Largo Vs. Komplexer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

yobare wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:45 pm Why do they not upgrade komplexer looks like an awesome synth
Is Terratec even around these days? Pretty sure they went under long time ago and lost any kind of relevance in audio market.
No signature here!

It was The structure and The idea some one talked about load and export wavetables.

Like diffrent pages.

Something good. And more usefull. Does komplexer only have 4 waveforms?

Im thinking of a synth with 3 osc. Then 16 waveforms and morph between them all. Then The 4 diffrent style pwm mode im normaly using. Then wavemodulation. And load and export waveforms on The morph waveforms.

Something like that.

I mean so you can load and export on The waveforms and choose The ones u self want.

chk071 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:19 pm The big issue is the copy protection. Komplexer came with a CD protection, which doesn't work in any 64-bit operating system after Windows XP. So, you still have to use a registry hack, to fake it into thinking you are using another Windows version (which might cause trouble for other applications, I had a issue with AVG after that, for example).

As Komplexer is 32-bit only, and it didn't work issue free for me with jBridge either, I don't think it is worth the hassle nowadays. Largo sounds different, yes, more bright, and the bass boost is also much more prominent, but, if want to get the Waldorf sound in the box, Largo is the way to go, in my opinion.

Funnily, Komplexer also uses more CPU than Largo (which is a thing I noticed with several 32-bit plugins, that they simply use more CPU than their 64-bit counterparts).
The big advantage of Komplexer is the possibility to import your own wavetables. Only Waldorf knows why this is not possible with Largo and PPG 3.V.
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

robotmonkey wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:54 pm
yobare wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:45 pm Why do they not upgrade komplexer looks like an awesome synth
Is Terratec even around these days?
Terratec Producer, which was their pro audio brand, is definitely dead.

chk071 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:33 pm
robotmonkey wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:54 pm
Is Terratec even around these days?
Terratec Producer, which was their pro audio brand, is definitely dead.
Yes, unfortunately, but still the Komplexer is a great synth and with our Audioterm you can create new wavetables.
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

Komplexer definitely is a great synth. :) If it would be 64-bit, I'd surely still use it.

I am trying to eliminate one of the other from my arsenal and am coming to the conclusion I cant. I acknowledge they were both written by Stefan Stenzel, at least the audio. He also coded the audio of Q and uQ. He started out on ATARI 800 assembly. He's from my generation. I tried to learn that on the Commodore. The guy that coded Virus cut his teeth on C64 assembly. Anyway I believe they are all the same, other wise there would be no uQ import in Komplexer. I am talking about the audio engine and especially the oscillator modelling. W Franke is on record saying the Q oscillator was modeled on the Pulse, which is actually what I am after. But anyway, Largo has osc brilliance which I think throws people. If you set it at 64 you are in the Komplexer / Q, uQ zone. Bass boost on (for both) for Pulse sound modelling (I check on an oscilloscope against pulse sawtooth). I think people rely on hunches too much analyzing these particular instruments. I don't think there is much difference. But Komplexer will work with Harmor Wavetables for example, and Audioterm can make those which is great for the hyper creatives and sound design. But in terms of practical use. I dunno. How much music do people really make with Autioterm WT's? I can FM off of Largo's WTs. How many harmonic generation and reduction tools can you utilize effectively? I have a feeling this is steering me toward Largo, and occasionally using Komplexer as the need arises, which might be never, since I am a Harmor user to, and actually rely on DUNE 3 for wavetabling. I dunno. It might just come down to asthetics really, and then having to listen to all the crap people come up with as to why they REALLY choose one or the other :zzz: . Sound is the only metric. Actually music.

Sonic Summary:

Similarities:

I A/B tested the following on Komplexer & Largo. I didn't listen, I only used an oscilloscope. The results for as far as I got were identical, so I stopped. (Largo Brilliance set to 0)

Pulse - filter off. Saw - filter off. Add 24db LP at 1/2. Add drive (Hard) at 1/2. Add resonance at 1/2:

Identical scope images from Komplexer to Largo during every change.

A/B of Bass Boost in any configuration:

Identical scope images from Komplexer to Largo.

Differences:

Komplexer has two basic WTs but they cover a lot of utility. It can load outside WTs.

Largo has the full Waldorf WT compliment. It cannot load outside WTs

Largo has oscillator "Brilliance" adjustment. Komplexer does not.

On the Saw and Square, Brilliance gradually (adjustably) adds a spike to the beginning of the wave.

On the Sine and Triangle, Brilliance has no effect.

On the wavetable waves, Brilliance gradually (adjustably) adds a stair step to the wave (quantize) which gives authentic PPG sound effect. This effect extends to the saw, square, and triangle present at the end of every wavetable (I tested).

Largo has two additional filter drive types. "Pickup 1" and "Pickup 2"

Largo has all effects available for Effect 1.
Komplexer doesn't have delay and reverb available for Effect 1.
Komplexer lists Effect 2 as "Global"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The big outstanding item is I do not know exactly how the wavetables of Komplexer are represented to the system, and how the wavetables of Largo are presented to the system. I do not know if their formats are the same, and of the same quality. I know the Komplexer / Harmor wavetables have 33 slots for example. 33 frames. Wheras Blofeld contains 63, and I believe Blofeld and Largo share wavetable specifications.

==================================================

Conclusion (me): Largo has a few more sonic capabilities especially in regard to adding certain useful harmonics. I will use Largo going forward unless I am in the mood to use WTs I create in Audioterm.
Last edited by MutantHero on Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

This tells me something else. All those uQ patches that converted successfully to play in Komplexer should also play in Largo. But there is no facility to do it except by hand.

I would still like to see a dry sawtooth on a scope coming from 1) Q, and 2) Pulse. If anyone could do that it would be really nice.

Return to “Instruments”