UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 2.1.7 released - rumors, ads, praise and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Hez
KVRian
876 posts since 10 Dec, 2013

Post Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:02 am

Congrats on Asteroid UVI, I've demoed sooo many percussion libraries over the years and this is the first one I've really gelled with - fantastic recordings and a ton of flexibility with the mix'n'match approach.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to leverage MPE to allow us to utilise a bit more of the inbuilt sequencer's functionality over in the DAW piano roll. I like the simplicity of the sequencer, it's a great start point for finding some inspiration, but if I want to get into complex polyrhythms or programming one-off fills etc. then I need to do that in MIDI.

As an idea, maybe you could use MPE per-note pitch expression for Pitch transposition, per-note pressure/aftertouch to control Decay articulation, and maybe timbre/CC74 for Pan?

Ideally this would get baked into the MIDI file that gets generated by Asteroid too so I lose as little as possible when moving from the inbuilt sequencer out into a MIDI clip.

I'm not a Falcon expert so maybe this is possible using the MPE script/event thingy already, but I had a quick look and it didn't seem very feasible as Asteroid seems heavily 'contained' already.
dubby ambient forest techno 'n' stuff: soundcloud.com/arkaean

KVRist
248 posts since 8 Jan, 2015

Post Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:16 am

Does this ever go on sale?

350 is STEEP with no demo!

I got a new hardware synth to explore in the meantime but also looking for something to do pads also seems like Falcon might do well here.

KVRAF
6788 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Post Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:44 am

rubez wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:16 am
Yes, but highest I’ve ever seen is 30% off. The sweetener is you get 100 dollars/euros credit to spend at the UVI store so it’s good if you want to pick up expansions or put it towards one of the big libraries or a bundle like Vintage Vault.
Unlike IK Multimedia, you can use that credit on items that are intro discounted or on sale.

KVRAF
2343 posts since 26 Mar, 2002 from london

Post Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:14 am

I've forgotten which threads are for feature requests; I think it was haphazard. Anyhow, a limitation of Falcon is the impossibility of ducking reverbs and delays due to the keygroup/layer system. An awesome improvement would be to have ducking built in to sparkverb and delays, as one finds with e.g. R4.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

KVRAF
6788 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Post Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:13 am

As nice as some of the inbuilt Falcon effects are I just find it easier all round to remove all effects and handle that side of things in the DAW instead

W23
KVRist
487 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Post Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:00 am

rubez wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:16 am

350 is STEEP with no demo!

I got a new hardware synth to explore in the meantime but also looking for something to do pads also seems like Falcon might do well here.
It goes on sale fairly often. I think it was on sale just a couple of weeks ago. Get on UVI’s mailing list, or some other 3rd party vendor. UVI always seems to have something discounted by 30%. I think I picked up Falcon for $245 back in 2019. Still not cheap, but it is a good price.

Return to “Instruments”