MultiTrack Studio (MTS)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MultitrackStudio

Anybody using this? I'd never heard of it until today but it looks like a decent enough no-frills host. It's up to version 10 so I imagine it works OK. I don't mind the idea of the horizontal mixer so you can put everything in one window, rather than having a separate mixer window like everything else has.

https://www.multitrackstudio.com/index.php

They have a "free Lite version" so I might give that a whirl, if I can find the time. I'm keen to see what their touchscreen support is like, it could be handy on stage.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

It doesn't quite have a conventional timeline - its Song Editor and Multitrack Editor would be closest, but they are kind of an after thought - originally both did not exist - it started life more like a virtual tape-recorder than a sequencer...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Downloaded the lite version to test. It says it can't handle more than three tracks but bouncing could be useful.

Yeah, I just spent half-an-hour with the Lite version - worst piano roll of all time. I uninstalled it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:36 am Yeah, I just spent half-an-hour with the Lite version - worst piano roll of all time. I uninstalled it.
I see what you mean. I uninstalled it too.

I’ve had it since v4. It’s great. Very stable, very responsive developer. He just fixed a NI and vst3 issue for me. A new version was uploaded in a couple of days.

Nothing wrong with the timeline or midi editing. It goes it’s own way and has never tried to be anything but what it is. I use it all the time to record basic multitracks. File and project management is a breeze. Bouncing and nondestructive editing, multiple takes… it’s a really really good program. I can’t think of any other software I have gotten more value out of over the last decade plus. I always go back because it is fast and comfortable.

It's actually kind of a cool application. Once I got the piano roll down. But the timeline management is too sucky for me. It took forever to get a loop set up as when set to bars:beats, no numbers show up on the timeline. As well, there's no apparent way to expand or contract it. I think a mashup of this and Tracktion/Waveform is in order! :D
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

MTS Pro is a solid piece of software for anyone looking for a tape recorder substitute. And while it handles basic audio and MIDI decently, it can't compete with the likes of Cubase, Bitwig, FLS Studio, etc. in terms of manipulating beats and complex sound design, because frankly, it's not meant to.

Bottom line, its intended to be a streamlined software multitracker for musicians who want a bit more flexibility than a hardware tape recorder can offer.

PROS: Rock solid. Developer very open, responsive to feedback/issues. Runs on PC and Mac. Easy to get up and running. Inexpensive (Especially considering it's a lifetime license).

CONS: Basic features and GUI not everyone's cup of tea (ie. no conventional mixer view). Because of the software's lack of sexiness, it's barely mentioned in the audio forums.

Longtime users consider it an underrated gem. I'm a veteran DAW user and own three "flagship" DAWs, yet I often fire up MTS Pro for straight-ahead songwriting (Without the hundreds of options in other DAWs that too often create a distraction). In fact, this is the software I show to people who want to get into simple music recording but are intimidated by the "feature-rich" competition.

After some good reviews and my unfortunate loss of Cakewalk, I have downloaded it again and will attempt to get used to its quirks.

Looks interesting, but if you look for a good, straight forward and relatively obscure DAW, for 10$ more you can get Mixcraft 9 which is much more powerful.

I'm getting to like this now. It's not the most intuitive DAW there is but it's solid and it has a "looseness" in the piano roll that I think may humanise the music somewhat. I wish I knew a simple way to duplicate a track though.

I quite like the approach really. And I truly like the small footprint and super responsiveness.

And while I don't love the piano roll being modal, I don't think it's the worst ever. You can add, move, stretch, and delete notes which is all I require.

My major beef would be that it doesn't seem to be scalable and everything was pretty tiny on my 5K iMac (under Windows at least). Also, there doesn't seem to be any audio stretching.

I'd love to see a Linux version.

Downloaded the free version a couple of months back. Not been using it a lot but its quite nice imo
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Seems it is scalable. My bad. It also allows audio stretching, etc, but apparently only in the pay version. Super fast response from the developer to my questions.

I just downloaded Multitrack again and I'm quite surprised by the amount of good features it has gained like multi-instruments, articulations, parallel effects, multiband effects and more. It is much more powerful than I've remembered, and slick looking, but not having separate "events" or "clips" for midi tracks and instead having one continuous timeline, is something i try to wrap my head around, it is different then any other DAW on the market in that regard.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”