Need a new reverb for my dark ambient stuff (mostly gas I think)

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRAF
3975 posts since 26 Nov, 2015 from Way Downunder

Post Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:07 pm

No it doesn't really. Don't take it as pretencious that someone's looking for a "dark ambient reverb" - they just mean a reverb that might be suitable for that kind of music. It could be any reverb, it depends on what you apply it to. However, I do think there are certain reverbs that lend themselves to ambient... those being: modulated, with freeze functions and other ambient-friendly features.

User avatar
KVRAF
6573 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:00 pm

MogwaiBoy wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:07 pm
No it doesn't really. Don't take it as pretencious that someone's looking for a "dark ambient reverb" - they just mean a reverb that might be suitable for that kind of music. It could be any reverb, it depends on what you apply it to. However, I do think there are certain reverbs that lend themselves to ambient... those being: modulated, with freeze functions and other ambient-friendly features.
That is true indeed. Xenoverb comes to mind but i know there is loads more out there.
EnergyXT3 - Reaper | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

KVRAF
3975 posts since 26 Nov, 2015 from Way Downunder

Post Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:03 pm

Xenoverb is awesome! I think I paid, what, $10 for it?! Value.

User avatar
KVRAF
6573 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:04 pm

Yes i paid something like that myself actually
EnergyXT3 - Reaper | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

KVRAF
3927 posts since 15 Sep, 2010

Post Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:58 pm

Your sound sources are the key for dark ambient, not the reverb.
__________________________________________________
http://redfog-drone.bandcamp.com
http://soundcloud.com/sleeping-on-lotus-ashes
__________________________________________________

KVRist
217 posts since 30 Jan, 2015

Post Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:54 pm

D16 Toraverb2 springs to mind. Was always a favourite for Techno dark/industrial stuff.

KVRian
1214 posts since 26 Feb, 2016

Post Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:50 am

Zynaptiq verbs are good for ambient.
Blackhole is worth looking at.
Most reverbs that create dense delays will work well.
If you want it dark, adjust the filters to tone down the high frequencies.

KVRian
955 posts since 30 Jun, 2014 from Pacific NW

Post Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:35 am

noiseresearch wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:35 pm
MogwaiBoy wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:41 pm
I make dark ambient. You need Blackhole.
Never understood the "hype" about Blackhole. Definitely not my cup of tea soundwise never was.

I've also to admit that I never got why plate verbs are so popular. Maybe it's a guitarist thing? My drones, pads and ears are simply not happy with dedicated plate verbs... Maybe wrong settings.
Valhalla Supermassive is free. Try the Vger preset.

Convolution: one of the best that's not crazy expensive is Reverberate 3. Also worth trying Seventh Heaven Pro.

D16 Toraverb2 is meant for effect, not real spaces. Worth checking out. Not expensive.

Relab SonsigA is a great reverb - tends to be a bit on the bright side.

Soundtoys Little Plate is probably the darkest plate I've ever heard. It can be nice layered in with something else.

KVRist
207 posts since 13 Oct, 2006

Post Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:19 am

Another vote for Polyverse Comet. It can do the lush long reverbs you are looking for, but it can do some very strange reverbs also. You can set a time delay for changing presets that slowly modulates parameters from the old preset to the new one in real time, like some of the OhmForce stuff. Like a very detailed crossfade. You can get some great effects out of this. I use lots of reverbs, but this one owns its own corner of my room
2020 iMac 27" 10 Core, OS 10.15.6, iConnectAudio2+, iConnectMidi4+, Novation SL MKIII, Push 2, Ableton Live

User avatar
KVRian

Topic Starter

1023 posts since 14 Apr, 2008 from /* whitenoise */

Post Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:26 pm

krankyone wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:19 am
Another vote for Polyverse Comet. It can do the lush long reverbs you are looking for, but it can do some very strange reverbs also. You can set a time delay for changing presets that slowly modulates parameters from the old preset to the new one in real time, like some of the OhmForce stuff. Like a very detailed crossfade. You can get some great effects out of this. I use lots of reverbs, but this one owns its own corner of my room
I'll stick to the reverbs effects I have right now... But I'll Comet a try once it's on sale...
I was just gas-ing I think... :hihi:
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

KVRAF
3975 posts since 26 Nov, 2015 from Way Downunder

Post Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:40 pm

Comet is a new one for me. I mean, I knew it existed but I haven't explored videos of it, demo'd it or heard any chatter about it. Seems to be well off the radar unfortunately. It is a little pricey which I guess doesn't help it.

KVRer
2 posts since 28 Dec, 2020

Post Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:33 pm

Neunaber wet reverberator is also a really great reverb, a bit like Polyverse Comet.

KVRAF
1694 posts since 26 Aug, 2012

Post Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:13 am

My advice is stop spending money. You got a list of reverbs that do the same thing and sound the same. If you want it darker, put a filter on it or something. There's really no magic bullets. People sa-eem to think that there's this great reverb I need to buy that'll make my tracks magically pop. It ain't gonna happen.

User avatar
KVRian
908 posts since 20 Apr, 2005

Post Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:00 am

Kinh wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:13 am
My advice is stop spending money. You got a list of reverbs that do the same thing and sound the same. If you want it darker, put a filter on it or something. There's really no magic bullets. People sa-eem to think that there's this great reverb I need to buy that'll make my tracks magically pop. It ain't gonna happen.
Exactly this, roll off the top end of the delay/reverb sends until it's dark enough.

You can also compress and saturate these sends to add further to the effect.

KVRAF
3975 posts since 26 Nov, 2015 from Way Downunder

Post Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:09 pm

Ofcourse, you can even make everything with stock plugins, so might as well just shut down this forum :P

In the meantime, there are some reverb plugins that are well suited to ambient productions, and it's not offensive to ask for recommendations.

Return to “Effects”