Reason 12 announced

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12 Reason Intro Reason Suite

I did too for a really long time. Reason is terrific and VERY stable. But it's just easier to manage some things in Studio One for me. Plugs, browser, multiple output VI's, the listen track, the mix FX. Like you, horses of courses :)

THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:49 pm
apoclypse wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:24 pm
That screen hurts my brain.
Working with Reason's SSL in the dark hurt my eyes... but to find that the Props didn't bother to apply customisation to the main mixer of the DAW when they introduced themes and haven't for years is bewildering. If Acoustica 'Mixcraft' and many other developers can do it, I see little reason why the Props can't.
Have you tried messaging Reason Studios about Themes Affect the Mixer cause I'm going to.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:59 pm Hardly, the mods didn't know how to handle criticism, let alone be critical of Reason itself, where they tried to defend everything props did, and let the mob culture dictate their decisions in who they wanted in their Reason forum fan club, with a mob centric group raising torches, going on witch hunts against the most vocal of individuals..even in the off topic sections of the site.
Yeah that's some made up shit right there, man. No wonder you got banned. :dog:
But it's easy to talk trash about something you haven't been a part of in years. Literally, on one of your last posts from 6 years ago (SIX. YEARS. AGO.) you were over at Reasontalk doing the same trolling there that you are doing here - now - in this thread. You need to work on a better future for yourself, man. Seriously.
THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:59 pm Led by Bavanity...
Yeah he got banned as well, and for good reason. :party: :clap:

Next?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jens wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:56 pm
antic604 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:48 pm
jens wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:35 pm If they really keep ignoring that fundamental part of their user-base karma will get them eventually, I don't doubt that - and then you won't see me weeping at their grave either.
Not if RPP users will outnumber and/or out-$ them :(
You do not alienate your core userbase like that and come out in one piece - even common sense should tell them that... it simply creates too much negative energy.
They were quite clever on that score when they released the rack as a plug-in.

What that does is:-

a) Keeps the people upgrading that don't think the daw needs improving so everything added is just a bonus to them.

b) Keeps the people upgrading that use the RRP in another daw as long as the rack has enticing feature upgrades.

So they'll still keep a good steady income coming in.

Eclectrophonic wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:04 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:49 pm
apoclypse wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:24 pm
That screen hurts my brain.
Working with Reason's SSL in the dark hurt my eyes... but to find that the Props didn't bother to apply customisation to the main mixer of the DAW when they introduced themes and haven't for years is bewildering. If Acoustica 'Mixcraft' and many other developers can do it, I see little reason why the Props can't.
Have you tried messaging Reason Studios about Themes Affect the Mixer cause I'm going to.
I did a bit more than that by posting a complete redesign of it to them over the years and I have done again tonight vie a message on their FB page so I'll see if any response is forthcoming regarding that. I'm sure they are well aware of how the SSL Mixer has been left for dead since it's Record 1.0 days.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Yeah, I agree with that. For one thing, I can't read it. My eyes just can't (er, or am I missing something about zooming? )

Also, it's heart is in the right place, but I don't like using it. I get better results using the SSL channel strip from the horses mouth so to speak. BTW, it's nice and big and easy to read :)

hitherepeople wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:52 pm Yeah, I agree with that. For one thing, I can't read it. My eyes just can't (er, or am I missing something about zooming?
I mean.. are you zooming? How can you not read it, zoomed in?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Eclectrophonic wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:55 pm
jens wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:56 pm
antic604 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:48 pm
jens wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:35 pm If they really keep ignoring that fundamental part of their user-base karma will get them eventually, I don't doubt that - and then you won't see me weeping at their grave either.
Not if RPP users will outnumber and/or out-$ them :(
You do not alienate your core userbase like that and come out in one piece - even common sense should tell them that... it simply creates too much negative energy.
They were quite clever on that score when they released the rack as a plug-in.

