Soundtoys are they now overated? My thinking is...

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
User avatar
KVRAF
1788 posts since 6 Jul, 2013

Post Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:52 am

I don't think they are either under-rated or over-rated. They're pretty much seen as what they are - decent, workmanlike plugins that sound good, are quite flexible, model some fairly unique pieces of gear, have been around for a while and probably need a bit of modernisation, and have a good reputation.

I guess they generally seem to be appropriately rated...

User avatar
KVRAF
6318 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:07 am

middle-rated :P
EnergyXT3 - Reaper | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket |
SoundCloud - Bandcamp

User avatar
KVRAF
3985 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:27 am

I like them still after a few years and use them pretty often. Certainly there are alternatives, however, when you have the kinds of sounds that they offer in mind, you can simply use them to get that, and that's it, you're done. :shrug:

E.g. No real reason to try and coax that sound out of anything else. The effect rack is cool as well,
I can't really think of any other rackable collections that utilize such comprehensive and similar
quality effects. Not to mention it's so easy to get the whole bundle.

KVRAF
3889 posts since 26 Nov, 2015 from Way Downunder

Post Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:54 am

They're still good/great but they should do a proper overhaul. Modern GUIs (scalable), oversampling, A/B etc.

Decapitator was the industry standard but there's better stuff around now.

KVRAF
2120 posts since 30 Aug, 2012 from Sweden

Post Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:16 am

FiloFi wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:37 am


I think in summary I think they were the doggy doodads back in the day but now. Nah, For every single plugin they do there is something as good or better, usualy cheaper and quicker to flow with. Yes even echoboy and radiator. I would love to know how anyone else feels. If Im alone in this, thats cool.
And still I have stopped counting how many pro's use their plugins. Especially echoboy and decapitator and mix music ppl love and praise and wonder how they mixed so good. :lol: They never complain and use stock plugins too. They use anything becuase they know it's not the tools that matter so much. It's the knowledge on how to do it that matters. Amateurs on kvr complain and are on the mission to find the next thing they hope will make their mixes better. And in most cases ends up for sale in less than 6 months. :roll:

User avatar
KVRist
450 posts since 10 Jan, 2017

Post Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:45 am

They seem to err on the side of slightly dark and gritty, so if that's not your thing you probably won't vibe with them. Personally I still like a lot of them and will lose hours scrolling through phasemistress presets. Wait for sales though.

KVRist
239 posts since 27 Aug, 2015 from Paris, France

Post Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:01 am

I don't consider them overrated, they still sound great and are fun to use. Yet there are more and more alternatives for most of them (for things like Crystallizer or Alterboy I'm less sure though), but you can have the bundle second-hand for cheap and I think there's still a lot of value in there.

This said, my main gripe with soundtoys is not about oversampling or UI, it's about latency. Each one of their plugins adds too much latency (that's 1-2 ms on average per plugin), so that when you use a few, it adds up quickly. The effect rack does limit the latency if you use multiple plugins, but it's still nearly 3ms alone. That's the main reason why I use more and more alternatives when it's possible.
Soundcloud - Synthwave & More https://soundcloud.com/canapelee

User avatar
RPH
KVRian
1290 posts since 21 Nov, 2005 from The Netherlands

Post Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:49 am

About a year ago I bought Soundtoys Filterfreak 2 because of a trick I saw on youtube I haven't seen other filter VSTs can do. The LFO options are good too. At least that plugin isn't overrated imo.
http://rhmodules.nl
http://syntheditforum.boards.net/
-------------------------------------

User avatar
KVRAF
2756 posts since 8 Jul, 2008 from UK

Post Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:47 am

RPH wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:49 am
About a year ago I bought Soundtoys Filterfreak 2 because of a trick I saw on youtube I haven't seen other filter VSTs can do. The LFO options are good too. At least that plugin isn't overrated imo.
Ironically, I was going through various filter vst's I have (NONE HAVE DAMN MSEG OPTIONS)

and I couldn't find something I liked the sound of (For what I was looking for) until I went to Filterfreak and boom it landed in one go.
Forward ever, Backward never

KVRAF
21092 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:38 am

FiloFi wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:37 am
I think in summary I think they were the doggy doodads back in the day but now. Nah, For every single plugin they do there is something as good or better, usualy cheaper and quicker to flow with. Yes even echoboy and radiator. I would love to know how anyone else feels. If Im alone in this, thats cool.
So when you have already made up your mind and don't care whether others agree with you or not, why are you interested in their opnion then (strongly enough to start a thread about it no less)?

