Abyss released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Abyss

PetVor wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:51 pm So summarised: to the best of my knowledge its 2000+ tone colours - but I hear there is desire for even more and more distinct tone tone colours in a future version of Abyss? Or maybe libraries of tone-colour-maps?
That would be great. If there will also be more vocal/choir like sounds that would be incredible. I really enjoy the synth, it´s fun and creative.

Any chance of a sort of resynthesis from a user selected sample to create a tone colour?

BONES wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:06 am I tried the demo yesterday and I did not like it at all. The choice of sounds for the factory presets are very strange to me and I didn't hear anything I thought I might want to use. It was a bit frustrating because I'd hold a note down and it would do something interesting but, instead of continuing along that path, it would morph into something different (and terrible). I didn't like tweaking the patches, either. The whole colour idea seems dumb to me, I kept want to see the waveform I was working on and the Remnant (granular delay VST) style bars for effects didn't exactly thrill me, either. I can't see myself every wanting to use this over Concept, Straylight, Pigments or Quanta.
Wow! Let us know what you really think! 😂

Sorry it’s a missed opportunity for you.

“You can’t make everyone happy all of the time and last night, they were all at my show.” - Mitch Hedberg
Duality without regard to physicality

BONES wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:06 am The choice of sounds for the factory presets are very strange to me and I didn't hear anything I thought I might want to use.
I think this is the key point, just a matter of genre preference, there is nothing wrong.

Dirtgrain wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:00 pm I would like it to have an MSEG with one-shot, trigger option.
Agreed!

c_voltage wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:34 pmI think this is the key point, just a matter of genre preference, there is nothing wrong.
The thing is, most instruments manage to cover a range that means anyone can find something of value. It was quite striking to me that I couldn't find even a single patch I liked.
c0nsilience wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:48 pmWow! Let us know what you really think!
Well, of course. If it's OK to be effusive in your praise for something, it should be equally valid to be thorough in your critique, as long as you are honest, don't you think? You learn more from honest critique than you do from praise.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

https://youtu.be/8xJz5wWvMjo

keep forgetting to post these when I go live
Check out my website for synth/software articles reviews and presets http://databroth.com (new review every monday)

I also do experimental sound design and demos of plugins (no talking) on my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/databroth

There is a new version of Abyss available for download:
* two more CC modulators
* a new sample & hold modulator (a new random value for each note played)
* LFOs can be switched to uni-polar
* LFOs show zero-line when editing and they are bi-polar
* Draw straight lines in the LFOs by using SHIFT+click and draw

And last not least: there is a dice symbol next to the gradient to create a random gradient. All other sliders are not touched. The tone colours that are generated will take the settings of the sliders in the EDIT page. This is really fun - I hope you enjoy!

is there any plan for a multimode filter?

sqigls wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:19 am is there any plan for a multimode filter?
There wasn't, but now it is!

DAWESOME!

just to let you know, the Abyss installer is currently installing to...
/Users/[name here]/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3
but it should be installing to...
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3

[EDIT] ok Peter has explained that there is some Apple issue in regard to this, but if any OSX users are wondering where the plugin installed to... it might be in the other plugins folder. In which case you'll need to either move it manually, or enable your "Custom" folder in your DAW options. ;)

databroth wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:02 amkeep forgetting to post these when I go live
I can see why, it is eminently forgettable. (Sorry, you set yourself up for it and I couldn't resist.)
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

PetVor wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:12 am There is a new version of Abyss available for download:
* two more CC modulators
* a new sample & hold modulator (a new random value for each note played)
* LFOs can be switched to uni-polar
* LFOs show zero-line when editing and they are bi-polar
* Draw straight lines in the LFOs by using SHIFT+click and draw

And last not least: there is a dice symbol next to the gradient to create a random gradient. All other sliders are not touched. The tone colours that are generated will take the settings of the sliders in the EDIT page. This is really fun - I hope you enjoy!
and LIFT!!! (release velocity!)

WasteLand wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:04 am and LIFT!!! (release velocity!)
Ah,yes, sure, I forgot to mention this!!

PetVor wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:07 am
WasteLand wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:04 am and LIFT!!! (release velocity!)
Ah,yes, sure, I forgot to mention this!!
it was already a MPE synth into the bones (...), (grammar is wrong..), but with LIFT, and 3 CC modulations; the XYZ pad mode of lightpad M block + roli seabord (block), well....
heavy lifting!!

thanks for this already great update, looking forward to the next update, in the meantime going in, full MPE...

Return to “Instruments”