IK announces UNO Synth Pro

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That may not be possible with analogue hardware, as it is likely a characteristic of the physical circuit design.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:08 am That may not be possible with analogue hardware, as it is likely a characteristic of the physical circuit design.
I suppose only oscillators and filters are analog, not the envelopes...

If you're lucky.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

OK, I cracked and ordered one from Amazon tonight, should be here tomorrow. £340 which is cheaper than directly from IK even when using 65 Jam Points!

As I read it, IK= E399 + 20% TAX + 30E shipping = 510 EUR = £436 GBP I may be wrong, but I couldn't find anything about shipping to UK- import duties, customs, VAT etc. Even though I had (and still have!) 65 Jam Points its still a lot cheaper from AMAZON (and next day free not 30E), that just seems wrong!

Anyway, happy with the price, looking forward to playing with it...now I just need to sell my original UNO!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Noice
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Little peak at the editor which is apparently due August…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPV_2JOHOlX/
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

This synth sounds really great, but having matrix style interface a la Blofeld WITHOUT endless encoders is a huge buzzkill IMO.

Yes, definitely, but when it sounds as good as this thing does you tend to forgive the little things like that and at least the data entry knob is an endless encoder, so you can use that if it bugs you too much. Some people already see it as overpriced so splurging on endless encoders might have hurt sales more than it helped?
SLiC wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:42 pm OK, I cracked and ordered one from Amazon tonight, should be here tomorrow. £340 which is cheaper than directly from IK even when using 65 Jam Points!

... that just seems wrong!
The thing is, if IK undercut the retailers, the retailers won't stock it, so they have to sell it at full retail to keep their distribution network happy. Strangely, I still haven't seen it on any local shop website here in Australia, although it is also cheap here through Amazon (via UK).

From the price I assume you got the Desktop, like me? I f**king love it! The best synth I've ever owned.

Yeh, desktop…I was a big fan of the original UNOs basic sound as you know, so it was only a matter of time ;-) I was hoping to get it from IK as I had 65 Jam Points to use, but given Brexit Amazon is probably best…340 is as low as I have seen so far.

Desktop works great for me…I have a little coffee table set up in my studio around my MPC Live 2 which I am finding I use more and more (comfy sofa and a nice recent MPC update!) and I also have a circuit tracks that has audio in and a decent sequencer for a portable setup…I was unsung uno 1 with this (as circuit has fx) so may even keep it just for this as it’s all battery powered.

I have no intention of selling my Uno. It still has a bandpass filter, which is something you have to set up in Uno Pro, so it's easier to keep it around than f**k about with two filters to try and recreate those patches.

BONES wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:46 am Yes, definitely, but when it sounds as good as this thing does you tend to forgive the little things like that and at least the data entry knob is an endless encoder, so you can use that if it bugs you too much.
No, UX of a hardware synth is not a little thing, IMO. If I'm splurging for a hardware synth, I want to want to use it. I have zero problems with its price, I can pay that and more no problem, but parameter jumping or catching knob positions is not my idea of fun when using a hardware synth. Fiddling with one endless encoder is like going back to the 80s (I'm reminded of MKS-70 and Alpha Junos), in 2021 this is bonkers.

This is why Nord Lead 3 had absolutely the best UI of any hardware synth ever.

Again - phenomenal sound, but I'd like a "pro pro" version that is 5 octaves, polyphony wouldn't hurt, and then also laden with endless encoders. LED rings wouldn't hurt either but I know they'd drive the price up. But boy, NL3 really set the yardstick there, sadly nobody followed (except Behringer on some of their guitar amp simulators and DAW controllers).

Who cares? Nord stuff is so expensive I wouldn't care if it made me scones and tea. The old adage "you get what you pay for" works everywhere and if they want to make compromises to hit a price point that makes it a no-brainer for me, I'd rather it was that than sound quality. After all, I will ultimately do 90% of my patch creation using the editor, when it arrives. That said, I haven't found the knobs to be too annoying, I don't mind patching it at all. I'd certainly rather be patching Uno Pro than Analog Keys, even the endless encoders can't make that enjoyable.

Well, we're all different, so different people care about different things. Simple as that. :)

Buying a hardware synth just to use it via computer editor is... kinda ass-backwards. I can justify it only if it's a sound unattainable by other means with other software (i.e. Korg Trinity, Yamaha FS1R, Kawai K5000, etc.). But if it's a real analog synth, I want to use the damn knobs, and I want it to be knob per function as much as possible. If it's not knob per function, it's endless encoders time or bust. Just my 2c.
BONES wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:27 amI'd certainly rather be patching Uno Pro than Analog Keys, even the endless encoders can't make that enjoyable.
Well, agreed there. Analog Keys doesn't really have the sound, and UI is never a saving grace for a mediocre sounding synth. Similarly, a so-so UI can definitely impact the usability of a great sounding synth - for me, personally.

The thing with the desktop is that it can be used like a sound module and a lot if my sound modules (and keyboards for that matter) are not in easy reach when I am at a DAW, so I map them to my controller anyway (in my case a P6 with 8 encoders and a nice display) so its less of an issue. When its just DAWless stand alone hardware I could still map it to the encoders on my MPC or Circuit if I wanted to, so its not a massive issue...I am normally only riding the filter anyway :wink:

The great thing about hardware with a good VST editor is it is simply the best of both worlds, obviously you have portability and stand alone use, but you simply cant beat an editor/librarian on computer, even if you just use it for typing patch names!

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:36 amBuying a hardware synth just to use it via computer editor is... kinda ass-backwards.
Why? I can't get a visrtual version o fit so, because i liek the sound, that's the best option. But if IK ever made a VSTi of it, I'd be all over it.
But if it's a real analog synth, I want to use the damn knobs, and I want it to be knob per function as much as possible.
I don't see any point in that at all. I'll do all the patching at home and when I'm at home I want the best way of doing it and that's always going to be via a VSTi or standalone editor. I want it to sound good on stage and amaze people that such a massive sound can come from something so small. It's not in any way about me, it's about entertaining an audience. I don't actually need hardware for anything else.
If it's not knob per function, it's endless encoders time or bust.
Again, I'd say the opposite. The lack of endless encoders was the main reason I got rid of my Monologue and Minilogue. All those knobs and switches set up an expectation that those normal knobs just couldn't deliver.
Well, agreed there. Analog Keys doesn't really have the sound
Are you kidding!?! AK sounds amazing and has some incredible presets. It just wasn't for me, I literally hated working with it, even with the VSTi editor.

And, as SLiC says, it's mostly way too awkward to work with your hardware in a studio. Have a look at every amazing studio you see in YouTube videos - every single one has a big MIDI controller of some sort, two or more monitors and a computer keyboard front and centre. If they want to use any of their hardware, they have to get up and walk over to it. That's why I never bother with it in the studio, it destroys your workflow - up and down, up and down. Nobody needs that when they are trying to get things done. But if you have a software editor, you don't have to get up and your hardware integrates seamlessly into the workflow. It's a thing of beauty.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”