/* static noise */

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

No it doesn't really. Don't take it as pretencious that someone's looking for a "dark ambient reverb" - they just mean a reverb that might be suitable for that kind of music. It could be any reverb, it depends on what you apply it to. However, I do think there are certain reverbs that lend themselves to ambient... those being: modulated, with freeze functions and other ambient-friendly features.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:07 am No it doesn't really. Don't take it as pretencious that someone's looking for a "dark ambient reverb" - they just mean a reverb that might be suitable for that kind of music. It could be any reverb, it depends on what you apply it to. However, I do think there are certain reverbs that lend themselves to ambient... those being: modulated, with freeze functions and other ambient-friendly features.
That is true indeed. Xenoverb comes to mind but i know there is loads more out there.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Xenoverb is awesome! I think I paid, what, $10 for it?! Value.

Yes i paid something like that myself actually
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Your sound sources are the key for dark ambient, not the reverb.

D16 Toraverb2 springs to mind. Was always a favourite for Techno dark/industrial stuff.

Zynaptiq verbs are good for ambient.
Blackhole is worth looking at.
Most reverbs that create dense delays will work well.
If you want it dark, adjust the filters to tone down the high frequencies.

noiseresearch wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:35 am
MogwaiBoy wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:41 pm I make dark ambient. You need Blackhole.
Never understood the "hype" about Blackhole. Definitely not my cup of tea soundwise never was.

I've also to admit that I never got why plate verbs are so popular. Maybe it's a guitarist thing? My drones, pads and ears are simply not happy with dedicated plate verbs... Maybe wrong settings.
Valhalla Supermassive is free. Try the Vger preset.

Convolution: one of the best that's not crazy expensive is Reverberate 3. Also worth trying Seventh Heaven Pro.

D16 Toraverb2 is meant for effect, not real spaces. Worth checking out. Not expensive.

Relab SonsigA is a great reverb - tends to be a bit on the bright side.

Soundtoys Little Plate is probably the darkest plate I've ever heard. It can be nice layered in with something else.

Another vote for Polyverse Comet. It can do the lush long reverbs you are looking for, but it can do some very strange reverbs also. You can set a time delay for changing presets that slowly modulates parameters from the old preset to the new one in real time, like some of the OhmForce stuff. Like a very detailed crossfade. You can get some great effects out of this. I use lots of reverbs, but this one owns its own corner of my room
2020 iMac 27" 10 Core, OS 12.6.6, iConnectAudio2+, iConnectMidi4+, Novation SL MKIII, Push 2, Ableton Live, VCV Rack Pro 2, Bitwig Studio

/* static noise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

Comet is a new one for me. I mean, I knew it existed but I haven't explored videos of it, demo'd it or heard any chatter about it. Seems to be well off the radar unfortunately. It is a little pricey which I guess doesn't help it.

Neunaber wet reverberator is also a really great reverb, a bit like Polyverse Comet.

My advice is stop spending money. You got a list of reverbs that do the same thing and sound the same. If you want it darker, put a filter on it or something. There's really no magic bullets. People sa-eem to think that there's this great reverb I need to buy that'll make my tracks magically pop. It ain't gonna happen.

Kinh wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:13 pm My advice is stop spending money. You got a list of reverbs that do the same thing and sound the same. If you want it darker, put a filter on it or something. There's really no magic bullets. People sa-eem to think that there's this great reverb I need to buy that'll make my tracks magically pop. It ain't gonna happen.
Exactly this, roll off the top end of the delay/reverb sends until it's dark enough.

You can also compress and saturate these sends to add further to the effect.

Ofcourse, you can even make everything with stock plugins, so might as well just shut down this forum :P

In the meantime, there are some reverb plugins that are well suited to ambient productions, and it's not offensive to ask for recommendations.

Return to “Effects”