Moan - THAT Slate email

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kazi7 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:14 pm Why would you need so many compressors and EQs anyway? A few good ones or in fact one multipurpose Pro-Q type EQ should have you covered for all potential tasks.
I agree with this, but it's so much more than some compressors or eq's. The reverbs are quite nice, I like the soundpacks (perfect for XO) and things like the vcc channel are really quite nice.

Everyone is different.

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:05 am weird, i got this one. i think its the original draft version....
Hey Music Maker—

Plugin companies painted themselves into a tight corner. On the one hand, they need to make enough money to keep developing cool new products. But on the other, producers want those new products to be really affordable. How affordable? So affordable that some companies got worried.

That led to some creative workarounds, including one big hat trick 🎩

Charge a small amount for the plugin, but as soon as the end of the month comes around, charge the customer again.

New OS updates meant customers would keep asking for newer versions of the plugin they already paid for. And that's how subscription plans were born: charge customers when they first buy plugins, then make them pay over and over again forever if they want those plugins to keep working.

We thought of a better way 💡

Get all of our plugins perpetually. And when it's time there's an update to those plugins, you can choose if and when you want to pay for that. And every time we release a new plugin, you can choose to buy that or not, too. In all, you can get all sorts of plugins—the same ones used on hit records in every genre— and not have to pay forever to keep using them.

Never pay a cent to keep using your plugins again.
join the resistance
:lol: :hihi:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Got the cringe email as well. I asked them about Hi DPI support for Windows and they said it would only be in their new plugins but not VMR and those. So, it's not like they are updating anything so you are paying for a subscription fee for them to not update plugins.

It should have been more like, we are not going to update old plugins but you keep get more and more new plugins most of which you probably don't need because they are redundant at some point.

soulata wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:28 am Anyone got their latest email?

join the resistance & stop paying to update your plugins

What the f is he thinking? That people don't notice they're paying for the plugins (updated or not) each month?

He's really Kanye of music sw advertising...

k
I just laughed when I read that email. Who do he think we are? ******* Who do he think he can fool? Slate is known for releasing plugins but isn't interested in updating buggy plugins e.g. FX limiter plugin. It's been years users have complained and wanted an update and he has a few times promised an update. But have we seen it? No of course not.

Everytime I receive an email from Slate Digital, my first thought is “how is he going to promote subscription this time?”. And everytime he’s more and more creative with the wording. I often read the whole email to see what he came up with and how he will reach the point of promoting subscriptions…

I felt the “join the resistance” was perhaps a bit too much for me, but we all know that Slate business model is focused on subscription and he heavily promotes it.

Seriously, what do you expect from a Slate Digital email? You all know that most of the time it is about subscription (yes, I’m spoiled). And if you’re not into software subscription (as I am - I want lifetime licenses only), you’re going to ignore it straight away…

:shrug:
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

His tactics have always been janky. He's a salesman, no doubt about it. Reminds me of old used car commercials ;)

Still, I've put my subscription to very good use :)

No subs for me. But it must work or they would surely give up. Or at least put similar effort into outright sales.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

True, but I look at it this way, I can spend 14.95 a month for the full extent (which I do use) and I'll get ever single soundpack, plug, etc. Or, you can spend 150 bucks (or maybe some more? ) for a perpetual license. So, if you have so few, perpetual licenses can make sense. But what I've paid in subs is far less than to have bought what I use and what I'd have to have paid for some of the updates.

I mean even if you go 10 years with a sub, it's still cost effective for me. And though I can't predict the future, I'm pretty sure there are more goodies to come :)

Same with Sphere. I could have paid for an upgrade to version 5 for a reasonable amount of money. But I've only been on 5 for maybe... 4 months? And there is the mix fx (which I use) and the soundsets (which I use) so a subscription makes sense. BTW, both of these subscriptions can be halted and restarted at will :) So you don't use it anymore, no problem.

What I did was wait for great 2nd hand deals. I've spent maybe $30-50 on each product I have. VMR with about 50% of the paid optional plugins, VBC, VTR and Elosis AirEQ and De-esser. I spent about $300 total with no need to shell out a monthly fee.

plexuss wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:11 pm What I did was wait for great 2nd hand deals. I've spent maybe $30-50 on each product I have. VMR with about 50% of the paid optional plugins, VBC, VTR and Elosis AirEQ and De-esser. I spent about $300 total with no need to shell out a monthly fee.
That's a good idea.

plexuss wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:11 pm What I did was wait for great 2nd hand deals. I've spent maybe $30-50 on each product I have. VMR with about 50% of the paid optional plugins, VBC, VTR and Elosis AirEQ and De-esser. I spent about $300 total with no need to shell out a monthly fee.
And the beauty of it : You still get all the updates, without having to pay monthly :wink:
More BPM please

I really don't want to come across as a plant for Slate :lol:

But I have to say, ANA2, the two gates in the VMR, again the soundpacks (while I use a lot) are just the examples I have of the good side of the sub. If it's an upgrade, you would have to pay for that, well, likely.

hitherepeople wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:20 pm I really don't want to come across as a plant for Slate :lol:

But I have to say, ANA2, the two gates in the VMR, again the soundpacks (while I use a lot) are just the examples I have of the good side of the sub. If it's an upgrade, you would have to pay for that, well, likely.
In 5 years you'd have paid out $870US (or $750 if paid annually) and have to continue to pay out after that. If that works for you, over perpetual licenses, great! Maybe it's a business expense and write-off which could make subscriptions make better sense for people. Or, subscriptions are just a preference.

Wow... You'd be stupid not to sub for some new samples and ANA 2 which some nu skins. LOL

Effectsworks wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:46 am Wow... You'd be stupid not to sub for some new samples and ANA 2 which some nu skins. LOL
I think subs make sense for specific use-cases, like issues related to cash flow, taxes etc. But in general 1:1 they dont make much sense. But for people where a sub makes more sense, for sure, good there are those options.

Return to “Effects”