UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Congrats on Asteroid UVI, I've demoed sooo many percussion libraries over the years and this is the first one I've really gelled with - fantastic recordings and a ton of flexibility with the mix'n'match approach.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to leverage MPE to allow us to utilise a bit more of the inbuilt sequencer's functionality over in the DAW piano roll. I like the simplicity of the sequencer, it's a great start point for finding some inspiration, but if I want to get into complex polyrhythms or programming one-off fills etc. then I need to do that in MIDI.

As an idea, maybe you could use MPE per-note pitch expression for Pitch transposition, per-note pressure/aftertouch to control Decay articulation, and maybe timbre/CC74 for Pan?

Ideally this would get baked into the MIDI file that gets generated by Asteroid too so I lose as little as possible when moving from the inbuilt sequencer out into a MIDI clip.

I'm not a Falcon expert so maybe this is possible using the MPE script/event thingy already, but I had a quick look and it didn't seem very feasible as Asteroid seems heavily 'contained' already.

Does this ever go on sale?

350 is STEEP with no demo!

I got a new hardware synth to explore in the meantime but also looking for something to do pads also seems like Falcon might do well here.

rubez wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:16 pm Does this ever go on sale?
Yes, but highest I’ve ever seen is 30% off. The sweetener is you get 100 dollars/euros credit to spend at the UVI store so it’s good if you want to pick up expansions or put it towards one of the big libraries or a bundle like Vintage Vault.
Unlike IK Multimedia, you can use that credit on items that are intro discounted or on sale.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

I've forgotten which threads are for feature requests; I think it was haphazard. Anyhow, a limitation of Falcon is the impossibility of ducking reverbs and delays due to the keygroup/layer system. An awesome improvement would be to have ducking built in to sparkverb and delays, as one finds with e.g. R4.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

As nice as some of the inbuilt Falcon effects are I just find it easier all round to remove all effects and handle that side of things in the DAW instead

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

rubez wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:16 pm Does this ever go on sale?

350 is STEEP with no demo!

I got a new hardware synth to explore in the meantime but also looking for something to do pads also seems like Falcon might do well here.
It goes on sale fairly often. I think it was on sale just a couple of weeks ago. Get on UVI’s mailing list, or some other 3rd party vendor. UVI always seems to have something discounted by 30%. I think I picked up Falcon for $245 back in 2019. Still not cheap, but it is a good price.

OK so I'm out of town with only a fraction of my UVI library availible for the laptopt here. ILok MachFive Libraries and larger libraries are 1000 miles away.

I get a nag screen every time saying libraries are missing when I open up Falcons GUI. Is there any way beyond removing the library paths to get this to go away?

machinesworking wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:05 am OK so I'm out of town with only a fraction of my UVI library availible for the laptopt here. ILok MachFive Libraries and larger libraries are 1000 miles away.

I get a nag screen every time saying libraries are missing when I open up Falcons GUI. Is there any way beyond removing the library paths to get this to go away?
Do you still use machfive eventhough you have falcon? just curious

I recently found out my favorite producer uses machfive 3 for alot of his sounds, and I heard UVI falcon is the natural update. But I guess MF3 has the sound libraries, so now I'm conflicted on which to get or to buy both tbh.

HREQ wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:24 pm
machinesworking wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:05 am OK so I'm out of town with only a fraction of my UVI library availible for the laptopt here. ILok MachFive Libraries and larger libraries are 1000 miles away.

I recently found out my favorite producer uses machfive 3 for alot of his sounds, and I heard UVI falcon is the natural update. But I guess MF3 has the sound libraries, so now I'm conflicted on which to get or to buy both tbh.
Machfive3 comes with a ton of sound lubraries, but nothing you couldn’t find elsewhere IMO. M53 is depreciated, motu tend to just let things die with no fanfare , Falcon has man advantages over M53 and only one disadvantage, M53 reads multiple old sample library formats

HREQ wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:24 pm

Everything released for MachFive will work in Falcon, full compatibility.

Hi all. A boring quick question for those who brew their own sample instruments in Falcon.
I'm not currently a user, and would check it out myself if they offered a demo.

My question is this:
When importing WAV samples, does Falcon also import any fine tuning information contained in the file?
I assume that Falcon reads the loop points and root note (in the header, not just in the file name), but does it care about the fine tuning data, if present? I'm talking about the data that sits under "MIDI pitch fraction" in the SMPL part of the header.

Very few sample players support this (Reason's NN-XT and NN19 are among the few), but I have thousands of samples ready to make into hundreds of instruments, each already tuned individually by ear, so I'd be very happy to not have to tune them all over again in whatever sampler player I end up using.

Thanks for the help!

UVI, can you please allow us to assign our midi controllers to the browser, to change patches, alike Arturia allows. It get's old using the keyboard/mouse for this. thanks!
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

UVI, Can u allow us to lock midi parameter assignments for our midi controllers so that we don't have to assign new parameters such as cutoff etc. to each patch everytime we change a patch?

obvious features like this should be top priority in falcon!
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

trusampler wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:24 pm UVI, Can u allow us to lock midi parameter assignments for our midi controllers so that we don't have to assign new parameters such as cutoff etc. to each patch everytime we change a patch?

obvious features like this should be top priority in falcon!
There are macro controller assignments in Falcon. Is it that these also don't work between patches? That's a big oversight on UVI's part, it's an easy way to get NKS level control of Falcon if you could assign MIDI CCs to 8-24 Macros that kept that CC when changing patches.

There's also aggravating things like Falcon opening up with all midi ports enabled, after you set certain ones to be disabled. Not sure who beta test's falcon, but these lil issues make it aggravating to say the least. Sometimes it's the attention to detail to the small things that make the program great,hopefully UVI starts looking at these issues.
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Return to “Instruments”