What's the purpose of this?




Image
Last edited by jens on Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

v1o
KVRAF
2811 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Post Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:42 am

That's like saying the Lexicon or TC Electronic reverb sound is dated. If a plug-in sounds good it is never dated. The thing with Soundtoys is that they have a signature sound which is now established as a thing in many genres. Listen to any Tchad Blake record like the Black Keys or Arctic Monkeys - they have the Soundtoys sound all over them.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

KVRAF
2538 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:50 am

v1o wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:42 am
That's like saying the Lexicon or TC Electronic reverb sound is dated. If a plug-in sounds good it is never dated. The thing with Soundtoys is that they have a signature sound which is now established as a thing in many genres. Listen to any Tchad Blake record like the Black Keys or Arctic Monkeys - they have the Soundtoys sound all over them.
Can you quote someone that actually claimed that Soundtoys plugins are overrated because their sound is dated, so your post have actually any merit instead of just hitting straw man for the sake of it.

User avatar
KVRAF
11059 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:12 am

jens wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:38 am
FiloFi wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:37 am
I think in summary I think they were the doggy doodads back in the day but now. Nah, For every single plugin they do there is something as good or better, usualy cheaper and quicker to flow with. Yes even echoboy and radiator. I would love to know how anyone else feels. If Im alone in this, thats cool.
So when you have already made up your mind and don't care whether others agree with you or not, why are you interested in their opnion then (strongly enough to start a thread about it no less)?

What's the purpose of this?




Image
Well, there is a chance that someone starting out might be considering the Soundtoys bundle and having a light shined on it’s weaknesses is helpful, especially if someone is just starting out. Who knows, it might even light a bit of a fire under the people at SoundToys to make some much needed changes. Seems unlikely, though, considering how long it has been since they’ve really produced an anything. My guess is they lost a key developer or something. It’s not impossible that they’re gearing up for an Arturiaesque rebirth. I had them down for the count a few years ago, and then all of the sudden they started lighting the software world on fire. Hardware too.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

v1o
KVRAF
2811 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Post Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:13 am

Passing Bye wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:50 am
v1o wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:42 am
That's like saying the Lexicon or TC Electronic reverb sound is dated. If a plug-in sounds good it is never dated. The thing with Soundtoys is that they have a signature sound which is now established as a thing in many genres. Listen to any Tchad Blake record like the Black Keys or Arctic Monkeys - they have the Soundtoys sound all over them.
Can you quote someone that actually claimed that Soundtoys plugins are overrated because their sound is dated, so your post have actually any merit instead of just hitting straw man for the sake of it.
FiloFi wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:37 am
I think in summary I think they were the doggy doodads back in the day but now. Nah
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

KVRAF
2538 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:22 am

v1o wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:13 am
Passing Bye wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:50 am
v1o wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:42 am
That's like saying the Lexicon or TC Electronic reverb sound is dated. If a plug-in sounds good it is never dated. The thing with Soundtoys is that they have a signature sound which is now established as a thing in many genres. Listen to any Tchad Blake record like the Black Keys or Arctic Monkeys - they have the Soundtoys sound all over them.
Can you quote someone that actually claimed that Soundtoys plugins are overrated because their sound is dated, so your post have actually any merit instead of just hitting straw man for the sake of it.
FiloFi wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:37 am
I think in summary I think they were the doggy doodads back in the day but now. Nah
So nobody...

Return to “Effects”