What that does is:-

a) Keeps the people upgrading that don't think the daw needs improving so everything added is just a bonus to them.

b) Keeps the people upgrading that use the RRP in another daw as long as the rack has enticing feature upgrades.

So they'll still keep a good steady income coming in.
Reason as a plugin is a completely different product to Reason as a DAW for completely different needs. It make a lot of sense to increase the potential user-base but not to replace one kind of user-base with another, quite different one, even if there is some overlap.

Someone else brought this up before and my reply was "I have zero interest in using Reason as a plugin. Why would I?"

And I certainly can't be the only one. I think KVR is mostly populated by what I would call "synth-tinkerer", so it isn't a big surprise if the overlap is quite significant here but if you are (say) more of a songwriter type of user, the idea of using Reason as a plugin probably won't fill you with much excitement.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

You know that you love a customized DAW when you run through your arsenal and think: "How am I ever going to find a new target for my GAS?". I got everything and even more than I will ever need. Was away from the release of Reason from 6.5 and came back to a miracle last summer. Wow! Just wow. I do not even have a reason to upgrade, but I might do it just to spend some cash and calm my withdrawal symptoms.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:10 amWas away from the release of Reason from 6.5 and came back to a miracle last summer. Wow! Just wow. I do not even have a reason to upgrade, but I might do it just to spend some cash and calm my withdrawal symptoms.
It's almost like you were ...excited by a DAW?! :dog:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Thrilled is the word, but you have to think the customizing with it. The DAW + all the extras and what you can do with it to your particular end.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

jens wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:45 am Someone else brought this up before and my reply was "I have zero interest in using Reason as a plugin. Why would I?"

Sorry to quote this from what is obviously a bigger picture, but I use it, sometimes.

Reason has some great synths (though I'm more of guitar player) and some terrific FX. Some RE's that I simply can't find alternatives to include but are not limited to:

Cakewalk LA2A
Ozone Maximizer (I think there is still a place for this one)
Chenille Chorus Ensemble
The primal audio filters
The McDSP stuff (all still really good. Why would I buy the VST version when I have reason 11? )

That doesn't even include the synths I like.

Like I said, reason will always have a special place in my heart, but I like Studio One better :)

hitherepeople wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:09 pm Why would I buy the VST version when I have reason 11? )
To be able to open/acess them directly without a tedious sub-host in between? ;-)

As a matter of fact I have hundreds of VST-plugins for all kinds of stuff... far far too many...
and I prefer the simple stuff that does what it says on the tin and does it really well and without
the requirement of much tinkering about... so even though I own Cherry Audio Voltage Modular (including the really nice PSP collection) I personally mostly don't see much of a point in using modular sub-hosts - my recommendation to anyone who wants to get stuff done is, to stay away from these for the most part of it - do you want to toy around, or do you want to make music?

So, in my opinion: Reason DAW to actually make music; Reason plugin to tinker about...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:45 am Someone else brought this up before and my reply was "I have zero interest in using Reason as a plugin. Why would I?"

And I certainly can't be the only one…but if you are (say) more of a songwriter type of user, the idea of using Reason as a plugin probably won't fill you with much excitement.
* raises hand *

That pretty much describes me to the letter, which is why I prefer to work in Reason DAW proper. And no - we’re not alone. Oddly enough Matthias (product manager) confirmed during the Reason 12 announcement media - on one of the YouTube discussions with Ryan Harlin - that the majority of Reasoners are still standalone DAW Reasoners. Not sure if that’ll change once 12 drops in September, though.

Surely in this boat too ^^^. When I returned to software last summer, I first tried Logic Pro X with Reason as a VSTi. However, I needed so much Reason stuff that I ended up with the most complex patch I ever made, and all had to be controlled with players inside that patch because I didn´t have the usual Reason tracks. A clusterfck of unseen dimensions in my patch making story. Eventually Logic got deleted, and I continued the adventure within the Reason DAW instead. What a major relief.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”