Soundtoys are they now overated? My thinking is...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Delay Lama

I don't think they are either under-rated or over-rated. They're pretty much seen as what they are - decent, workmanlike plugins that sound good, are quite flexible, model some fairly unique pieces of gear, have been around for a while and probably need a bit of modernisation, and have a good reputation.

I guess they generally seem to be appropriately rated...

middle-rated :P
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I like them still after a few years and use them pretty often. Certainly there are alternatives, however, when you have the kinds of sounds that they offer in mind, you can simply use them to get that, and that's it, you're done. :shrug:

E.g. No real reason to try and coax that sound out of anything else. The effect rack is cool as well,
I can't really think of any other rackable collections that utilize such comprehensive and similar
quality effects. Not to mention it's so easy to get the whole bundle.

They're still good/great but they should do a proper overhaul. Modern GUIs (scalable), oversampling, A/B etc.

Decapitator was the industry standard but there's better stuff around now.

FiloFi wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:37 pm

I think in summary I think they were the doggy doodads back in the day but now. Nah, For every single plugin they do there is something as good or better, usualy cheaper and quicker to flow with. Yes even echoboy and radiator. I would love to know how anyone else feels. If Im alone in this, thats cool.
And still I have stopped counting how many pro's use their plugins. Especially echoboy and decapitator and mix music ppl love and praise and wonder how they mixed so good. :lol: They never complain and use stock plugins too. They use anything becuase they know it's not the tools that matter so much. It's the knowledge on how to do it that matters. Amateurs on kvr complain and are on the mission to find the next thing they hope will make their mixes better. And in most cases ends up for sale in less than 6 months. :roll:

They seem to err on the side of slightly dark and gritty, so if that's not your thing you probably won't vibe with them. Personally I still like a lot of them and will lose hours scrolling through phasemistress presets. Wait for sales though.

I don't consider them overrated, they still sound great and are fun to use. Yet there are more and more alternatives for most of them (for things like Crystallizer or Alterboy I'm less sure though), but you can have the bundle second-hand for cheap and I think there's still a lot of value in there.

This said, my main gripe with soundtoys is not about oversampling or UI, it's about latency. Each one of their plugins adds too much latency (that's 1-2 ms on average per plugin), so that when you use a few, it adds up quickly. The effect rack does limit the latency if you use multiple plugins, but it's still nearly 3ms alone. That's the main reason why I use more and more alternatives when it's possible.
Soundcloud - Synthwave & More https://soundcloud.com/canapelee

About a year ago I bought Soundtoys Filterfreak 2 because of a trick I saw on youtube I haven't seen other filter VSTs can do. The LFO options are good too. At least that plugin isn't overrated imo.

RPH wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:49 pm About a year ago I bought Soundtoys Filterfreak 2 because of a trick I saw on youtube I haven't seen other filter VSTs can do. The LFO options are good too. At least that plugin isn't overrated imo.
Ironically, I was going through various filter vst's I have (NONE HAVE DAMN MSEG OPTIONS)

and I couldn't find something I liked the sound of (For what I was looking for) until I went to Filterfreak and boom it landed in one go.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

FiloFi wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:37 pm I think in summary I think they were the doggy doodads back in the day but now. Nah, For every single plugin they do there is something as good or better, usualy cheaper and quicker to flow with. Yes even echoboy and radiator. I would love to know how anyone else feels. If Im alone in this, thats cool.
So when you have already made up your mind and don't care whether others agree with you or not, why are you interested in their opnion then (strongly enough to start a thread about it no less)?

What's the purpose of this?

Last edited by jens on Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

That's like saying the Lexicon or TC Electronic reverb sound is dated. If a plug-in sounds good it is never dated. The thing with Soundtoys is that they have a signature sound which is now established as a thing in many genres. Listen to any Tchad Blake record like the Black Keys or Arctic Monkeys - they have the Soundtoys sound all over them.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:42 pm That's like saying the Lexicon or TC Electronic reverb sound is dated. If a plug-in sounds good it is never dated. The thing with Soundtoys is that they have a signature sound which is now established as a thing in many genres. Listen to any Tchad Blake record like the Black Keys or Arctic Monkeys - they have the Soundtoys sound all over them.
Can you quote someone that actually claimed that Soundtoys plugins are overrated because their sound is dated, so your post have actually any merit instead of just hitting straw man for the sake of it.

jens wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:38 pm
FiloFi wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:37 pm I think in summary I think they were the doggy doodads back in the day but now. Nah, For every single plugin they do there is something as good or better, usualy cheaper and quicker to flow with. Yes even echoboy and radiator. I would love to know how anyone else feels. If Im alone in this, thats cool.
So when you have already made up your mind and don't care whether others agree with you or not, why are you interested in their opnion then (strongly enough to start a thread about it no less)?

What's the purpose of this?

Well, there is a chance that someone starting out might be considering the Soundtoys bundle and having a light shined on it’s weaknesses is helpful, especially if someone is just starting out. Who knows, it might even light a bit of a fire under the people at SoundToys to make some much needed changes. Seems unlikely, though, considering how long it has been since they’ve really produced an anything. My guess is they lost a key developer or something. It’s not impossible that they’re gearing up for an Arturiaesque rebirth. I had them down for the count a few years ago, and then all of the sudden they started lighting the software world on fire. Hardware too.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Passing Bye wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:50 pm
v1o wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:42 pm That's like saying the Lexicon or TC Electronic reverb sound is dated. If a plug-in sounds good it is never dated. The thing with Soundtoys is that they have a signature sound which is now established as a thing in many genres. Listen to any Tchad Blake record like the Black Keys or Arctic Monkeys - they have the Soundtoys sound all over them.
Can you quote someone that actually claimed that Soundtoys plugins are overrated because their sound is dated, so your post have actually any merit instead of just hitting straw man for the sake of it.
FiloFi wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:37 pm I think in summary I think they were the doggy doodads back in the day but now. Nah
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:13 pm
Passing Bye wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:50 pm
FiloFi wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:37 pm I think in summary I think they were the doggy doodads back in the day but now. Nah
So nobody...

Return to “Effects”