Valhalla Shimmer.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all.

I am just wondering, if there will be some sort of improvements to the shimmer thing, like some new features?

What would you like to be added to it?

I don't think it's had a major update for many years. It has pretty much all the features you'd need already though. There's plenty of good competition around these days - I often prefer the Shimmer mode in Kuassa's reverb "pedal", and it goes on sale for close to 10 bucks. It's not very tweakable but the base sound is lush and smooth, not grainy at all.

classic wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:01 pm What would you like to be added to it?
ValhallaShimmer definitely has a its own characteristic - and pristine - sound, but I'd love to see some way to add dirt into the signal path. Maybe some deep exploration of different pitch shifting methods and textures, similar to the exploration of delay types and reverb models on the other Valhalla products.

Would be a lot cooler if it were free. I cannot justify $50 for something I can make essentially with Delay and VVV. My 2 cents.

hoxclab wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:37 am Would be a lot cooler if it were free. I cannot justify $50 for something I can make essentially with Delay and VVV. My 2 cents.
did you mean to write delay here? did you mean pitch shifter?

also, to do the full monty, you need to be able to feed some of the shifted/delay/reverbed signal back into the input, which is not always straightforward in a daw.

Maybe a high quality mode as VShimmer sounds sometimes bit too grainy how its made now
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

hoxclab wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:37 am Would be a lot cooler if it were free. I cannot justify $50 for something I can make essentially with Delay and VVV. My 2 cents.
You would need a pitch-shifter - plus you need to (be able to) make the required routing.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Don't have it anymore.
Too many competitors with advanced and comprehensive functionality:
Tritik Irid
Eventide ShimmerVerb
Audiority Polaris
etc

MogwaiBoy wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:19 pm I don't think it's had a major update for many years. It has pretty much all the features you'd need already though. There's plenty of good competition around these days - I often prefer the Shimmer mode in Kuassa's reverb "pedal", and it goes on sale for close to 10 bucks. It's not very tweakable but the base sound is lush and smooth, not grainy at all.
Kuassa’s EFEKTOR RV3604 REVERB is on sale at $12.50 at the moment, 50% off all their plugins.
바보

martinjuenke wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:31 pm Don't have it anymore.
Too many competitors with advanced and comprehensive functionality:
Tritik Irid
Eventide ShimmerVerb
Audiority Polaris
etc
ValhallaShimmer ran on an old framework that would make updating it difficult and could require a rewrite. And with so many competing options available now, it probably doesn't make sense to do so. When it was released, it was the only ShimmerVerb around.

That said, I much prefer ValhallaShimmer to the Eventide. Irid sounds great, but it's like a cleaner, hi-fi Shimmer, compared to Valhalla which is noisier and more chaotic sounding in a cool way. So it still holds up IMO.

legendCNCD wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:15 pm Maybe a high quality mode as VShimmer sounds sometimes bit too grainy how its made now
High quality mode would be a nice addition.

Recently went on the Shimmer hunt and ended up with Tritik Irid. I have always been a fan of all things Valhalla DSP (I have everything except Shimmer) and also love Eventide but after demoing Irid, I fell in love with the extra sound design features.

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ohdoubleu wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:19 pm
classic wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:01 pm What would you like to be added to it?
ValhallaShimmer definitely has a its own characteristic - and pristine - sound, but I'd love to see some way to add dirt into the signal path. Maybe some deep exploration of different pitch shifting methods and textures, similar to the exploration of delay types and reverb models on the other Valhalla products.
This isn't the most useful suggestion, but if you have a host that can do feedback (Bitwig and reaper are the two easiest I know of) then creating a feedback path from the output back to the input of shimmer can make some awesome noises. I like using a frequency shifter in the feedback that is pushing the frequencies in the opposite direction of the onboard shifter. Adding another granular processor into the feedback can get real wacky too.

JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Don't be afraid to give xenoverb a go.. it has a shimmer verb built in and has the right parameters to dial it in , it also has a freeze function. I like it plenty and I am not starving for verbs.

Return to “Effects”