Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

I briefly testing shortcircuit 1 and 2 again last week. They are still great samplers. Engine wise and Interpolation I think sc2 is better than sc1. Sfz import in sc1 is great also. It reads and maps parameters nicely (which supported).

Looking forward to see the new improvements. Good luck to the team!

MTorn wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:53 amI’m glad you mention Shortcircuit.
I’m looking forward to it immensely. Any chance of a status update on the progress? Perhaps a screen shot?
There's no UI to show for SC XT just yet. It has been stagnating for quite some time due to VSTGUI>JUCE port of Surge.
kinwie wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:14 amEngine wise and Interpolation I think sc2 is better than sc1.
As far as I can tell, SC2 is a literal upgrade on top of SC1, interpolation algorithm is the same.

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:10 am As far as I can tell, SC2 is a literal upgrade on top of SC1, interpolation algorithm is the same.
Yeah right, just tested again, they both have the same interpolation quality. Not linear, but a better one. Seems like hermite. The different is the sample start or maybe in sc1 it affected by default attack.

Ah you can actually move the orange strips on env icon to change the algo, great !.
IMO allowing wav samples to be loaded wont make it suddenly a sampler, you cant set different envelope per osc so... would be great to have it in, as a gimmick.

You CAN set different envelopes per osc, by using MSEG or LFO in Envelope mode and modulating the mixer volumes.

It's a lot of work to support "a gimmick" :)

Just a little note about version numbers:-

Logic's plugin manager reports Surge's version number as being 1.0.1 and the SurgeEffectsBank as having an invalid version number. It doesn't really matter for Surge but when there's an invalid version number it can cause Logic to rescan the plugin for validation on each load. That said, I've only noticed this happening once recently, so it's no real issue.

It was fixed just today. We don't have nightlies running just yet, but Surge XT will have it fixed.

will surge xt be free?

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:32 pm It was fixed just today. We don't have nightlies running just yet, but Surge XT will have it fixed.
Great, thanks.

surreal wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:46 pm will surge xt be free?
Why wouldn't it be?

Just wondering. .I have seen many projects similar to this go back to being a paid product after many improvements

I guess it will be free XT. 😁

surreal wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:13 pm Just wondering. .I have seen many projects similar to this go back to being a paid product after many improvements
Surge is open source, free as in speech. That its also free as in beer is a side effect… Surge is not similar to projects you seem to think of, they had been just free as in beer…
GPL should be taught at school…

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:23 pm
surreal wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:46 pm will surge xt be free?
Why wouldn't it be?
Why even add the xt? :dog: The work on Surge stands on it's merits, throwing on an extra bit of title text just leads to questions. Vital has free and paid versions, as do Sampletank and Kontakt etc. Each towing a raft of customer questions. Pretty natural to wonder what the xt is all about. I have no clue myself. Surge is impressive. I would consider an XT version to differ in some significant way. If it's not 'donations' of some sort, I'd just drop the xt and pretend it never happened.
Cheers

They probably want to call it XT because it includes a significant amount of improvements over the original?

Return to “Instruments”