Live 11 'Lite' gets an update and now has MPE!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Limiting yourself to eight tracks when making music can actually be really inspiring. Do you get unlimited sends and buses with Live Lite?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

hoxclab wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:52 am Bitwig, Live and Reason are great for noodling around but actually getting anything productive done in them is quite difficult in my experience.
Which is why Reason became a plugin. Plenty of people enjoying making loops or riffs in the above trio and then using Pro Tools or Cubase to make it into a full song.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:25 pm Do you get unlimited sends and buses with Live Lite?
No, everything have a limit.
https://www.ableton.com/en/products/live-lite/features/

I've tried a few times over the last two decades to get into Live. Had a Live Lite 9 license from the purchase of a Zoom H1 years ago. It never really clicked but then I never had anyone holding my hand showing me what was what. I was then recommended this amazing video series on Live 10 for total beginners and it's been a revelation. I am very slowly going through them all with Live Lite 11 (sometimes skipping vids if they deal with an aspect that's not included with Lite). I am loving it so far. I have made a promise to myself not to upgrade to Standard until I have totally exhausted the possibilities with the limited 8 tracks of Lite. But I probably will do at some stage. :)

Here's the link, hopefully it might be helpful to some other people who never "got" Live before, like me. He goes very slow and explains everything really well, which is just what I needed:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 3M4AT7I3Z0

I still have LL and just tinker with it. Great concept and they just keep making it better and better. MPE hun? Well I still haven't got a Roli yet. Studio One just released VST3 support for MPE and people seem to be pretty stoked. I wonder about a Roli block, the rise really wouldn't fit on my desk.

Looking through the feature list in Lite 11 I see they've also added the Limiter and Saturator from the bigger editions. That plus the doubling of max scenes to 16 is a nice upgrade from previous Lite editions.

With creative use of racks you can squeeze a lot out of those 8 tracks.
Image Image Image Image

Ableton are exceedingly generous in allowing export of all 8 tracks at up to 32 bit depth. I just made a 6 track tune in Live Lite session view and exported it to Cubase for further development.

And of course lets not forget that its quite possible to export and then re-import the full 8 track master in the same way that we used to do with four track tape decks, but this time without degradation, because its in the digital domain. I guess that doing it like this a song could have an unlimited number of virtual tracks. But of course without being able to further edit those individual tracks.

I guess that in being so generous Ableton hope that people will go on to purchase the full standard version, and many do.

Did any version of live ever add more vst paths? I don't have everything in one place (the installer usually makes that decision) ?

hitherepeople wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:28 pm Did any version of live ever add more vst paths? I don't have everything in one place (the installer usually makes that decision) ?
You can make create a shortcut of your VST folders and drop it into the main VST folder and Live will find them.

hitherepeople wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:28 pm Did any version of live ever add more vst paths? I don't have everything in one place (the installer usually makes that decision) ?
You can have one custom VST2 directory and two VST3 directories, the default ('System') one and a custom dir.

Ok, so other than the VST 3 stuff, it's the same then. I haven't updated to 11 though I'm sure I can. I think I'm at version 9? Yeah, 9 :lol:

Guess instead of shooting my mouth off here I should get it upgraded!

Edit done. Will play around later, thanks for the info.

I always override the installer to make sure the plug-ins go into \Steinberg\VSTPlugins. I don't think this is really an issue on macOS where vendors seem to always use the default folder. No doubt, Apple is stricter about this.

Well, I use "vstplugins" for my folder. Seems to me, a long time ago, the Steinberg folder was the "it" folder. Now the installers seem to want something else, so I try to direct there.

What I've noticed so far, is that the duplicate VST2 stuff is not there, only the VST3 version shows up. Meaning that if I have two versions, only the VST3 shows. Maybe that is by design?

I was REALLY impressed that it automatically recognized my ATOM. But there is still no actual Nektar support :( Oh well, I'll figure it out, I always do.

dellboy wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:00 pm I guess that in being so generous Ableton hope that people will go on to purchase the full standard version, and many do.
Yep, I’m one of those guys. Got Live Lite 9 ‘for free’ with a Novation Launchpad mk2, could upgrade it to 10 standard, bought Push 2 and then upgraded to 10 Suite with free upgrade to Suite 11.

It all started with a free license of Live Lite 9… :D
At the beginning of something beautiful...

So with all the MPE in place everywhere, I went looking for a Seaboard and geez, they're not in stock and not generally available used.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”