Reason 12 announced

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12 Reason Intro Reason Suite

jens wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:20 pm
SLiC wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:02 pm it is a far more fully featured sequencer in many ways than say Live or Bitwig that have no audio pitch correction whatsoever and only got 'comping' this year!
Sure, but it is also dramatically lacking in other regards...

no MIDI loop-recording, no slip-editing... :-o
All down to the individual user I guess, that why there are so many DAWS.

Personally I don't miss/use I those particular features, but there are definitely things I would like to see added (to every DAW I own!) and I have my list on the Reason 'Wishlist' post like everyone else :D

Still amazes me that Live become one of the most popular DAWS and has been around for 20 years and never had comping (and still doesn't have pitch correction)...its amazing what different priorities people have!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

jens wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:58 pm These two I mentioned are bare basics almost every DAW has... and what do you mean with "more understanding"? Reason is my main DAW of choice, so I am really puzzled what on earth that could possibly refer to? As in never daring to even just mention anywhere what's missing?

I love the smell of fanbois in the morning...
I don't think starflakeprj is even remotely close to a Reason fanboi - have you bothered looking at his signature? :lol: If i'm not mistaken, his comment about "more understanding" is that many people who criticize Reason's missing features give other DAW's a free pass when they are missing features.

Also, no one is allowed to have my fanbois crown. I worked hard for it. :D
SLiC wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:01 pm Still amazes me that Live become one of the most popular DAWS and has been around for 20 years and never had comping (and still doesn't have pitch correction)...its amazing what different priorities people have!
^^ THIS ^^

Not to mention it's (arguably) ugly AF to look at. :party:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

anttimaatteri wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:54 am and no plans to give scalable gui to reason 11 users? maan they must be really desperate...
its almost like implementing midi after 50 years and telling folks this is da shitz nowq damn pay it ;D
When a new feature is added in the latest edition of a software, how can that apply to an older version? lol!

I'm often mistaken for a "fanboi", but I guess you can't defend anything without being one. I like Reason, I like Studio One, I like Bitwig. I bought Cubase yesterday, I don't like it that much so far (so I guess I'm a Cubase hater?). Not liking Reaper as much, or Maschine, either, but I'm more neutral to FL Studio, Waveform and Renoise

Since I own/use a couple of DAWs, I lurk around in different threads reading (and commenting) about different DAW. Sometimes defending the DAW when I think the critics are unfair, but sometimes ranting about a developer and/or their products. In Reason Studios case I have more against their business ethics and how they run their business. I guess I'm a Reason fanboi but a Reason Studios "hateboi"? ;)

And yes, EnochLight is on to what I mean. Reason has a lot of stuff other DAWs are missing, and I would find it weird if there was even one DAW that had even close to every feature a user would ask for. I see a lot of anger towards Reason, and I understand some of the arguments, it's features that most other DAWs have. But do the same people rant about features Reason have that are not available in other DAWs?
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:50 pm But do the same people rant about features Reason have that are not available in other DAWs?
I certainly do, of course...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

SLiC wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:01 pm
jens wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:20 pm
SLiC wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:02 pm it is a far more fully featured sequencer in many ways than say Live or Bitwig that have no audio pitch correction whatsoever and only got 'comping' this year!
Sure, but it is also dramatically lacking in other regards...

no MIDI loop-recording, no slip-editing... :-o
All down to the individual user I guess, that why there are so many DAWS.

Yes, of course... with MIDI loop-recording for instance it is like this:

if you are a keyboard-player, you either sometimes record MIDI, or you record it all as audio (which I mostly do, especially in Reason), then you are good

If you however record MIDI, there are three possibilites:

1) you play so well that always get it right with the first take

2) you don't but edit the hell out of your MIDI instead, but if you are more of a performer and less of a producer type of person, chances are you won't like that because it compromises the quality of your performance...

3) you need loop-recording

Since personally I fall into category number three, I usually record audio rather than MIDI, which is a bit tedious; or I stop, delete and re-record, which is tedious; or I use a Block to create several repeats of the section I want to record, which is tedious.

