Soundtoys are they now overated? My thinking is...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Delay Lama

I think that Soundtoys still gets a very high rating from many people, and not without reason. However, there is an alternative for almost everything and sometimes the alternatives are at least not much worse. I would say that today you hardly have plugins that are so extremely praised that you could say they are overrated.

v1o wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:42 pm Listen to any Tchad Blake record like the Black Keys or Arctic Monkeys - they have the Soundtoys sound all over them.
Do you have an example song or sound you are referring to here?

Would love to take a listen and see if I agree. I can't particularly think of anything that makes me go.. Ah - they must have used soundtoys...

_leras wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:40 pm
v1o wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:42 pm Listen to any Tchad Blake record like the Black Keys or Arctic Monkeys - they have the Soundtoys sound all over them.

Would love to take a listen and see if I agree. I can't particularly think of anything that makes me go.. Ah - they must have used soundtoys...
I was just working on a rock record with a well known producer and for what it’s worth, he’s also a big fan of the soundtoys stuff and used filterfreak quite a lot when we were working. Devil loc was used a lot too.

I personally think Soundtoys may be a bit underrated because of the age of the plugins. The GUI may be “outdated” but each and every plugin is A+ in my book (the sound).

I just wish they added a dedicated compressor and better eq options. As well as a more versatile reverb. Outside of that no complaints from me!

I’ve sold my bundle before and every time I regret it because trying to find replacements for crystalizer or recreate some of those weirder effects, is just a pain in the backside.

Life would not be as good without echoboy.

They built up a lot of goodwill years ago by giving away free plugins and nice discounts when upgrading to the bundle. The problem is this generosity basically ceased a few years ago and so the value of their bundle needs a re-assessment. There are plenty of other bundles I'd sooner get, notably Arturia's FX bundle.

SoftSynthLover99 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:55 pm
_leras wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:40 pm

I was just working on a rock record with a well known producer and for what it’s worth, he’s also a big fan of the soundtoys stuff and used filterfreak quite a lot when we were working. Devil loc was used a lot too.

I personally think Soundtoys may be a bit underrated because of the age of the plugins. The GUI may be “outdated” but each and every plugin is A+ in my book (the sound).

I just wish they added a dedicated compressor and better eq options. As well as a more versatile reverb. Outside of that no complaints from me!

I’ve sold my bundle before and every time I regret it because trying to find replacements for crystalizer or recreate some of those weirder effects, is just a pain in the backside.
Eventide Crystals seems like a good replacement for Crystallizer.

They are not overated, but they are replaceable. For me Valhalla Delay is good replacement for EchoBoy, love their copy protection compared to Sound Toys, for example.

SoftSynthLover99 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:55 pm I personally think Soundtoys may be a bit underrated because of the age of the plugins. The GUI may be “outdated” but each and every plugin is A+ in my book (the sound).
This is what it’s all about: the sound. Ok, that’s very subjective, but with so many people saying the same, maybe it’s more like ‘obsubjective’. Bought the EffectRack here through KVR very recently and already fell in love with the sound. Man, just wish I had this earlier!
At the beginning of something beautiful...

I wonder about the (lack of) pace from the development team. I feel like Bitwig has got to version 4 in the time that Soundtoys has released nothing new. That is not the sign of a thriving company, generally speaking. Of course they are small but many small developers release more and faster on a consistent basis.

Well, my thought is what should they do differently? I'm not sure specifically what they should do. Maybe something new? VST3?

I don’t think they’re that ‘dormant’. Last update was March 2021. Ok, no new things, but still cleaning out bugs and make the plugins usable within current DAWs.

And about the ‘dated’ looks… does anyone has real complains about the looks of U-He’s Diva? It’s functional and sounds great. Just like SoundToys IMHO.
At the beginning of something beautiful...

Oddly enough, I'm testing "tape echoes" and dusted off my old favorite (echoboy) and it's just awesome :)

Been using verb more than delay lately.

They’re as good as anything out there. They haven’t done a new plug-in for a while, but they keep what they have up to date, and their plugs work very well indeed.

Dust_NL wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:01 pm I don’t think they’re that ‘dormant’. Last update was March 2021. Ok, no new things, but still cleaning out bugs and make the plugins usable within current DAWs.

And about the ‘dated’ looks… does anyone has real complains about the looks of U-He’s Diva? It’s functional and sounds great. Just like SoundToys IMHO.
No - but at least it supports hidpi/retina resolution, and i use AIKO skin anyway - original skin was a big turnaway for me.

I didnt want to buy microtonic till now - now that it has skinning one of the 5 current supplied skins is so much more inspiring i’ll 100% buy it.

dolomick wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:41 pm I wonder about the (lack of) pace from the development team. I feel like Bitwig has got to version 4 in the time that Soundtoys has released nothing new. That is not the sign of a thriving company, generally speaking. Of course they are small but many small developers release more and faster on a consistent basis.
I'd venture to guess nearly every major studio on the planet has Echoboy & Decapitator.

Return to “Effects”