIDI-interfaces just didn't work. I think that would be much easier today when the MIDI-port is virtual and all software anyway.

Though it might be difficult to get the editor to run. It was a 16-bit Windows and to make it run in Windows 7 I already needed to tweak the compability settings. It did work though. Haven't tried it on later Windows versions because I sold the Modular in the meantime.

But if anybody is ever going to do a 4 DSP emulator to run the Nord Modular, I'm all for it. I'd be glad to help with testing and throw some of my old patches at it.

numerouno wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:39 pm In relation to Waldorf:

Stefan Stenzel who wrote the code for the Waldorfs has already offered his support and assistance with the project, you can see his offer in our first KVR thread, and we have conversed with him since
Great news! To be honest, I'm much more keen on a Microwave II/XT than on the Virus.

I used to have an XT and a Microwave PC. That was a complete Microwave II in 5,25" frame minus the D/A-conversion which was done by a Terratec soundcard. The MWPC was distributed by Terratec and I believe was technically their product as well. It did run with the original firmware although you needed a special loader software which also served as the GUI. I sold the XT because I was happy with the version residing in my PC-housing. Unfortunately Terratec vanished from the market and the thing became obsolete. I still have it, it serves as a kind of an expensive rack-plate in my PC-rig.

I still have some very nice patches that I would love to run again some day. I was already thinking about buying a Microwave II again. Having that in software will be a blast.

As far as the current emulator goes:
It runs great on my system. Around 6% on my i7 8700k running at 4.700 MHz. I'm using Cubase 11 and the most recent Windows 11 Beta.

The Virus B emulation runs glitch free and stable, with a Virus C Rom I get spikes every once in a while. Those spikes seem to correlate to the amount of voices played. Somehow if I reach some kind of limit the CPU would hit 100% and audio output is muted. That doesn't happen with a Virus B ROM though.

Garrincha wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:42 pm But if anybody is ever going to do a 4 DSP emulator to run the Nord Modular, I'm all for it. I'd be glad to help with testing and throw some of my old patches at it.
Its on our to-do list :)

full list can be seen here

https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/faqs/

We are able to load & run the Access Virus B and C ROMs as VST2 plugins on Win64
Plugins will be available as VST3 x64 for Windows, VST3/AU x64 for macOS and VST3 x64 for Linux

i assume you can compile vst2, but cannot release vst2?

I'm ignorant about how to ask a question on this site. Please forgive me. I have recently purchased a new computer just for my DAW and nothing else I have some Ample Sound VSTs (ABU, and AGSC). I tried to install them on the new machine, but I get a massage saying I have already installed and must wait until a day in November. When I go to the old machine to deactivate. I cannot really find a responsive button. Clicking on the activation manager does nothing. If I go to my page on Amplesound.net, there is also no tab to click to deactivate my licenses. Are the hundreds I spent on these just useless until November, or is there something I am missing? Thanks

numerouno wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:47 pm
Its on our to-do list :)

full list can be seen here

https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/faqs/
Those are fantastic news!!

I didn't see that coming, so glad you are considering that synth. I still miss it.

Hotrawd wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:39 pm I'm ignorant about how to ask a question on this site. Please forgive me. I have recently purchased a new computer just for my DAW and nothing else I have some Ample Sound VSTs (ABU, and AGSC). I tried to install them on the new machine, but I get a massage saying I have already installed and must wait until a day in November. When I go to the old machine to deactivate. I cannot really find a responsive button. Clicking on the activation manager does nothing. If I go to my page on Amplesound.net, there is also no tab to click to deactivate my licenses. Are the hundreds I spent on these just useless until November, or is there something I am missing? Thanks
You should create a new thread, as what you describe has zero to do with the topic you posted it in.

AnX wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:00 am
vurt wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:48 pm
AnX wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:35 pm so are 'we' saying it's fully legal to build an emu, but totally illegal to access the ROM to put in it?

this means the emu is legally useless, and should not be encouraged if one is to remain legal....?

its certainly seems a dilemma for KVR....
not totally, if you own the device, you have the legal right to use it in an emu for personal use.
where does it say that?

im assuming most ppl who are going to use this don't own the hardware
Then stop making assumptions.

why? can you prove me wrong?

If it's you making accusations, its you that have to come with the evidence.

rafa1981 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:07 am If it's you making accusations, its you that have to come with the evidence.
i made an assumption, not an accusation :P

So it's you that have to prove your assumptions.

nope (if it bothers you that much, ignore it)

I'll have to agree with Anx here, even though it's just an assumption, why would people who actually alraedy own the HW synth use the OS in an emulator? Doesn't make much sense tbh. For testing purposes possibly, but not much for production purposes.

Nobody has to prove anything, but the defence certain people are showing towards this is kind of interesting.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Return to “Instruments”