So if you are a keyboard-player of sorts, you are either a very good-player, or Reason is a bit of a pain in the arse...

the lack of real slip-editing? That's plain inexcuseable, but then again Sonar is even much much worse in that regard...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Amazingly, when I switched to Studio One, I didn't miss Reason at all... There was nothing I couldn't live without....just regret that I bought so many RE's that I couldn't use. With getting the Reason Rack Lite Free plugin, that opened the door to bringing these into Studio One. To be honest though, I don't even use or need them.. things in the VST world are just far superior.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:35 pm Amazingly, when I switched to Studio One, I didn't miss Reason at all... There was nothing I couldn't live without....just regret that I bought so many RE's that I couldn't use. With getting the Reason Rack Lite Free plugin, that opened the door to bringing these into Studio One. To be honest though, I don't even use or need them.. things in the VST world are just far superior.
Yet you still can't help yourself chiming in to every Reason thread to remind everyone of your incredible hero's journey, despite not using the software anymore. :dog: It's... odd, ScottyM. To say the least. :lol: :party:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:39 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:35 pm Amazingly, when I switched to Studio One, I didn't miss Reason at all... There was nothing I couldn't live without....just regret that I bought so many RE's that I couldn't use. With getting the Reason Rack Lite Free plugin, that opened the door to bringing these into Studio One. To be honest though, I don't even use or need them.. things in the VST world are just far superior.
Yet you still can't help yourself chiming in to every Reason thread to remind everyone of your incredible hero's journey, despite not using the software anymore. :dog: It's... odd, ScottyM. To say the least. :lol: :party:
If the opportunity to share my experience with those who are unaware of it is of value to those interested in it, then I see no reason to not provide it..13 years is nothing to sniff at. Do you need to be a registered Reason user on the ReasonTalk forum to use it and is it still run by a mob of people that can't take criticism of Reason ? :lol:
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:05 pm If the opportunity to share my experience with those who are unaware of it is of value to those interested in it, then I see no reason to not provide it..13 years is nothing to sniff at.
A subjective opinion? Sure - I'm sure some people will find value in it. :party:
THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:05 pm Do you need to be a registered Reason user on the ReasonTalk forum to use it and is it still run by a mob of people that can't take criticism of Reason ? :lol:
:roll:

Never was ran by a mob of people that can't take criticism of Reason (in fact, us mods are some of the most vocal critics of Reason 12's shortcomings - but there's a difference between constructively discussing things that need improvement and blathering on in a never-ending bitch-fest that devolve into ad hominems, the latter of which we have no tolerance for). Don't be sore no one liked your GUI/UX designs. :lol:

EnochLight wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:17 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:05 pm If the opportunity to share my experience with those who are unaware of it is of value to those interested in it, then I see no reason to not provide it..13 years is nothing to sniff at.
A subjective opinion? Sure - I'm sure some people will find value in it. :party:
THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:05 pm Do you need to be a registered Reason user on the ReasonTalk forum to use it and is it still run by a mob of people that can't take criticism of Reason ? :lol:
:roll:

Never was ran by a mob of people that can't take criticism of Reason (in fact, us mods are some of the most vocal critics of Reason 12's shortcomings - but there's a difference between constructively discussing things that need improvement and blathering on in a never-ending bitch-fest that devolve into ad hominems, the latter of which we have no tolerance for). Don't be sore no one liked your GUI/UX designs. :lol:
Hardly, the mods didn't know how to handle criticism, let alone be critical of Reason itself, where they tried to defend everything props did, and let the mob culture dictate their decisions in who they wanted in their Reason forum fan club, with a mob centric group raising torches, going on witch hunts against the most vocal of individuals..even in the off topic sections of the site. Led by Bavanity... lol. Some crazy dude that followed me around for three years on the old prop forum that I didn't ever have any communication with lol.

Sometimes I use the VST3 for RE's in Studio One. I like some of the RE's, but agree that I have too many and Studio One has been my mainstay for a long time now (basically version 4 when it came out)

I like Reason, but I'm not excited about 12 at all.

I know I'm way too chatty for a newcomer, but there are just too many relevant threads!

THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:35 pm Amazingly, when I switched to Studio One, I didn't miss Reason at all... There was nothing I couldn't live without....
Well, good for you, but what's supposed to be amazing (or even just relevant at all) about this?

jens wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:26 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:35 pm Amazingly, when I switched to Studio One, I didn't miss Reason at all... There was nothing I couldn't live without....
Well, good for you, but what's supposed to be amazing (or even just relevant at all) about this?
It's was a straight switch... I didn't try and juggle between two DAWs, and I was able to quickly learn it and do things on a much more massive scale, without the slow tedious workflow that I was long use to with Reason.

Personal preference - I own both Reason 11 and S1 V5 Pro and typically prefer Reason by a long shot...horses for courses.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”